584,817 active members*
4,952 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 12 12311

Interlock for VFD / Water Pump

I plan to run a G540 along with a Chinese 1.5KW 110VAC input VFD, Water Cooled Spindle and a DC or AC water cooling pump (have not bought anything yet)

I know the G540 outputs 1 & 2 can turn ON the VFD and the water pump but since it’s important to have the water pump ON before the spindle runs I don’t know right now if it’s possible to instruct the G540 to run the pump first and then the spindle. I assume this is possible

However to prevent damage to the spindle I was thinking to have some king of an interlock which in case the water pump fails to have the spindle stop at the same time.

Can someone help me here?
    Nicolas

Re: Interlock for VFD / Water Pump

Quote Originally Posted by kolias View Post
    I plan to run a G540 along with a Chinese 1.5KW 110VAC input VFD, Water Cooled Spindle and a DC or AC water cooling pump (have not bought anything yet)

I know the G540 outputs 1 & 2 can turn ON the VFD and the water pump but since it’s important to have the water pump ON before the spindle runs I don’t know right now if it’s possible to instruct the G540 to run the pump first and then the spindle. I assume this is possible

However to prevent damage to the spindle I was thinking to have some king of an interlock which in case the water pump fails to have the spindle stop at the same time.

Can someone help me here?
    You could just put a water flow sensor in the line and connect that into the VFD control circuit, I think Widgitmaster used one for his system when he built his last router, which you could look up and see what he did
    Mactec54

Its not critical to have the water pump on before the spindle. In the couple seconds it takes to establish flow no harm is going to be done to the spindle. I put a visual flow indicator on both routers that I've built. I dont trust a hall effect flow sensor to be reliable enough to trust my spindle to it. Especially the cheap ones that are available all over Amazon etc. Where I work we use hundreds of different flowmeters of various kinds. Some last for many years and some fail with regularity. Not a device that I just want to "trust" is working.

I understand now I can have the water pump running thru the VFD and I may come back to this subject when I get the VFD

However I still do not have a solution on how to stop the spindle when the water pump dies. I agree flow meter are troublesome and I was thinking about a temperature sensor on the spindle which will cut the power to the spindle if a certain temperature is reached.

Anyone has a similar setup?
    Nicolas

That would be easy enough to do. I'd suggest an electronic thermostat like Mcmaster carr 1760K77. Then you got a readout on temp. Put the contacts in series with the VFD "RUN".

Karl

That sounds a great idea Karl

Unfortunately McMaster Carr do not provide any details on 1760K77 except a basic description and a picture of the product. Is it as simple as to attach the probe to the spindle and assuming the thermostat has 2 wires at the back connect these wires in series with the VFD Run?

Macmaster Carr do not ship to Canada and searching I get tons of electronic T’Stats for home application. Any idea what I’m looking in particular?
    Nicolas

Sorry, did not know you were in Canada. Do you remember a movie. years ago, where John Candy wanted to declare war on Canada? I think McmasterCarr took him serious.

Do you Zoro?

https://www.zoro.com/johnson-control...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

It comes with GREAT directions. Let me know if you got questions. I must have a dozen of these in use.

Sometimes I wonder what happened to the free trade between Canada and USA. Very frustrating to find out some vendors do not ship to Canada like we are in North Korea lol.

BTW I didn’t know about Zoro and they don’t ship to Canada either. For international shipping they direct you to a site which will receive the goods and they ship to worldwide.

Anyway searching I found about thermistors (I don’t know what they are) but apparently they can trigger the VFD to stop the spindle. I will order my Chinese VFD / spindle package soon and when I receive it and check all connections available on the VFD perhaps I will know more.

In any case your idea is very good and either an electronic thermostat or thermistor will do what I’m looking for
    Nicolas

Try Amre Supply for the same thermostat as at Zoro. Only twice the price but already in Canada.

Although very expensive, it’s a possibility

Thanks for the link, very good to have for us in Canada
    Nicolas

Why not use or build around a simple manifold thermostatic switch such as used in dryers etc, you can get them for certain temp points, BTW for Hardware in Canada, Misumi is a handy source and do ship with no brokerage etc.
    I wouldn't think you need a whole controller?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

That’s a very good idea Al, never thought about it and I will look into it. However I would also like to have a digital temp. indicator.

This link has one which I think may do the job. What’s your opinion?
    2pcs W1209 Digital Thermostat Temperature Controler 50 110°C 12V Sensor | eBay

I didn’t know about Misumi, thanks for the info
    Nicolas

You can't beat the price though!
    The Misumi catalogues they send also have useful engineering data, at least they used to.
    Al.

Albert E.

Yes, the price is amazing but there are other ones for $10-$15 with an enclosure and I will get one of them. Much easier than building an enclosure myself

I assume the relay will be connected in series to one of the spindle wires. The spindle wires are labeled U, V, W. Does it matter which one I choose to splice the relay?
    Nicolas

Why not use the VFD L.V. stop input?
    Never switch the output of a VFD.
    Al.

Albert E.

I forgot to ask you this question Al but now you gave me the answer (Never switch the VFD output)

I will be ordering my VFD / Spindle set from China soon and when I get it I will look for the LV stop input. I have now a Delta VFD-M manual (from a VFD I bought a few years back) and I don’t see any terminals marked LV
    Nicolas

LV refers to the low voltage input control terminals (stop/start etc) which are often 24vdc fed and in some cases can be configured by parameter as to methods of start/stop etc.
    The Chinese VFD's are not that great, I would pay a couple of $$'s more and get a Hitachi etc.
    Al..

Albert E.

I know about the Chinese VFD’s reliability Al but price is the King and they are unbeatable. But I still search for one in US and even if I find one there some don’t even ship to Canada.

Anyway I found this one and I asked if they ship to Canada, I’m waiting (funny but some don’t even know where Canada is!)
    FM50-101-C
    Nicolas

Quote Originally Posted by kolias View Post
    I forgot to ask you this question Al but now you gave me the answer (Never switch the VFD output)

I will be ordering my VFD / Spindle set from China soon and when I get it I will look for the LV stop input. I have now a Delta VFD-M manual (from a VFD I bought a few years back) and I don’t see any terminals marked LV
    They are not marked as LV they just have the voltage marked as to what the VFD Drive is controlled by, it can show it to be 24v which most are, some have more than one control voltage, like 0-10v for PWM control, VFD Drives also have there own built in LV voltage power supplies, that you can use, this can be anywhere from 24v, 12v, 10v and 5v just depends on the VFD Drives manufacturer

The FM50-101-C VFD you are just looking at is only good for 1Hp, a VFD that runs on 120v don't go very high in Hp rating, Teco make a good VFD
    Mactec54

Thanks mastec54 for the heads up on LV

1HP is ok for me although a bit more would have been better but I’m limited to the input voltage; I only have 110VAC, 15A in my garage because it’s not easy to run a new 220VAC line due to the location of the mains control panel

Factorymation did not reply to my email perhaps because its Saturday today but checking on their shipping policy they do ship internationally

Assuming I can get this TECO VFD, the next step is to get the spindle and so far I came empty handed searching for US suppliers. Would you know any supplier?

If not then I will have to get one from eBay or Aliexpress
    Nicolas

Page 1 of 12 12311