585,883 active members*
4,949 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > How do you know if autotune on a VFD is successful?

How do you know if autotune on a VFD is successful?

I finished installing my spindle today. It all seems to work ok. I'd just like to know if there is something I should check to make sure the auto tune thing worked? I'm using a Huanyang GT VFD. When input the autotune command, the spindle starts to spin while the VFD displays "run 1". Then, after a few minutes, the spindle stops spinning and it appears to have finished whatever it was doing. Is that it? I.e. Is there meant to be a message saying "autotune complete" or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
    I finished installing my spindle today. It all seems to work ok. I'd just like to know if there is something I should check to make sure the auto tune thing worked? I'm using a Huanyang GT VFD. When input the autotune command, the spindle starts to spin while the VFD displays "run 1". Then, after a few minutes, the spindle stops spinning and it appears to have finished whatever it was doing. Is that it? I.e. Is there meant to be a message saying "autotune complete" or something like that?
    VFDs are different in how they are programmed by factory. One thing is certain if you followed all directions to perform an autotune, and the program ended make a list of all parameters that may change from what you believe you set them before and compare numbers.

Re: How do you know if autotune on a VFD is successful?

Some display complete or something like that, or will send an alarm fault, if not able to complete, Check the Autotune Parameter as it should return to the default once it has completed it's reprograming, it only changes the parameters related to what you have set, mainly from what you entered for the motor spec's, that is why entering these Parameters correctly is important
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Some display complete or something like that, or will send an alarm fault, if not able to complete, Check the Autotune Parameter as it should return to the default once it has completed it's reprograming, it only changes the parameters related to what you have set, mainly from what you entered for the motor spec's, that is why entering these Parameters correctly is important
    It did return to default when it was done. There was no alarm or error message. It just didn't say "complete" (at least not that I saw).

The motor parameters were all input correctly, I double checked everything before the autotune, so I guess it's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by co2co008 View Post
    VFDs are different in how they are programmed by factory. One thing is certain if you followed all directions to perform an autotune, and the program ended make a list of all parameters that may change from what you believe you set them before and compare numbers.
    The autotune on this VFD changes the parameters that you don't set based on the ones that you do. It isn't meant to change any of the parameters I set myself. If I would have thought about it ahead of time, I could have looked at some of those autotune parameters to see if the process changed them. I would have no way of knowing if the new parameters were correct but I could have at least confirmed there was a change.

I am tempted to run the autotune command again to make sure it worked but I'm not sure I have the patience to do a factory reset and go through it all again...

Do you see any difference after the auto-tune?
    On the Mitsubishi I used to use and use the auto tune on, It got me in the ball park and a tweeked a couple of par afterwards.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

It did return to default when it was done. There was no alarm or error message. It just didn't say "complete" (at least not that I saw).

The motor parameters were all input correctly, I double checked everything before the autotune, so I guess it's ok.
    Then all is good, there will be some parameters to change once you need to control the on/off RPM Etc for your machine control
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Do you see any difference after the auto-tune?
    On the Mitsubishi I used to use and use the auto tune on, It got me in the ball park and a tweeked a couple of par afterwards.
    Al.
    I wouldn't know because I didn't try and use it before the autotune. Autotune was part of the install process on these HY GT models.

I wouldn't know how or what to tweak from the autotune settings. I'm not sure what some of them mean. I figured I would only need to revisit the settings if I encounter a performance issue.