547,566 active members*
2,729 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Chinese Machines > Inside Huanyang 2.2k Spindle GDZ-80-2.2B Water Cooled
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    13

    Inside Huanyang 2.2k Spindle GDZ-80-2.2B Water Cooled

    Hi i recently had an EOCA or Error over current on my VFD, did a whole bunch of debugging and decided it was the spindle that was dead. So I ordered a new one and took apart the old one.

    what i found was quite interesting, the coils had cooked themselves, and there was rust over the insides. i really wanted to see the water jacket design so i decided to cut it in half with an angle grinder.

    this model has 3 bearings, 2 as the collet end and one at the back. the back one isn't shown because it exploded all over the kitchen floor when i was taking it apart.

    the most likely failure point seems to be the 2 O rings that join the back cap to the spindle body, i think mine leaked from there.

    there is also no way to get inside the water channels to clean, so make sure you don't get a blockage in the water jacket.

    I was unable to separate the coils from the water jacket and i don't have a press so im unable to test further.

    anyway just figured I'd share.

    Raptor


    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181222_170144.jpg   20181223_154337.jpg   20181223_155739.jpg   20190119_221308.jpg  

    20190119_221310.jpg   20190119_221313.jpg   20190119_221319.jpg   20190119_221320.jpg  


  2. #2
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    13

    Re: Inside Huanyang 2.2k Spindle GDZ-80-2.2B Water Cooled

    Rest of the photos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190121_100227.jpg   20190121_100304.jpg   20190121_100320.jpg   20190121_100325.jpg  

    20190121_100336.jpg  

  3. #3
    Community Moderator ger21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    35473

    Re: Inside Huanyang 2.2k Spindle GDZ-80-2.2B Water Cooled

    Interesting. Thanks for posting these.
    Gerry

    UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

    Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

    JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12828

    Re: Inside Huanyang 2.2k Spindle GDZ-80-2.2B Water Cooled

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor_demon View Post
    Rest of the photos
    It got rusty from when it was smoked, it is quite corrosive when they burn up like this

    Number one you failed to have the correct Parameters set,

    Your wiring was not correct also, you have to add a Ground wire to most of these spindles. this is the first thing to always check

    This is what you have to do with most of these spindles before you Power them up

    You must run an anti-corrosion fluid just as you would for your car
    Mactec54

  5. #5
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    13

    Re: Inside Huanyang 2.2k Spindle GDZ-80-2.2B Water Cooled

    thanks, the new one has the ground wire and im running car coolant instead of just water this time.

    this was a machine that i purchased used and was working so there are a few bugs to get out. what parameters do you feel i have set wrong? i'd prefer to not fry the new one.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12828

    Re: Inside Huanyang 2.2k Spindle GDZ-80-2.2B Water Cooled

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor_demon View Post
    thanks, the new one has the ground wire and im running car coolant instead of just water this time.

    this was a machine that i purchased used and was working so there are a few bugs to get out. what parameters do you feel i have set wrong? i'd prefer to not fry the new one.
    What is the VFD Drive specs and the spindle motor spec's, I know you have a 2.2Kw spindle and the Huanyang VFD but need the full spec's to give you the correct Parameters, most of these spindles are the same spec's the differences being mostly what speed they are rated for
    Mactec54

  7. #7
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    13

    Re: Inside Huanyang 2.2k Spindle GDZ-80-2.2B Water Cooled

    i have a Huanyang VFD 110v 2.2kw HY02D211B-T

    that but 110v
    https://www.amazon.com/Variable-Freq...08466211&psc=1


    The spindle is a GDZ-80-2.2A 2.2kw 400hz 220v 24,000 rpm 2 pole spindle

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    i think ive set it up as per the manufactures recommendation, and it ran for several years before dying, but im new to this

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12828

    Re: Inside Huanyang 2.2k Spindle GDZ-80-2.2B Water Cooled

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor_demon View Post
    i have a Huanyang VFD 110v 2.2kw HY02D211B-T

    that but 110v
    https://www.amazon.com/Variable-Freq...08466211&psc=1


    The spindle is a GDZ-80-2.2A 2.2kw 400hz 220v 24,000 rpm 2 pole spindle

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    i think ive set it up as per the manufactures recommendation, and it ran for several years before dying, but im new to this
    The manufactures don't have any recommended settings, because every VFD Drive is different, some basic setting don't change though

    You need to have a big 120v supply the current draw on the 120v supply would need to be around 35Amps to 40 Amps to be able to get 2.2Kw I never recommend above a 1.5Kw spindle when using 120v supply, you did the right thing in getting the 220v spindle I will post the Parameters you need

    Your supply power is the important part to make this a success, the wiring will over heat with the current draw if it is not sized correct
    Mactec54

  9. #9
    Registered
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    506

    Re: Inside Huanyang 2.2k Spindle GDZ-80-2.2B Water Cooled

    It’s not really 2.2kw. I’ve seen mine stall at ~8 amps.

    Generally uses around 3.5a up to around 5a or so when you really load it up.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmpie View Post
    It’s not really 2.2kw. I’ve seen mine stall at ~8 amps.

    Generally uses around 3.5a up to around 5a or so when you really load it up.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's what I've observed too. 2.2kw at 110v is 20a. I have mine on a dedicated 30a breaker

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12828

    Re: Inside Huanyang 2.2k Spindle GDZ-80-2.2B Water Cooled

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor_demon View Post
    That's what I've observed too. 2.2kw at 110v is 20a. I have mine on a dedicated 30a breaker
    That's because your supply can't supply enough current to the VFD to drive for the oversized spindle

    23amps is if you had a 240v supply to a 240v VFD Drive for the same 2.2Kw spindle, the snip below is from the VFD Drive manual note 2.2Kw @220v is 23A input current needed

    For 120v supply to do the same job you would have to double that to run the same 2.2Kw spindle, this is why they fail you should not be buying the 2.2Kw spindles for 120v supply, at max of 1.5Kw spindle to run of the same VFD Drive and it would work much better than a 2.2Kw ever will
    Mactec54

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    4

    Re: Inside Huanyang 2.2k Spindle GDZ-80-2.2B Water Cooled

    I realize this is and old post and topic but I have some new information about the cheaper brand Chinese spindles that might be of interest to any one deciding to buy one. I have one of the GDZ-80-1.5 spindles.

    Initially I ran it with the tub and aquarium pump that was supplied with the machine and it seemed to be fine. I got creative and built a closed loop cooling system with a small radiator with fan and pump with reservoir.
    Filled up the pump reservoir with corrosion inhibiting coolant and all seemed to be good. After a day of not using the machine I turned on the cooling system only to find some of the coolant disappeared. Checked for leaks, No leaks. OK maybe the radiator had a bit of air trapped in it. Topped up the tank and used the motor for a few hours. Level didn't drop. Great I thought. Next day started the pump, same thing. Coolant was missing. Next day even more coolant. I was now missing half a tank of coolant. After searching the Net I came across this post and the reason for the missing coolant was now obvious. The aluminum heat exchanger has no o-rings to prevent water escaping into the motor body. After having a long discussion with another motor manufacturer I found out they don't fit o-rings. Instead they use glue. (Good luck with that.) Apparently all the cheaper brand spindle motors don't have o-ring seals on the heat exchanger. If you don't use a closed loop cooling system you may never notice a drop in water level and when your motor fails may just think it's a poor quality motor. Most likely the reason it failed was from water getting into the windings. An alternative would be to use a very light oil for the cooling medium. Something I will try when I eventually replace this motor.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12828

    Re: Inside Huanyang 2.2k Spindle GDZ-80-2.2B Water Cooled

    Quote Originally Posted by conelect View Post
    I realize this is and old post and topic but I have some new information about the cheaper brand Chinese spindles that might be of interest to any one deciding to buy one. I have one of the GDZ-80-1.5 spindles.

    Initially I ran it with the tub and aquarium pump that was supplied with the machine and it seemed to be fine. I got creative and built a closed loop cooling system with a small radiator with fan and pump with reservoir.
    Filled up the pump reservoir with corrosion inhibiting coolant and all seemed to be good. After a day of not using the machine I turned on the cooling system only to find some of the coolant disappeared. Checked for leaks, No leaks. OK maybe the radiator had a bit of air trapped in it. Topped up the tank and used the motor for a few hours. Level didn't drop. Great I thought. Next day started the pump, same thing. Coolant was missing. Next day even more coolant. I was now missing half a tank of coolant. After searching the Net I came across this post and the reason for the missing coolant was now obvious. The aluminum heat exchanger has no o-rings to prevent water escaping into the motor body. After having a long discussion with another motor manufacturer I found out they don't fit o-rings. Instead they use glue. (Good luck with that.) Apparently all the cheaper brand spindle motors don't have o-ring seals on the heat exchanger. If you don't use a closed loop cooling system you may never notice a drop in water level and when your motor fails may just think it's a poor quality motor. Most likely the reason it failed was from water getting into the windings. An alternative would be to use a very light oil for the cooling medium. Something I will try when I eventually replace this motor.
    If you where loosing that much coolant you would be able to see it leaking, they can not leak into the windings from the outer jacket, the only place they can leak into the windings is if the top caps 2 Orings are not correctly installed

    So if you have a leak from the outer jacket you would be able to see it easy so the water leaking if any is not the cause usually of the motors being smoked

    So you should take the top off the motor and check the Orings if they don't have enough compression to make the seal they will leak if your closed system pressure is to high also this will cause leaks
    Mactec54

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    4

    Re: Inside Huanyang 2.2k Spindle GDZ-80-2.2B Water Cooled

    @Mactec54
    The only pressure in my system is that of returning the fluid to the reservoir which would be very low. I have a vent in the top of the reservoir to release any built up pressure that may be caused by warming fluid etc.
    My curiosity got the better of me so I decided to pull the motor apart just to see if my suspicion was correct. The motor was completely dry with no sign of coolant anywhere. Where does that much coolant go in a closed loop system? Mactec54 you are correct, there is no seal between the internal motor cavity and bearing retainer flanges so if there was 200ml of fluid in there it surely would have been noticeable after some 6 months. I am stumped with this one. There are no puddles of fluid anywhere. I guess I should just keep topping up the fluid until it stops disappearing. Funny how after seeing pictures posted by Raptor_Demon, I thought I had it in the bag. Just goes to show, you never really know until you pull it apart.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12828

    Re: Inside Huanyang 2.2k Spindle GDZ-80-2.2B Water Cooled

    Quote Originally Posted by conelect View Post
    @Mactec54
    The only pressure in my system is that of returning the fluid to the reservoir which would be very low. I have a vent in the top of the reservoir to release any built up pressure that may be caused by warming fluid etc.
    My curiosity got the better of me so I decided to pull the motor apart just to see if my suspicion was correct. The motor was completely dry with no sign of coolant anywhere. Where does that much coolant go in a closed loop system? Mactec54 you are correct, there is no seal between the internal motor cavity and bearing retainer flanges so if there was 200ml of fluid in there it surely would have been noticeable after some 6 months. I am stumped with this one. There are no puddles of fluid anywhere. I guess I should just keep topping up the fluid until it stops disappearing. Funny how after seeing pictures posted by Raptor_Demon, I thought I had it in the bag. Just goes to show, you never really know until you pull it apart.
    That damaged spindle was not from water damage, when the varnish / insolation burns off like that everything rusts inside so it appears that it was caused by water but that is not the case

    Yours loss is probably from evaporation through the vent, I loose 2 Gallons and up to 5 Gallons of coolant from just one machining center a week, evaporation is usually the cause if you have no leaks
    Mactec54

  16. #16
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    925

    Re: Inside Huanyang 2.2k Spindle GDZ-80-2.2B Water Cooled

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    That damaged spindle was not from water damage, when the varnish / insolation burns off like that everything rusts inside so it appears that it was caused by water but that is not the case

    Yours loss is probably from evaporation through the vent, I loose 2 Gallons and up to 5 Gallons of coolant from just one machining center a week, evaporation is usually the cause if you have no leaks

    Similar to an overheated brushless motor in an rc.
    When the laminations let go it makes a right orange mess inside.
    And it stinks!.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    4

    Re: Inside Huanyang 2.2k Spindle GDZ-80-2.2B Water Cooled

    @dazp1976
    I am in the electronics business and do now that burnt varnish and burnt PVC can cause a lot of corrosive chemicals to be produced. So yes that does explain the rust / corrosion. After evaluating the build of the motor having stripped it down it's very unlikely any fluid would leak and not be noticed dripping out of the tool end of the motor. Have attached a picture of my cooling setup so that you can see that evaporation is impossible. It may be that some of the cooling channels in the radiator never filled properly and that is where the coolant was going. Now that I know the motor is safe and good I will just keep topping up until the losses stop. (Surely they must stop Ha Ha) Thanks for your input. Hopefully the attachment works. Have not tried doing one before today.
    Cheers To all.

  18. #18
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1280

    Re: Inside Huanyang 2.2k Spindle GDZ-80-2.2B Water Cooled

    Probably just air caught in radiator, then shifts when you turn pump off.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Probably just air caught in radiator, then shifts when you turn pump off.
    I'm in agreement, but if you want to be sure and your radiator doesn't naturally burp well, then cycle your pump over and over until it's fully burped, per typical process for burping a car system after a total drain and refill. Adding vibration (like machining) will help, or even a low amplitude shaker motor.

    You should make sure, unlikely though I expect it to be, that you don't have any air capture points like high points in hoses and such.

    Once you eliminate the possibility of a gassy system, then you can start sniffing around again if you still lose fluid. I think we're all interested in what you find!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 66
    Last Post: 07-29-2020, 02:22 PM
  2. A Look Inside a Chinese 3.0kW Water Cooled Spindle
    By kevincnc in forum Spindles / VFD
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 05-02-2019, 02:57 PM
  3. Spindle ER11 water cooled VS. ER16 air cooled
    By joaopcrodrigues in forum DIY CNC Router Table Machines
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-06-2018, 05:47 PM
  4. Crazy Idea - converting Air Cooled spindle to Water Cooled
    By BanduraMaker in forum DIY CNC Router Table Machines
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-20-2018, 02:29 AM
  5. Is it possible to install a RPM sensor inside a 2.2kw Water Cooled Spindle
    By Mad Professor in forum General CNC Machine Related Electronics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 01:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •