585,555 active members*
3,044 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question I know nothing.

I have recently been tasked with trying to get our laser working; I have never used a laser or CNC before.

I was able to find a rough tutorial on how to get it to start and was able to somewhat stumble through using the LaserGRBL software to make the laser engrave something. I have since started running into issues and need them sorted out before we try to engrave 250 pieces for an upcoming project.

Laser Model: Two Trees TS3 Laser

Issue 1: Whenever I try to tell the machine to 'go home' it flies off to the left and makes an awful clicking noise as it hits the side of the machine. I have tried to find how to 'set a new home position' but it always flies off when told to go home.

I can get around this by physically moving the laser when it is off into the starting position i want and then unchecking the 'go home' command in the LaserGRBL software; though this seems very wrong and i feel there is a better solution to this.

Issue 2: It burns, everything. I have found an arbitrary setting 'max power' and can set that value lower, but the laser seems to either burn something, or not engrave at all (it can't seem to engrave gray colours). Though this value is not consistent, sometimes it will burn something on 5% power, and other times the design will fail to be visible on 70% power.

issue 3: If I manage to find a vector design that will not burn yet will show up (usually thick text) it will still burn the edges where the laser 'changes direction' to go do the next line.

Issue 4: It seems to just stop after 2 - 10 seconds and has to be told to 'resume from the last line completed' and then it will finish the job. This is obviously not that huge of an issue, as i just have to tell it to continue, but it doesn't seem like it should be doing that.

I have tried to comb the internet for solutions to these issues, but can't seem to find any useful information. everything I am finding is either so crazy simple ' here is how to install your software to your windows machine' and then jumps to something crazy complex and advanced 'resolder this specific capacitor on logic board model xyz to make it move to the right 2% faster'. I know enough to install the software and to have tried the 'turn it off and back on again, reinstall the software' troubleshooting, but i know nothing at all past getting the image into LaserGRBL and sending it to the laser to engrave. If someone could let me know if I am doing something super wrong, or if my machine may be broken (it is literally brand new, did about 15 test cuts on it so far) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Re: I know nothing.

Apparently the boss has elected you as the new laser expert. Take pride in the fact that he believes in you enough to do that.

There is no simple answer. You need to become totally familiar with all the instructions, quirks and settings of the machine. This will take time, which conflicts with the need to get the immediate job out the door. There are no shortcuts to competence.

It may seem like you're under pressure right now, but once it's all ironed out life will become more bearable again. Trust me, I've been there.

Apparently the boss has elected you as the new laser expert.
    Pay rise . . .
    And a LONG learning curve.

Cheers

as always, the chosen one is being tasked to handle the mistery machine
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

I appreciate that; I know he has confidence in me, but it doesn't feel good that I keep running up against the same wall of 'not knowing the basics'.

Are there any resources, aside from a 4 year college course, that you can recommend? As I said in the post, everything I've found thus far seems to jump from super simple to super complex in an instant.

Thank you

Best recommendation: find someone knowledgeable not too far away and hire him for a day or two. The boss can pay.
    That way will, in the long run, be much cheaper.

Cheers
    Roger

hy ingaged, just like rcaffin said

it is literally brand new, did about 15 test cuts on it so far
    if machine is new, or close to being new, then contact the vendor and ask for instructions : they may have electronic manuals, or someone skilled that you can get in touch with; if the vendor is only an intermediary, then hope that he has conections, otherwise is up to you to find the cnc producer, and from their site you may find something/someone ?/or local dealership, that you may contact, even if not in your area

besides produces/vendor, try to web search your cnc model + forum, maybe there is a dedicated discusion somewhere, and hopefully you'll be receving answeres also,on youtube, search your cnc model, then try to contact the person behind it

looooook, just found this : https://www.youtube.com/c/Twotrees3Dofficial/featured

at the end, when you will be a guru, make a little/pocket manual with how2use, and/or some videos for more complex tasks, so to avoid future similar situations
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

I clicked on the link for the TS3 site and see a slick video of a machine that seems no more complicated then push the button and go. The question you will have to answer: is it you or did your boss buy a useless machine? I’d go back to stock settings and if nothing works then contact the company and have them help you. Short of becoming a GRBL expert, which is ok for a hobby but not a business, it should work or it’s not for use in a business.

By the way check the Lightburn forum which is good for diode based machines (todays K40).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smile Re: I know nothing.

I very much appreciate everyone's suggestions!

We had reached out the manufacturer several times and got no more than 'try restarting the software'. Until today, when we received a video file showing my exact problem and a super easy fix for it, uploaded here: https://youtu.be/fLsUHBJLz_E

Apparently there was a limit sensor that gets bent in shipping a lot, and so they showed how to go in and bend it back; BOOM! the laser's home function now works flawlessly. I still have some quality issues, but I am going to take the suggestion to move away from LaserGRBL and try out Lightburn (though i will have to figure out how to get around the trial restrictions).

I just wanted to update this thread in case anyone else is as clueless as me on how to get this machine to home.

CNC drilling is a widely used machining process that involves a rotating drill bit to produce round holes in a stationary workpiece. Usually, the holes are drilled to accommodate machine screws or bolts of accompanying size in industries, where precision and productivity are top priorities.

Advantages of CNC drilling :

Higher precision
    High Production and Scalability
    Broader versatility
    Greater reproducibility
    Lower Costs

ColibrisODM

Compared to the traditional method, CNC machining provides a number of economical and production advantages for your custom made metal parts. For example, manual lathing is a very hands-on process where a skilled technician is needed in order to make modifications for every machine, while with CNC machining, one technician can operate several machines.

What is more, there are no fixed costs universally applied to every single project and CNC cut. There are several aspects of CNC pricing you need to think about such as the equipment that is being used and the type of CNC machine.

You also need to think about:

Machine set-up time
    Machining time
    Material
    Design and shape
    Batch size
    Labor costs
    Metal finishing process

ColibrisODM

When it comes to CNC machining, whether you're planning to order a single unit or a batch of thousands, the primary focus is to reduce the manufacturing costs. Luckily, engineers and designers have a direct impact on components’ production costs – there should be taken into account all the necessary rules of thumb and technical principles.

Production time: The more it takes for the machine to produce the part, the higher costs it will lead to.
    Initial set-up costs: It requires time to set up a machine for the production, therefore the batch size could be increased to a cost-effective quantity.
    Raw material costs: The cost of the raw material and the level of complexity to produce a component should be taken into account.

How can CNC machining costs be reduced?

Avoid leaving sharp corners in your designs for CNC cut.
    Inner pockets should be kept to a minimum possible depth.
    Increase the thickness of the walls.
    Avoid engravings (in particular in prototypes).
    Thread depth should be limited.
    There are two rules of thumb to be considered: (1) the minimum depth of the tap hole should be half the diameter of the screw, (2) the maximum depth of the tapped bore should be 3 times the diameter of the screw.
    Use the standard drill bit size by avoiding tight tolerances.
    Use less expensive material

ColibrisODM