584,830 active members*
5,464 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help Bench Testing Stepper Motors

Hi guys,

I am in the process of trying to bench test my stepper motors without much success. I was hoping someone may be able to give me some pointers as to what I have over looked. Here is a run down of the setup:

Leadshine MX4660 - (LINK)
    Shunt Regulator
    Ethernet Smooth Stepper - (LINK)
    Automation Technologies Nema 23, 570oz stepper motors for both x and y axis - (LINK)
    Automation Technologies Nema 34, 906oz stepper for z axis - (LINK)
    56V Linear Power Supply - (LINK)

I have everything wired up, and I went through the configuration setting for the ESS and it seems to be working well. I have installed the the ESS plugin for mach 3 and configured mach as follows:

I am not confident in the motor setup above, but this is how the instructions were with the ESS, so I went with it. When I turn everything on and load mach, there seems to be power to the stepper as I cannot turn it by hand. If I use the arrow keys to job an axis, the stepper doesn't seem to move. Im assuming I have either missed something in the configuration of mach, or something isn't correct in what I have done already.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    -Ryan

Re: Help Bench Testing Stepper Motors

Well, I've been playing with this for a few hours tonight, again without any success. I found a few issues that I have corrected, but something still isn't correct. Here is what I've changed and setup:

-DirLowActive as well as StepLow Active were both initially correct. The MX4660 needs to be HIGH active for both of these, so I unchecked these boxes in Mach.

-My ballscrews have a 5mm pitch, and I have my dip switches in the MX setup as 1/16 microstepping. That puts me at a 640 steps per mm, which is now setup in mach. I also setup the velocity to 2540 mm/m, which is approx 100 IPM.

-I confirmed the MX was setup not needing the charge pump signal, and the light indicating the MX is active is on which confirms this.

-MX has a jumper wire for the e-stop, and mach seems to be responding to job commands.

-I also went through the smooth stepper setup again, the 26 pin ribbon connector is on Port 1, and mach is confirmed to be setup there as well.

At this point, it seems to me like its a communication issue between the smooth stepper and the MX4660, any other suggestions for settings to check in mach or the MX would be greatly appreciated.