585,753 active members*
3,745 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Looking to buy a Tormach on the west coast
Page 1 of 2 12

Looking to buy a Tormach on the west coast

I live in San Francisco and I've been looking to buy a Tormach for a while. A brand-new one isn't in my budget, and I haven't seen any used machines pop up on craigslist for several months.

Anyone within reasonable driving distance of me looking to get a seldom-used Tormach out of their garage? Let me know!

Re: Looking to buy a Tormach on the west coast

Santa Cruz Electronics down here in Santa Cruz is a Tormach dealer. Call and talk to John Bower, the owner. Perhaps he might have a lead on a machine in the area for sale. or soon to be.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Used Tormachs are not common, but there have been a number of attractive looking CNC deals in the SF Bay Area Craigslist. One example now:
    Bridgeport CNC Mill
    If your budget is severely cramped, something like this might be the answer. One the one hand, it will probably need work, but OTOH it's a Bridgeport (i.e better built than Tormach).

On the flip side, if your budget is not too far off, consider that the price difference between a new and used Tormach will not be huge. And a year later, after you've bought tooling and extras, your total expenditure will not be that much different (maybe a few $k out of $12-14k total), but who knows how long you'll have to wait (and not be machining) before you find the used deal. This is how I convinced myself to get a new 770 last year. I didn't want to spend a year on a machine project before I could start cutting, but I could afford to make that choice.

Quote Originally Posted by lens42 View Post
    Used Tormachs are not common, but there have been a number of attractive looking CNC deals in the SF Bay Area Craigslist. One example now:
    Bridgeport CNC Mill
    If your budget is severely cramped, something like this might be the answer. One the one hand, it will probably need work, but OTOH it's a Bridgeport (i.e better built than Tormach).

On the flip side, if your budget is not too far off, consider that the price difference between a new and used Tormach will not be huge. And a year later, after you've bought tooling and extras, your total expenditure will not be that much different (maybe a few $k out of $12-14k total), but who knows how long you'll have to wait (and not be machining) before you find the used deal. This is how I convinced myself to get a new 770 last year. I didn't want to spend a year on a machine project before I could start cutting, but I could afford to make that choice.
    Trust me.... You do NOT want a knee mill as a CNC machine....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Always wondered about that type of setup or conversion!
    Thanks for your advice!

I got my machine from Santa Cruz electronics. John and Paul are awesome guys. I could've bought direct from Tormach and save some money on tax but decided after talking to John to buy from them instead. Better customer service than Tormach. And John owns a pcnc1100 so he knows these machines pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Ray is right. For one thing, if you run a Bridgeport type machine, you're gonna have chips EVERYWHERE.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Theres a ton of tool room guys who would take many of these knee mill types over a bed mill. Just depends on the mill in question.

Quote Originally Posted by polar8 View Post
    I live in San Francisco and I've been looking to buy a Tormach for a while. A brand-new one isn't in my budget, and I haven't seen any used machines pop up on craigslist for several months.

Anyone within reasonable driving distance of me looking to get a seldom-used Tormach out of their garage? Let me know!
    Polar - if you are interested I am thinking of upgrading to a VMC and will be selling my Novakon Pulsar. Here's the craigslist link: CNC Mill, Novakon Pulsar w/ 4th Axis & tooling

Don't know if you're still looking... Just saw this on CL
    Tormach PCNC 1100 CNC Mill

outrageous price, do they really go for that much used?

Quote Originally Posted by TiO2 View Post
    Equipped like that one, yes they do. That's actually a pretty good price.

That machine looks like the guy did everything except turn it on.

perhaps I am missing something, the mill appears new, comes with a some nice goodies/upgrades...
    it looks like a really good deal for $11K
    mills are not cars, the don't lose half their value when you drive it off the lot... your would be saving a couple grand buying it used vs new, what more do you want? for them to give it away? actually that would technically be better... at least for the lucky person on the receiving end...
    NOTE:As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeWhatLost View Post
    perhaps I am missing something, the mill appears new, comes with a some nice goodies/upgrades...
    it looks like a really good deal for $11K
    mills are not cars, the don't lose half their value when you drive it off the lot... your would be saving a couple grand buying it used vs new, what more do you want? for them to give it away? actually that would technically be better... at least for the lucky person on the receiving end...
    Agree. If anything, that one's a bit on the low side for age and what's listed.

Tormach PCNC 1100 CNC Milling Machine

Another one just showed up if you dont mind a little older and more used looking. I prefer the first one though, the thing looks hardly used. You basically save a couple of grand with all the tooling that comes with it and save on shipping costs which is about $600. The guy did say OBO so maybe he can make the deal even sweeter..

The new price is only just above what that first listing is selling for. I didn't include any of the tooling in my price. (Good luck selling those separately anywhere for anything substantial.) Basically I priced everything in his ad up to and including the tool setter. Basically you're saving tax and some tooling cost, at the expense of having to do the rigging yourself.

The used risk doesn't seem worth it to me, at that price.

I do like the 2nd listing much much better. There's some paint wear from use, no biggy. Unlike many sellers of their crap used gear, he cleaned it up quite nicely for the photo. That 2nd listing is running mach3, is it a big deal to upgrade to pathpilot?

That 2nd listing is running mach3, is it a big deal to upgrade to pathpilot?
    Nope, just install the PCIe card in the computer and then install the PathPilot operating system using the dvd.

PP upgrade is no big deal. Looks like a Series I machine though (label is almost readable, that may be wrong). If so, that means that it MAY need motion upgrades and a VFD change to act like today's machines (if that's what is expected). Not, necessarily, required- but there seems to be general agreement that the better spindle and motion control were both good changes. Price is about what I'd expect for a series I.

As for a serial number, and about hardware upgrades. That'll define exactly what's on offer.

both ads deleted, I assume sold. If someone here bought the <1 yr old one, or is the seller, would love to know how much you paid.

both ads deleted, I assume sold. If someone here bought the <1 yr old one, or is the seller, would love to know how much you paid.
    See what happens? You snooze, you lose.

Page 1 of 2 12