585,969 active members*
4,380 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

haas vf3 problems

we have a 118 fault, which states spindle is not shifting from high to low.pulled front and side covers looking for shift solenoid. also , we have no x zero in mdi we have no x , y, z or tool change movements. thanks for any help

Quote Originally Posted by dartplayer1 View Post
    we have a 118 fault, which states spindle is not shifting from high to low.pulled front and side covers looking for shift solenoid. also , we have no x zero in mdi we have no x , y, z or tool change movements. thanks for any help
    First thing to check is the air pressure. When you do a "power-up restart" does the spindle turn back and forth looking for the gear change?

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

yes it turns back and fourth and alarms out. do you think that is why we cant get a x zero?

Quote Originally Posted by dartplayer1 View Post
    yes it turns back and fourth and alarms out. do you think that is why we cant get a x zero?
    You did not mention the air pressure. Do you hear air coming out around the spindle when it is trying to home?

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

also you could have one or more limit swithes stuck closed on xyz axis? also about your air pressure. not sure if it matters, but what about your hydrogen pressure for your counter balance?

This is it. zero out all axis one at a time using the "zero return" single axis button. then you will have a zeroed out machine. Then, run the spindle for a while. this will warm up the moving parts so that maybe it will change gears. If you use "auto power up button" it will try to put it in high or low gear, forgot which one. And if that fails it will alarm and stop trying to home.

Also, you can try pushing the "auto power up button" then unplug the air hose really fast then back in again over and over. But, you have to unplug it right at the machine connection. This will unload and load the air solenoid maybe un-sticking it.

You are missing the original problem, alarm 118, machine not shifting into low gear during power-up. Without this, the machine will not home normally.

Again, is this a new machine to you? Do you have the air hooked up to the machine, minimum 80 psi? The gear change is made by air pressure!

If you have the proper amount of air going to the spindle, you should hear the air escaping around the spindle while it is attempting to find low gear during the power-up. The spindle will cycle CW and CCW until the change is made from one gear to another and then back again. If the gearbox is in high it will switch from high to low and then back to high. If it is in low gear it will switch from low to high and then back to low.

Once the gear change has been accomplished successfully, it will home the three or more axis's available.

If you have the air properly supplied to the machine and the air is getting to the spindle, then check circuit breaker CB4.

But, whatever you do, don't leave us hanging here, let us know the progress.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    You are missing the original problem, alarm 118, machine not shifting into low gear during power-up. Without this, the machine will not home normally.
    >>>>Starting up the machine with "zero single axis" button bypasses the need to have the spindle shift any gears and will home normally. :stickpoke

His machine obviously need maintenance but this will work to get the machine home in x y and z. Then he can run the spindle to warm it up and make it change gears.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfpower View Post
    >>>>Starting up the machine with "zero single axis" button bypasses the need to have the spindle shift any gears and will home normally. :stickpoke

His machine obviously need maintenance but this will work to get the machine home in x y and z. Then he can run the spindle to warm it up and make it change gears.
    So, you think it just got so cold there that it, FROZE?

Well pardon me for using logic to try to help him out. Oh, and pardon me for shouting back!

[QUOTE=

Well pardon me for using logic to try to help him out. Oh, and pardon me for shouting back![/QUOTE]

Not shouting at you, hoping the guy reads this because you were probably unaware of the second way to home a Haas machine. "Power up restart" is the easy way. "zero return" takes a few seconds longer but also works and gets him past the 118 alarm. Yes, it usually is because of cold weather that this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfpower View Post
    Not shouting at you, hoping the guy reads this because you were probably unaware of the second way to home a Haas machine. "Power up restart" is the easy way. "zero return" takes a few seconds longer but also works and gets him past the 118 alarm. Yes, it usually is because of cold weather that this happens.
    Well, after all of these years owning Haas mills, I have owned at least one since 1991 and work on my own machines, I'm glad you can educate this dumb ass on how they operate. Why did I not find you sooner. :devious:

I've had this problem on one of my machines. It was a precursor to needing a new gear box but I was able to get by for a couple years before it came to that. A few things I did to get the gearbox "unstuck"...

Home the machine to get the thing operable. (type X and press "home-single-axis" to home X axis...do the same for Y and Z) If it's stuck in low gear turn the spindle on in MDI at 1500 rpms and let it run a while to warm it up. If its stuck in high run it at 2500. Sometimes that's all that's needed. (in my case at least)

Crank up the the PSI to 110-120.

Spray some WD40 in the air-line. (plastic inlet tube)

This usually happened to me on Mondays or after several days of not being used.

good luck

Guys I am sorry for not getting back to you all.

We did not drill it out because it was already oversize, we put another trap in the line and that got us going, but now it is back to the same thing.

Any help would be great.

I do not hear air coming out around the spindle when it is trying to home.