585,604 active members*
3,288 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas VF-1 1994 Retrofit to Centroid Allin1DC

Red face Haas VF-1 1994 Retrofit to Centroid Allin1DC

Hi Everyone,

I am in process in Retrofit our HAAS VF-1 1994 model,

Bought this machine last year and the controls worked fine, so we restored any mechanically issues and gave it a clean, greased, way cover rubber seals, rebuilt lube pump, rebuild ATC (Umbrella style) new door seals and poly-glass.
    machined few parts and started to have issue with servo drive, and too much hassle sending small file via RS232 cable, so I decided to upgrade it to Centroid Allin1dc.

I will upload my progress on here. it may help someone else out there who is deciding to retrofit there HAAS.

If anyone out there with any experience or input would be appreciated.

Started today and removed old electronic (resell to fund this project) and labelled as many wires as possible. forgot to take images but will upload tomorrow.

I have attached some images of previous work done, also designed new front control display. should have it back from laser cutting next week. plan is to build the front controls with touch screen, keyboard, handwheel, and pc inside all in one unit.

Manni

Re: Haas VF-1 1994 Retrofit to Centroid Allin1DC

Hi,

here are the images from yesterday progress. today not much work been done.

Why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

unfortunately the Servo drive issue lead to more issue with few other components and replacement parts from HAAS where working out too much also its a side project/hobby.

Got the front control display back from laser cutting and did a test fit of monitor and keyboard before sending it off to powder coating.
    will have more update on progress by this weekend.

Hi,

My this week progress. didn't get much time on this, finally at the stage of power up. Still have few more checks.
    will take more image of last 2 days work over the weekend.

The estop turned out too small so I have swapped it to the normal size.
    Tried my best to keep wiring tidy as best as I can.

Thanks

Manni

My interest is peeked! I upgraded a YMC to DC-AIO by centroid. We love it... for a knee mill. I do enjoy Centroid.. I'll admit that- Also have a 98 Haas we rebuilt but left the controls alone. How are you going to handle the tool changer ? that's the tough part I think. I called them upon a time and was told I'd need to get into a PLC between the AIO board and a changer write custom code (more or less) Never pursued it. How are you going to run that ? Would love to know. And the spindle motor w/ the custom Haas vfd... can you just push a VFD up to that . Always wondered. Keep the posts going!
    Peace, CG

Hi CG,

Thank you for your interest. Yes you are right the tool changer was my 1st taught on this project and there is not much clear information/help online for a retrofit. I did wanted to avoid the retrofit as at the beginning the Haas controls worked fine. also I do not run any jobs, it was a long time hobby and having a machine to repair any damage tooling we have from our workshop.
    Haas was a good fit mechanically and after the controls died and did not wanted to spend any more on it as still would have end up with same old controls which where perfect for back in 90s.

I have a last whole week update coming soon next few days, so far I have all axis tuned and moving, spindle motor connected. started to wire the rest of sensors. left the tool changer till the end, it going to be fun as everyday learning something new.

Looking forward to it. I was also considering a tool changer on the YMC. a 3 or 4 banger... and maybe using an Arduino and custom code/PIA (peripheral interface adapter) lines etc. some ALU and 3d printing.... Man I wish I were retired or had more time.
    PM me if you want to swap emails and maybe chat about some Tool Changer thoughts. Old EET skills from back in the day of this tech. That I at time for at-least.
    Peace!
    CG

Quote Originally Posted by Munzi-cnc View Post
    Hi CG,

Thank you for your interest. Yes you are right the tool changer was my 1st taught on this project and there is not much clear information/help online for a retrofit. I did wanted to avoid the retrofit as at the beginning the Haas controls worked fine. also I do not run any jobs, it was a long time hobby and having a machine to repair any damage tooling we have from our workshop.
    Haas was a good fit mechanically and after the controls died and did not wanted to spend any more on it as still would have end up with same old controls which where perfect for back in 90s.

I have a last whole week update coming soon next few days, so far I have all axis tuned and moving, spindle motor connected. started to wire the rest of sensors. left the tool changer till the end, it going to be fun as everyday learning something new.

Quick Update,
    Will upload a better video soon.

Couldn't wait to cut some chips, 1st video without fine DRO adjustments 2nd video after tuning the motors and shows high range to low range gear change before performing ATC orientation.

last few weeks I have learnt a lot, how to edit PLC programme and making macro files.
    I had to create macro and logic for Gear change, Red/green beacon light, cycle start/ feed hold external buttons. Aux button for chip conveyor and Orient solenoid control macro.

will be busy next few weeks with other jobs but would like to fine tune the plc logic or macro's for a quicker gear change and speed up the tool change process.

1st video link:
    https://youtu.be/GbM8ANWJ0is

2nd video :
    https://youtu.be/E4Eg01uf7QQ

Manni