550,300 active members*
3,707 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: i j k errors

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    8

    i j k errors

    hello all been a while
    did a search but found nothing helpful.
    had a couple quite knowledgeable people (i thought) try to help
    but still get same error ... invalid i or j @ line n5030
    tia
    stace
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    1714

    Re: i j k errors

    N5020 G91 .....
    N5030 G3 X-0.36 I-.36 J0.

    With G91 active (N5020) the end point and the center point of your circle are identical (X == I). That will not work.

  3. #3

    Re: i j k errors

    If your using G91, then prior to line N5030 the tool needs to be positioned on the arc. Line N5030 would be G3 X0 Y0 I-.36 J0. Realize that I is saying the arc center is -.36 from the X cutting position.

    Example:
    G90 G1 X.36 Y0
    G91 G3 X0 Y0 I-.36 J0

    or

    If center is not X0 Y0
    G90 X-- Y--
    G91 X.36
    G3 X0 Y0 I-.36
    G1 X-.36

    If this helps, super. If not, just give a holler back.

    I, J, & K are always incremental values. When used in arcs or circles, they represent the incremental value of the arc start to the arc center. Most arc errors are because these values are not correct in relation to the arc start.

  4. #4
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    8

    Re: i j k errors

    Quote Originally Posted by BobHarper View Post
    If your using G91, then prior to line N5030 the tool needs to be positioned on the arc. Line N5030 would be G3 X0 Y0 I-.36 J0. Realize that I is saying the arc center is -.36 from the X cutting position.

    Example:
    G90 G1 X.36 Y0
    G91 G3 X0 Y0 I-.36 J0

    or

    If center is not X0 Y0
    G90 X-- Y--
    G91 X.36
    G3 X0 Y0 I-.36
    G1 X-.36

    If this helps, super. If not, just give a holler back.

    I, J, & K are always incremental values. When used in arcs or circles, they represent the incremental value of the arc start to the arc center. Most arc errors are because these values are not correct in relation to the arc start.
    thank for the quick reply i found an end mill close enough to get me out of a jam for this set... another set coming right up

  5. #5
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3373

    Re: i j k errors

    If you have Preditor Editor piece of cake.
    Run your machine until it errors out (note line number)
    Run Preditor and stop at line number that machine error out
    Note,as best as can,where it all took place,geometrically
    go back to CAD and you can try a variety of fixes at that particular point.
    Ex.,,erase doubles.re-organize,and a good one that happens a lot on sharp corners that are less than 90 is do a fillet.Fillet not need to be big,,but something,,say .003,,,
    good luck

  6. #6
    Ghost
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4515

    Re: i j k errors

    Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    If you have Preditor Editor piece of cake.
    Run your machine until it errors out (note line number)
    Run Preditor and stop at line number that machine error out
    Note,as best as can,where it all took place,geometrically
    go back to CAD and you can try a variety of fixes at that particular point.
    Ex.,,erase doubles.re-organize,and a good one that happens a lot on sharp corners that are less than 90 is do a fillet.Fillet not need to be big,,but something,,say .003,,,
    good luck
    Hard to remember.

    I think "Make Arcs Tangential" was the geometry fix for these. But I like the duplicates thought too. I think 2 arcs in the same place causes some issues.

    But it could be a post processor setup issue too. look for 221 to 228 in the post processor.

  7. #7
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    8

    Re: i j k errors

    I THINK I tried what u said see attachment
    Attached Files Attached Files

  8. #8
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    8

    Re: i j k errors

    Quote Originally Posted by CNCFr View Post
    N5020 G91 .....
    N5030 G3 X-0.36 I-.36 J0.

    With G91 active (N5020) the end point and the center point of your circle are identical (X == I). That will not work.
    can u tell me what will?

  9. #9
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    8

    Re: i j k errors

    Quote Originally Posted by BobHarper View Post
    If your using G91, then prior to line N5030 the tool needs to be positioned on the arc. Line N5030 would be G3 X0 Y0 I-.36 J0. Realize that I is saying the arc center is -.36 from the X cutting position.

    Example:
    G90 G1 X.36 Y0
    G91 G3 X0 Y0 I-.36 J0

    or

    If center is not X0 Y0
    G90 X-- Y--
    G91 X.36
    G3 X0 Y0 I-.36
    G1 X-.36

    If this helps, super. If not, just give a holler back.

    I, J, & K are always incremental values. When used in arcs or circles, they represent the incremental value of the arc start to the arc center. Most arc errors are because these values are not correct in relation to the arc start.

    think i did what u suggested .. see attachment

Similar Threads

  1. errors
    By jimmy123 in forum Okuma
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-10-2015, 04:40 PM
  2. Following errors
    By scrambled in forum Granite Devices
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-20-2011, 02:37 PM
  3. Errors #1,#16,#17
    By masterfabr in forum Fadal
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-14-2010, 03:55 AM
  4. Getting 2 Errors.... Someone Please!!
    By DesKitchens in forum Commercial CNC Wood Routers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2009, 02:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •