585,687 active members*
4,229 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fixed Gantry for Steel/Aluminum

Greetings,

I got into metal works recently and I feel I really need a CNC. I couldn't resist ordering the parts after going through the exciting builds on this forums. i thought i would learn along trying:
    > UB1 - UC300 - UCCNC
    > HBS860H Driver
    > 12Nm Closed Loop Hybrid Stepper Motor
    > 60V/400W/6.6A PSU

I started putting the parts together of the control box as per the diagram/photo, Still didn't receive the 60V/400W/6.6A PSU's for the steppers, so until then I thought I should share the setup with you guys hoping to have everything planned until I have all the parts to avoid blowing or damaging the parts.

For the frame for now I'm thinking to make it fixed gantry, I liked how UCBones build turned, so I started designing similar frame I will share it soon. The reason i chose this control box setup, because its up-gradable, mainly will allow me to add another 2 axis in the future.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the setup, and love to share my current concerns below :
    1- I'm not sure how critical is the DIP switches on the drivers are, because it came randomly set on all drivers, so I made all switches as default. I should be fine with that?
    2- I currently have a 48V/20A PSU from a previous wood CNC build I want to test at least one driver/motor, would this work? or better wait for the PSUs on the way (60V/400W/6.6A)? i'm afraid to try it and blow/damage some parts!

Re: Fixed Gantry for Steel/Aluminum

HI QD - Lower voltage and power won't hurt the stuff. Just means it won't have same torque. But its fun to get the motors turning asap!! Peter

Quote Originally Posted by QsDesign View Post
    1- I'm not sure how critical is the DIP switches on the drivers are, because it came randomly set on all drivers, so I made all switches as default. I should be fine with that?
    Is this a Leadshine product? I couldn't find the part number for your drivers on the Leadshine website.

Regardless, you need to get a manual for these to see what the different DIP switches do. They set the microstepping and also limit the current depending on what motor is used. You should take the time to set these switches correctly before using them.

I haven't used these drivers or motors....but it looks like you can connect the drivers to a PC to program them, the same as you might do for something like an MDrive. Not sure if you need to do this or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_IKvZJIPQ

Thank you both Peter and NIC 77

i have received the 60V PSUs, and made the connection as per the diagram and video link below:

https://vimeo.com/user119260877/revi...990/d75986a526

motor is not moving when i jog as you can see, i'm not sure if the CP (ChargePump) blinking is the problem!!?

New link for the video:

I don't think its the DIP switches i've set it to default, and wiring seems to be fine. I also tried the UB1 profile from cncroom, same results the motors not moving.

https://youtu.be/CvyhCcgqLCw

I haven't used UCCNC, this board, or these drivers. So I'm not really the guy to ask about your specific problem.

But a quick look, and I can see that you haven't connected your encoder wires. For a "closed loop" stepper driver I'm guessing you need to do that before it will work.

Video below, watch it on YouTube so you can read the description. He has a dropbox link there to some documentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9EpLjhIOVQ

For the next video (below), you can see that he has the encoder wires connected. Also, if you watch it on YouTube and read the comments:

"Issue was i was set to send the signal at 400khz, reducing to 200khz as per driver datasheet, i am ok now"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjbMu5mCc9s

Thank you so much for your time NIC 77.

i have seen those videos, I already tried adjusting the frequency at 200khz but no change.

I did watch Franco’s video after I received the motors, and
    I did order the cable just in case I need it but still didn’t receive it yet.
    Thought I can get away with factory setting that’s what I’m trying.

In any ways I will try his instructions, i'll try make the cable my self.

At his video he mentioned that ho only changed the holding current were he made it 20%.
    Although i don't think this is my only problem here yet i'll give it a try.

Problem solved, I had the encoder wired incorrectly:

I will now continue connecting all motors and limit switches,

one question though is that sound normal after the motor stops?

https://youtu.be/gH7WRHc-AAw

Hi Q - Yes