584,829 active members*
4,902 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Jet-16 Mill/Drill Quill Handle Threads

Jet-16 Mill/Drill Quill Handle Threads

I have an 1984 Jet-16 Mill Drill that I am converting back to manual. The machine never came with handles to raise and lower the quill. I can't tell what the thread pitch of the handles was based on the threaded holes. I'm guessing the handles were 1/2" or 12mm. None of my thread pitch gauges seem like a great fit. I can only get a 1/2-13 and a 12x1.75mm bolt to go into the hole about three threads. I'm hoping to chase the threads and make new handles. Would someone mind measuring the thread pitch for me. I'd really appreciate it.

Re: Jet-16 Mill/Drill Quill Handle Threads

Quote Originally Posted by keysd View Post
    I have an 1984 Jet-16 Mill Drill that I am converting back to manual. The machine never came with handles to raise and lower the quill. I can't tell what the thread pitch of the handles was based on the threaded holes. I'm guessing the handles were 1/2" or 12mm. None of my thread pitch gauges seem like a great fit. I can only get a 1/2-13 and a 12x1.75mm bolt to go into the hole about three threads. I'm hoping to chase the threads and make new handles. Would someone mind measuring the thread pitch for me. I'd really appreciate it.
    I should have been more clear. Would someone who also owns this machine mind identifying the thread of the quill feed handle?

Re: Jet-16 Mill/Drill Quill Handle Threads

I turned a bunch of test threads and the best fit has been .480 diameter at 12TPI. Its possible the thread was cut 12X2.0Mmm, but I'm not going to mess with it anymore. I hope this saves someone else some time down the road.