585,715 active members*
3,856 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Is it better to have a z axis proximity switch vs an A axis on my slave motor? Mach3

Question Is it better to have a z axis proximity switch vs an A axis on my slave motor? Mach3

I am having problems with my z axis configuration and it is hitting the top of the unit. The configuration is messed up.
    As part of the solution I am thinking of robbing the pin for my a axis slaved motor to the y axis which already has a switch. Currently I have
    pin 10 to Emergency switch,
    pin 11 to Y axis,
    pin 12 to A axis which is slaved to X
    pin 13 to X axis
    pin 15 is to probe.

On my parallel controller I am out of points now.
    Wouldn't it be better to have the Z limit for homing by moving it to pin used for A (Pin 12)?
    The Gantry seems to track fine and not even sure the Gantry uses the second limit to home with as a slave configuration.

Re: Is it better to have a z axis proximity switch vs an A axis on my slave motor? M

Quote Originally Posted by Davidtex0128 View Post
    I am having problems with my z axis configuration and it is hitting the top of the unit. The configuration is messed up.
    As part of the solution I am thinking of robbing the pin for my a axis slaved motor to the y axis which already has a switch. Currently I have
    pin 10 to Emergency switch,
    pin 11 to Y axis,
    pin 12 to A axis which is slaved to X
    pin 13 to X axis
    pin 15 is to probe.

On my parallel controller I am out of points now.
    Wouldn't it be better to have the Z limit for homing by moving it to pin used for A (Pin 12)?
    The Gantry seems to track fine and not even sure the Gantry uses the second limit to home with as a slave configuration.
    Ideally. X should have both the switches wired in n eithher seriess for NC or paralell for NO going to 1 input leavinng an input left over for Z.
    Or better still you need a new controller with more inputs.

Re: Is it better to have a z axis proximity switch vs an A axis on my slave motor? M

I could run the A axis in series with the x if that is ok. I would think that would work so that if either hits the switch first then it trips all of the switches. I agree about getting a new card. I have 50 cutting boards to do and then I can do that. But for now that would give me a good z limit switch and allow me to fix my z limits and travel problems.

Thanks,