585,679 active members*
5,127 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Laser-Cutter X-axis resetting to different location each time.

Laser-Cutter X-axis resetting to different location each time.

Hi all... back again.

One of my laser-cutters has started exhibiting strange behaviour on the X-axis.

For a while it's been having sporadic issues with slipping... which usually happens with a grinding sound... and usually with rapid x-axis movements.

I've:
    - cleaned the entire thing
    - tightened the belt
    - replaced the belt
    - replaced the stepper motor
    - tried opening/shorting the limit switches

What it has started doing now is setting the x-axis right-limit (home), not in the top-right corner, but somewhere left of that.

If I click the reset button, it goes to where it thinks the home position is, then moves about a centimetre to the left, and makes that the new home. It subsequently won't move to the right of this.

This is a short video of me clicking the reset button... 3 times - it might explain what is happening better than I.

I click reset... the head moves to the left.

I'm using an AWC608 - main board:7.14.08.22 :: LCD board: 5.13.09.15

Any clues what is happening here?

Re: Laser-Cutter X-axis resetting to different location each time.

Oh... either this system deleted the link to my video, or I forgot to post it.

https://goo.gl/photos/yGvJRRBwkdxrgftx5

Hi all

Any ideas about this?

We reattached all the wire to the drivers (some were a bit loose), but it's still resetting in the wrong place... when it finishes a job it doesn't move to its old X position. Just goes straight up and then moves about an inch in the X positive direction.

Nick

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	347324
    Contact: Eric Cai E-mail: [email protected] Skype: sely.sunic Web: www.arguslaser.net

Holy Cow, there's a gremlin out there. I found this thread because I have an old Universal that's doing the very same thing - only it's on the Y axis with mine - and I was looking around for advice. Mine moves 1½" when I boot up the machine, and then moves 1½" again each time I press the re-home button. But in all cases, still says it's positioned at 24 and 0. Did you ever figure yours out?

Quote Originally Posted by Nickwit View Post
    Hi all

Any ideas about this?

We reattached all the wire to the drivers (some were a bit loose), but it's still resetting in the wrong place... when it finishes a job it doesn't move to its old X position. Just goes straight up and then moves about an inch in the X positive direction.

Nick

Hiya - thanks for your reply.

The limit switches don't appear to do anything at all. The limits are set in software I think... so if I try to move the head right... it moves to where it thinks zero is, then will move no further.

Unfortunately, every time a "reset" happens (eg: when finishing a job), it changes the X zero position to be wherever the head is at the time.

In other words - the head slowly moves to the top of the workspace... then a little to the left... then that's where it thinks zero is, and you can't move the head to the right of that line.

I think it must be a software issue.

Does anyone know how to re-download (re-flash?) the software in the AWC608 board?

(Hi Janworx.... nope, not fixed yet )

Quote Originally Posted by Nickwit View Post
    Hiya - thanks for your reply.

The limit switches don't appear to do anything at all. The limits are set in software I think... so if I try to move the head right... it moves to where it thinks zero is, then will move no further.

Unfortunately, every time a "reset" happens (eg: when finishing a job), it changes the X zero position to be wherever the head is at the time.

In other words - the head slowly moves to the top of the workspace... then a little to the left... then that's where it thinks zero is, and you can't move the head to the right of that line.

I think it must be a software issue.

Does anyone know how to re-download (re-flash?) the software in the AWC608 board?

(Hi Janworx.... nope, not fixed yet )
    Mine is similar, with the exception that it does NOT reset after each run. It does return the the erroneous home point that it created when the machine booted up. And, of course, mine is on the y-axis, rather than the x. But yes, it will not move beyond what it thinks is the Y limit, no matter where that may be. And if I press the re-home button, it will creep again and establish yet another home point.

I did take out the circuit board that rides above the lens on my machine, and there was, in fact, a broken pin on the y-axis detector. I've ordered a new one, and it should be here tomorrow. No idea at all if this will be the fix I'm looking for, but it obviously needs to be replaced, so that's a start.

My machine is an old Universal M-300, and this is the part I ordered. I will let you know if this actually worked for me, or whether I need to continue running down the problem. In the image, we're looking at the underneath side of the board.

ULS Flex Connector Board - For M/X Class, M300
    ULS Flex Connector Board, Upper

Just installed the new circuit board that has the sensors for the x and y axes. This is a SUCCESS STORY. Everything is back to normal, and working perfectly. It may not be a lot of help to you, but I wanted to let you (or others in the future) know that I solved my problem.

May you have good luck with yours as well. J