585,741 active members*
4,928 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Hissing retract air bleed on power drawbar

Hissing retract air bleed on power drawbar

I have a fairly new (one month) power drawbar on my 1100 and the brass air bleed for the retract clamp hisses air constantly. Not much, but enough that my air compressor runs more often than need be.

Any idea what I need to do, other than the air hissing seems to work just great. Not sure how I lived w/o it all these years.

Re: Hissing retract air bleed on power drawbar

Quote Originally Posted by KSky View Post
    I have a fairly new (one month) power drawbar on my 1100 and the brass air bleed for the retract clamp hisses air constantly. Not much, but enough that my air compressor runs more often than need be.

Any idea what I need to do, other than the air hissing seems to work just great. Not sure how I lived w/o it all these years.
    Mine does the same thing, seems like the longer the air is turned on it will almost quit leaking.
    NYCCNC took his apart and it was full of debris, I have been going to clean mine, just havent gotten to it yet, its only been a few years now ha.
    mike sr

Mine does that sometimes too. There are two adjustment fittings on the manifold that determine the release and set rate. Maybe reduce the delay would help to seat the seal or maybe a drop of pneumatic oil applied to the manifold inlet would help. The pneumatic oiler is not much help, due to the short cycles bursts, distance and uphill flow. On a new system, the oil may not have arrived yet.

Mine hissed on closing for a while, but a shot of silicone lubricant in each cylinder fixed that. No hiss now in over 2 years.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Mine does too.

Last year I took it apart and re-seated the o-rings, cleaned and taped the threads, etc. Stopped for about a year, but it's back again.

I'll try oiling the cylinders as a quick fix. Actually, I haven't checked the air oiler in ...er.. ever. Maybe it just needs a refill.. ;-)
    --Bryan

I took it apart, cleaned it up and re-oiled it although it still had the original white lube on them as it's only a month old.

Still hisses. I tried to pull one of the O rings off and it looks like they are some sort of non-standard ones. I use this every day so I don't want to break it. Are they really normal O rings I might have in my assortment? They look more like seals that are oblong or rectangular even.

I finally did what I should have done and contacted Tormach and they are sending me a new one. I am so used to vendors not being responsive that it's always a shock when something like this happens. Remembering back to why I bought a Tormach in the first place, I heard they stand by their products. I never needed support until now (4+ years) and my first issue and they are right there. :wave:

I am a happy camper.