584,830 active members*
5,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Help!!! What voltage is the consew 3/4 brushless motor
Page 1 of 2 12

Help!!! What voltage is the consew 3/4 brushless motor

I am trying to figure out what voltage the motor is in order to buy a controller for it. Does anyone know how I can test it while it is running? The model is consew csm 1000. Any help greatly appreciated

Re: Help!!! What voltage is the consew 3/4 brushless motor

The CSM1000 is a 1/2hp motor at 500w. The CSM3000 is the 3/4hp at 750w. I can measure the 750w unit but I don't have any of the CSM1000 units anymore. I suspect you could determine the voltage since you know the wattage and could measure the resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by hackish View Post
    The CSM1000 is a 1/2hp motor at 500w. The CSM3000 is the 3/4hp at 750w. I can measure the 750w unit but I don't have any of the CSM1000 units anymore. I suspect you could determine the voltage since you know the wattage and could measure the resistance.
    Well the problem is that the motor is DC but the input of the power supply is ac, I have a hunch it might be a 48v but I am not sure how I can measure it.

if its a 3 phase induction motor then all you need to do is measure the amp draw at full load and find a vfd of equal or larger capacity.

you then program the vfd for the volts/hz the motor needs.

if these are permanent magnet motor the same issue applies but you need to find a vfd that can drive a permanent magnet motor. you've got a lot of choices.. to include electric E bike controllers at the low end of the spectrum.

I've never pulled one apart, but I can say with certainty it's not a brushed DC motor. I looked at the motor controller a few years ago, but I don't remember exactly how it was setup. My 750w CSM3000 will do about 4200 RPM in case you were thinking of using it to drive a spindle. Some years ago, I also got a nice shock touching a motor wire, so I'm thinking it's probably a touch more than 48v.

AFAIK it is a BLDC motor but have no details on the controller, whether it has hall effect commutation etc.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by crl1_1 View Post
    I am trying to figure out what voltage the motor is in order to buy a controller for it. Does anyone know how I can test it while it is running? The model is consew csm 1000. Any help greatly appreciated
    Here is a PDF and a web page where you may be able to call

http://www.consew.com/files/112347/I...ls/CSM1000.pdf

Consew Model CSM1000
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    AFAIK it is a BLDC motor but have no details on the controller, whether it has hall effect commutation etc.
    Al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldon_Joh View Post
    if its a 3 phase induction motor then all you need to do is measure the amp draw at full load and find a vfd of equal or larger capacity.

you then program the vfd for the volts/hz the motor needs.

if these are permanent magnet motor the same issue applies but you need to find a vfd that can drive a permanent magnet motor. you've got a lot of choices.. to include electric E bike controllers at the low end of the spectrum.
    I wanted to buy a vfd but i could not find a 110v that was suitable. I found this and the motor definetly has the hall sensors 5 wires and 3 main power wires. I will use a potentiometer to control the speed seems more simple to me than using a vfd. I just wish i knew the voltage I have looked around alibaba and for similar size motors they appear to be around 48v

I've never pulled one apart, but I can say with certainty it's not a brushed DC motor. I looked at the motor controller a few years ago, but I don't remember exactly how it was setup. My 750w CSM3000 will do about 4200 RPM in case you were thinking of using it to drive a spindle. Some years ago, I also got a nice shock touching a motor wire, so I'm thinking it's probably a touch more than 48v.
    I got the same shock, Its odly grounded what i hate about the controller unit is the fact that it you have to always set the potentiometer to 0 in order to start the motor

One of the A-M-C servo drives will drive it, using a simple 5k pot for speed control.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Will it be possible to mount a potentiometer directly to the foot pedal input on the controller and use that for speed control?

Quote Originally Posted by jaru-eri View Post
    Will it be possible to mount a potentiometer directly to the foot pedal input on the controller and use that for speed control?
    Yes I have done this but one of the problems is having to start the potentiometer at 0 and the current controller has this weird fluctuations of power

Yes I have done this but one of the problems is having to start the potentiometer at 0 and the current controller has this weird fluctuations of power
    Do you mean that the power that was delivered from controller to the motor was decreased or unstable? There are three wires from the foot pedal, green, red and black. Did you use all off them or only two? If you used all, which did you mount to the mid pin on the pot?

Do you mean that the power that was delivered from controller to the motor was decreased or unstable? There are three wires from the foot pedal, green, red and black. Did you use all off them or only two? If you used all, which did you mount to the mid pin on the pot?
    All of the wires were used , what I am saying is that the motor fluctuates rpms not significantly but enough to bother me

All of the wires were used , what I am saying is that the motor fluctuates rpms not significantly but enough to bother me
    Ok!
    I understand, but did you connected the black wire to the center pin on the potentiometer or one of the others?

Ok!
    I understand, but did you connected the black wire to the center pin on the potentiometer or one of the others?
    Here is the video hope this helps

https://youtu.be/xzs_Ft3t5S4

Ah, I understand what you're talking about now. I've seen it before with cheap motor drivers. On a sewing machine it isn't really noticeable because at high speed there is a minimum constant load. I think in your situation it has to do with the fact the spindle doesn't really put a load on the motor so it has trouble stabilizing at a given RPM. If the actual speed control is PID based, then it's going to be in those settings... not that you can change them. You may be able to look into controlling it with something like a VESC controller where the parameters can be changed.

Here is the video hope this helps
    Thankyou for the video, but I need to know which colour from the foot pedal wires you connected to the middle of the three pins on your potentiometer. On the video, I can only see a green clip from a test lead. As you can see on my attached picture, I have one black, one green and one red wire which connect the foot pedal to the control box. Did you connect the black wire to the green test clip, or one of the others?
    Attachment 403324

Thankyou for the video, but I need to know which colour from the foot pedal wires you connected to the middle of the three pins on your potentiometer. On the video, I can only see a green clip from a test lead. As you can see on my attached picture, I have one black, one green and one red wire which connect the foot pedal to the control box. Did you connect the black wire to the green test clip, or one of the others?
    Attachment 403324
    black=left potentiometer pin
    green=middle
    red=right

Ah, I understand what you're talking about now. I've seen it before with cheap motor drivers. On a sewing machine it isn't really noticeable because at high speed there is a minimum constant load. I think in your situation it has to do with the fact the spindle doesn't really put a load on the motor so it has trouble stabilizing at a given RPM. If the actual speed control is PID based, then it's going to be in those settings... not that you can change them. You may be able to look into controlling it with something like a VESC controller where the parameters can be changed.
    So i bought this controller in advance might be cheap but now I wish i could figure out the actual voltage of the dam motor

Page 1 of 2 12