585,784 active members*
3,696 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: KAL1

KAL1

Hey, first post here, so hello folks!

I'm just wondering if anyone has any opinions / build experience with the KAL1.
    I'm considering building it but i'm a bit skeptical given that there's no community feedback or reviews on the machine. It certainly look like a solid piece of kit

Here's the URL for the plans
    https://kalcnc.com/kal1/

Thanks!
    Declan B

Re: KAL1

Hi Declan - Well Dave at Kal certainly knows how to put together a great video and web page (or someone who does). He uses great words too, plus the usual tactics of "low cost", repetition, telling the reader how they will solve your struggle etc etc . He describes the KAL as "super rigid" yet it uses round rails and thin hollow sections, these are not used on commercially very rigid machines. I'm sure it will work fine if built well. Welding the frame straight will be the biggest issue and that maybe one of the reasons KAL uses round rail vs square other then they cost less. What is the total cost of the machine? He is actually "selling" you a build book vs "selling" a machine. You need to determine the machine cost before you decide on the KAL. Plus he recommends using Linuxcnc and fusion 360. You had better have a go at these before you jump as well. Some people struggle to get comfy with them. Peter

Hi,
    great sales technique but if that machine is rigid enough to cut aluminum in the way he is talking then I'll eat my hat. I've seen machines many times more rigid and still not be
    rigid enough to cut aluminum.

Craig

The guy is what I would call a pony rider. He will tell you 250 different ways to ride a pony, but he doesn't own one. Run it's a trap.

Hi,
    I would suggest look at one of the many mill-drills out there. This one, a RongFu 45 is typical:

https://rongfu.com/mill-drill-machin...-machine-rf45/

They do a pretty good job in aluminum, and with care are rigid enough to do steel. If you too want to cut aluminum then you'll need a machine that is at least as rigid, and that's no easy task.
    These machines are made of cast iron and steel, and if you are trying to match them it will be expensive. Aluminum extrusions and round rails are just not going to make the grade.

You might find a mill-drill of this description around second hand, and that may make it much more affordable. There are quite a few examples of people converting these machines to CNC
    on this forum.

Craig

Even though there is so much fluff in this presentation, (Beware) there will be plenty of unknowable people still buy into it

Without all the fluff, this is just a basic machine that someone at home could build in their garage, so nothing special just someone trying to make a dollar with progressive advertising
    Mactec54