584,800 active members*
4,760 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking for a CNC and Software

Hello I’m totally new at all this so take it easy on me. I’m looking at starting a small hobby Bussness. Making crafts and signs mostly. I was originally looking at the Carvewright CNC mostly for its ease of use. You just design what u want transfer to memory card and its does the rest like telling you when to change bits and such. Well I’m from Canada and found out they dont ship or warranty here. So that’s a no go. Next on my list was the MillRight Mega V XL. Now That doesn’t come with it own software like the carveright unit does so was looking at the Vcarve Desktop or Pro. Think i would need the pro to use the full area of the XL. SO my question is. Whats A good entry level machine maybe with its own software and thats easy to use. My budget is around 3k USD.

Re: Looking for a CNC and Software

You may find that "just" designing stuff is a little more challenging that it has been made to seem.Could I suggest you seek out some demo software to experiment with ?Once you have the means to generate the Gcode that all machines depend on,it will be an easier decision because you will have a greater understanding.

Re: Looking for a CNC and Software

Hi,

As a 2 or 2.5D cam application, there is CamBam, very low price, forever free updates, very capable

To make up designs, you can use the totally free InkScape application, save your sign or other layout/design into the Scaled Vector Graphic .svg file format, and using the Cambam free plugin, on github, import your designs into Cambam, create a tool selection, then generate your toolpath.

Should you come across some 3D .stl stereo lithography files you would like to run, you can use the free STL2DFX program to flatten a 3d into a 2d .dfx file, then load that into CamBam.

Also free, is NetFab Free, on github, only, with which you can slice/divide a stl into other formats suitable for load into CamBam.