584,833 active members*
5,491 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > Help attaching Lathe Chuck to my Mill Spindle (TAIG)

Help attaching Lathe Chuck to my Mill Spindle (TAIG)

I'm new to machining and just saved enough for the TAIG 5019 CNC Micro Mill (With Ballscrews).

The parts I am buying the machine to make need some turning and some milling so I am going to attempt to mill turn with my TAIG mill.

I haven't seen much online about this but am I able to attach a lathe chuck directly to my Mill Spindle? The parts I need to turn are 80MM in diameter/ Hard wood. Also some smaller pieces of SS.

Here is the chuck I found that seems like this might work with.

https://www.sherline.com/product/3-1...t-chuck-er-16/

Will this work or do I need some kind of adapter?

Thank you guys so much for any and all help.

Myles

Re: Help attaching Lathe Chuck to my Mill Spindle (TAIG)

The lathe chucks aren't compatible with the new ER spindles used on the mills. The threads are different, and an adapter would have to be custom-made; it's not a standard part. If you really want to do this, you'd be better off getting one of the old-style headstocks, with the 3/4" - 16 thread, which are still used for the lathes https://taigtools.com/product/100-00...3-4-16-thread/. But these don't take ER collets, which are superior to the old-style proprietary collets that fit the lathe headstock.

Also, a mill is not the same as a lathe. The geometry of the operations is different; so even if you got a tool post mounted to the bed of the mill, you'd have a very limited reachable area of the workpiece that could be turned in a vertical orientation before it would be pushed into the bed. Taig makes lathes as well as mills, and if you're already getting a chuck (which Taig makes) and a headstock, you're most of the way towards one: https://taigtools.com/product/micro-lathe-ii-k1019-kit/ Turning your parts on that would work much better than trying to get the mill to function as a lathe.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Taig doe make Chucks that ARE compatible with the ER Spindle....
    3 Jaw 1050ER
    4 Jaw1030ER

These will screw on in place of the ER closing Nut...

Good Luck

Wow, i've been looking all over and it was right in front of me all along. Thanks for your response sclelectronics!!!

Taig updated their line of lathes with optional ER spindle and accessories. You can go either way now... and the ER version is exactly the same spindle used on the mills for the past decade or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantastic View Post
    I'm new to machining and just saved enough for the TAIG 5019 CNC Micro Mill (With Ballscrews).
    ...The parts I need to turn are 80MM in diameter/ Hard wood. Also some smaller pieces of SS...
    Myles - You may want to get the wood turner's face plate for your wood fixturing needs. You can wood screw a block to it from the back side and attach to your mill spindle. A word of caution on spinning a chuck at mill speeds... the spindle can be driven at up to 10k RPM but I wouldn't do that with a chuck installed.. you can certainly do whatever speed with collets and round stock though. -Keith

Thanks for all the suggestions desktoplathes, and sclelectronics. Just made my purchase. Went with the 4 jaw since i'll need to do operation on both sides of each part and also got the wood face plate in case it works better for me. Yes I read somewhere that you shouldn't exceed 3000 rpm with a lath chuck.

Myles

Quote Originally Posted by Fantastic View Post

The parts I am buying the machine to make need some turning and some milling so I am going to attempt to mill turn with my TAIG mill.

I haven't seen much online about this but am I able to attach a lathe chuck directly to my Mill Spindle? The parts I need to turn are 80MM in diameter/ Hard wood. Also some smaller pieces of SS.

Here is the chuck I found that seems like this might work with.

https://www.sherline.com/product/3-1...t-chuck-er-16/

Will this work or do I need some kind of adapter?

Thank you guys so much for any and all help.

Myles
    How big are the parts to be turned, you could use your collets to hold the work. an 80mm chuck mounted on a wimpy spindle like this would not be very good.
    Mactec54

3" OD 6061. Part is less than .75" tall. Is this impossible to mill turn with this setup? If so, I might be able to design it in hard wood. Other part is 2" OD by same length. Thanks for the help.

Myles

Why not just mill it? With the ball screw version of the Taig, your rounds should be true within a thousandth or so.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I could try but the profile is round with under cuts.