585,578 active members*
4,123 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Looking for a simple solution to control a stepper without a computer

Looking for a simple solution to control a stepper without a computer

I am looking to move a single axis up and down remotely without a computer.

Preferably with a click of a button or even an MPG Pendant.

It's going to move up/down 20 inches and trip micro switches to stop.

I'm familiar with Geckodrives and doing this with a PC/Mach3 but I'd like to eliminate the PC in this loop.

What would be my simplest and quickest off the shelf solution?

Thank you kindly,
    Drew

Re: Looking for a simple solution to control a stepper without a computer

I think this is what you want. SainSmart 1 Axis CNC Servo Stepper Motor Motion Programmable Controller | eBay

I have one, but have only used it long enough to make sure it worked. Haven't really gotten into the programming

If you like Geckodrives, check out their GM215 programable controller. It should do what you want.

GM215 Step Motor / Motion Controller - Featured Products | GeckoDrive

If you have the stepper drive already, you could use a toggle switch for the up/dwn input and a MPG or a 100p/rev encoder fed into the step input.
    If no drive, a simple mosfet on the output of the MPG/encoder should work, for slow speed you do not need much in the way of voltage.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I wish I knew more about it, but I have seen many people are using a raspberry pi and arduino setup to control multiple axis intelligently (on Youtube) with multiple sensor and accelerometer inputs. The raspberry pi is in fact a small computer, but it's not expensive, and it is compact.

I am considering learning more about this to build a 3d printer and perhaps a star wars inspired droid. Unfortunately I don't know how to set up one of these systems yet.

One thing you haven't mentioned is the weight of this single axis and the size of the motor. I think we are all considering that this is a light duty application. For heavier duty applications where motor current requirements are higher, or where safety could be a factor, your options change.

Thank you for all the great ideas.

I like the SainSmart idea but am not too sure about the negative reviews for it on Amazon.

I haven't purchased anything yet other than hardware for the axis, lead screw/nut/bearings/micro switches. etc.

Ideally I'd like it to work like a garage door. hit a button and it goes up, hit the same button and it goes down.
    It will move 19 inches and I'm using a 1/2-10 single start lead screw. Up and down at a pace of 30-40ipm would be great.
    The object that will be moving up and down is about 50-60 lbs. I figured if I used a lead screw with an anti backlash nut from dumpstercnc it would have enough friction to not freewheel down when its off.

Quote Originally Posted by Thazul View Post

I like the SainSmart idea but am not too sure about the negative reviews for it on Amazon.

Interesting Amazon reviews. I guess I got lucky with mine, worked as advertized out of the box. I agree that the instructions are a horrible translation. Normally on stuff like that I just push buttons until I understand how it works.

I think I won't recommend those any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Thazul View Post

I haven't purchased anything yet other than hardware for the axis, lead screw/nut/bearings/micro switches. etc.

Ideally I'd like it to work like a garage door. hit a button and it goes up, hit the same button and it goes down.
    It will move 19 inches and I'm using a 1/2-10 single start lead screw. Up and down at a pace of 30-40ipm would be great.
    The object that will be moving up and down is about 50-60 lbs. I figured if I used a lead screw with an anti backlash nut from dumpstercnc it would have enough friction to not freewheel down when its off.
    50 to 60 lbs is getting to be substantial. I have heard of problems with gas struts on CNC machines, as the dampening does not do well with fast up and down movements. However in your case, you are just looking at moving up and down in full strokes, or partial strokes, not like the rapid up and down of a CNC doing a 3D carving, so a gas strut will help you to counterbalance the weight and use a smaller motor. As I understand it, the small motors that use less current are more conducive to using the less expensive electronics components. Also, you would not need a high acceleration "G" with this, again reducing the size of the motor you need.

I'm not an expert on the single stage without a computer electronics, not even a novice really, but I do know that when the motor size goes up, that's when the price point changes on the electronics side.

Quote Originally Posted by NIC 77 View Post
    50 to 60 lbs is getting to be substantial. I have heard of problems with gas struts on CNC machines, as the dampening does not do well with fast up and down movements. However in your case, you are just looking at moving up and down in full strokes, or partial strokes, not like the rapid up and down of a CNC doing a 3D carving, so a gas strut will help you to counterbalance the weight and use a smaller motor. As I understand it, the small motors that use less current are more conducive to using the less expensive electronics components. Also, you would not need a high acceleration "G" with this, again reducing the size of the motor you need.

I'm not an expert on the single stage without a computer electronics, not even a novice really, but I do know that when the motor size goes up, that's when the price point changes on the electronics side.

I use a 10 tpi single start acme on my Z axis for my CNC, and it weighs at least 35lbs

I'm able to spin the leadscrew with 2 fingers to raise/lower it fairly easy with my steppers off.

I think my steppers on that are rated less than 300oz/in., I'd have to check my rapids but I think I can rapid at near 80 ipm without a threat of stalling.

Arduino paired with an inexpensive Gecko is looking very interesting to me.

Hi, just my 2 cents worth.....you could use a stepper motor with a pulse generator that will allow you to move the motor slow or fast progressively and forwards or reverse etc.

This is a stand alone set-up and does not need a computer at all.......you turn it on or off as required.

You will need a stepper motor with a driver, a pulse generator and a power supply etc.....couple a' bucks at most.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Hi, just my 2 cents worth.....you could use a stepper motor with a pulse generator that will allow you to move the motor slow or fast progressively and forwards or reverse etc.

This is a stand alone set-up and does not need a computer at all.......you turn it on or off as required.

You will need a stepper motor with a driver, a pulse generator and a power supply etc.....couple a' bucks at most.
    Ian.
    This was the reasoning in using a 100p/r encoder, they can be had on ebay cheap, a stepper drive is required anyway, This is if purely manual operation is needed.
    Al..

Albert E.

You;'re both right, I was over complicating it.

I haven't done anything on the electrical end since I finished my cnc probably 7-8 years ago.

Sorry for the the simple questions.

The only question I stll have is if i use a pulse generator like the one here

How do I wire limit switches to stop rotation but not shut it down just continue holding torque?

A simple geared DC motor could do this with no electronics other than a remote with an up down button. Stop switches wired on each end. Almost identical to a garage door opener in fact.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    A simple geared DC motor could do this with no electronics other than a remote with an up down button. Stop switches wired on each end. Almost identical to a garage door opener in fact.
    Well, I wouldn't apply straight Dc to a DC motor to hold it like a stepper as the coils would have to be in a specific configuration and not attached to a commutator........a stepper motor and driver with a pulse generator is simple and cheap.

Maybe a windscreen wiper motor type would work as it has a worm drive gearbox to do the holding and switches that can be rewired.......being DC it's also reversible and speed controllable.
    Ian.

You have the same issue when the stepper motor is powered down if there is a heavy weight resting on it. I like my chances better with a heavily geared DC motor.
    In fact I use basically this setup on my manual spring machine right now. It turns left and right hand springs. It's like 30 RPM's. It's driving an X2 lathe head with chain and sprockets and there is a spring arbor mounted in it.
    You won't be turning that motor by hand.
    Lee

bump
    Is it possible to use the pulse generator I linked and have limit switches stop it?
    Or should I just go the Arduino route?

I thought I answered that, a MPG or low res encoder with inputs to the step input of the stepper drive will command it,
    The hand unit you show has a MPG, and the common resolution is 100p/rev, should also be able to input to the drive..
    Al.

Albert E.