584,854 active members*
4,176 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > If I fit proximity switches on 440 do I gain any increase XYZ ?

If I fit proximity switches on 440 do I gain any increase XYZ ?

When I bought my 440 the guy at Tormach made some comment that with careful adjustment of the limit switches I could squeeze a bit more on Y movement.
    I have never pursued this but have just run a job where I was right on the limit at 155mm.
    Given that proximity switches need less physical space and are more repeatable (?) will there be a win on Y ?
    I have a plan to do this and the wiring needed.

Re: If I fit proximity switches on 440 do I gain any increase XYZ ?

I think I pushed mine to 6.5" by moving the stops . I don't think you'll gain anything by going to proximity sensors since your limited by physical machine travel . Also , the back way cover can only be squeezed so much before you have problems , throw in a few chips and theres the likelihood of the motor getting stalled . Same goes for the front except you can extend the covers out a bit . I think I've seen somewhere a mill that was pushed to 7" or so , but I wouldn't do it without swapping out the covers for something else .
    The x on the other hand is an easy mod if you ever need more there . A simple ballscrew swap has a couple of my mills at 11.75" travel , Otherwise I pushed 10.5" with the stock screws , and that was bringing the end of the screw flush with the ballnut

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    I think I pushed mine to 6.5" by moving the stops . I don't think you'll gain anything by going to proximity sensors since your limited by physical machine travel . Also , the back way cover can only be squeezed so much before you have problems , throw in a few chips and theres the likelihood of the motor getting stalled . Same goes for the front except you can extend the covers out a bit . I think I've seen somewhere a mill that was pushed to 7" or so , but I wouldn't do it without swapping out the covers for something else .
    The x on the other hand is an easy mod if you ever need more there . A simple ballscrew swap has a couple of my mills at 11.75" travel , Otherwise I pushed 10.5" with the stock screws , and that was bringing the end of the screw flush with the ballnut
    Just the sort of info I was looking for and very much appreciated.
    Y is the main frustration.
    I have fitted way covers over the bellows as I had one or two bad experiences with chips in the grooves.

Using the proximity detectors needs some rewiring to provide power to the sensors. It also needs a simple OR gate to handle X & Y into one input on the MX3660.
    So a debate on whether it is worth doing if just moving the microswitch stops gains me just as much.
    The only other aspect is the possible improvement in homing repeatability.

Rainy day job maybe.

Thanks again

personally when it comes to hobby or professional cnc's I prefer mechanic switches to proximity , they are much more reliable and less prone to problems especially when chips get involved . The improvement that I plan to do is move the y switches somewhere under my covers so that they are protected from chips .My mills are reliable on the x and z but I always have to probe my y on start up because the mills are almost always full of chips .

I have a 440 as well. I thought about it limitations and fantasied about changing a few things to make it a bit stronger, more capable, but I realized it would just be better to upgrade at some point. This machine got my foot in the door and I appreciate it, but I try to keep myself grounded and understand what it just is. Now I think about, when the time comes...what can I get for it and what can I find a used 1100 for? That keeps me from wasting money on ATC and 4 axis etc,not that they are a waste, but it's limitations will still exist.