585,991 active members*
5,102 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Minimal lube always on

We have a VM-2 mill with the minimal lube system. I used to verify that the lube was working by depressing the solenoid button several times and watching for a drop to form in the sight glass. Today I checked it and the solenoid was already activated and staying on. We shut the mill down and took the solenoid off the valve and verified that it and the valve was moving freely. They were. When we restarted, the solenoid stayed off until it fully started so it seems to be operating?
    So, it got checked once a week by me and I'm wondering if it's operating normally. Maybe I just always happened to check it when it was off?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Chris

Re: Minimal lube always on

There's a setting to use to check the lube system. Scroll through the settings page and the oil and grease images will appear on the screen and you can press a button to test them. I think it's F2 for the oil but nor 100% certain. I'm not currently in the workshop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks djm77. That put me in the right direction. Its in the DGNOS pages under Diagnostics tab and Lube sub tab. Lol. F3 to test the spindle oil lube. Now ask me later what I just said and I wouldn't come as close as you did. Thanks.
    The lube is working as far as the test goes but I'm still pretty sure that solenoid that blows the drops to the spindle shouldn't be on continuously. But pretty sure is not sure. When you get to your machine, can you check?
    Thanks again.

I checked today and ours isn't on constantly, not sure of the delay in how often they oil systems kicks in, but on the diagnostic page it says next cycle, 31 mins. Pressing F3 as you correctly said, opens/turns on the solenoid and the after about 10 seconds and 2-3 drops of oil, it closes/shuts off again. As a reference, we have had our VF2SS for just over 3 years now and it has run nearly every day in that time, and we have only used around 1/2" of oil from full, from when it was installed. If your solenoid is open constantly then I assume you will be going through oil rather more quickly than I have.

Thanks djm77.
    So it looks like we need Haas to look at it. The solenoid is off when machine is starting up (as it should be) but turns on as soon as it finishes starting up. I believe it should only turn on when spindle is turning. So its getting a false signal to energize.
    I'm not concerned about using too much oil...yet. I worry a lot so my mind goes straight to the constantly on air blow is somehow stopping the oil from dropping properly.
    We'll have to call our local Haas.
    Thanks again.

No probs. I can't see it being on when the spindle is running either, otherwise we would have used substantially more oil in the past 3 years than the 1/2" that we have done. If it was dripping the whole time our spindle was running I think I would have been topping the tank up, yet I've never had to go near it. I think it's just a timed thing, although I could be wrong. It will be interesting to hear what the Haas tech has to say. I might try and remember to ask ours when they come in for the annual service.

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    We have a VM-2 mill with the minimal lube system. I used to verify that the lube was working by depressing the solenoid button several times and watching for a drop to form in the sight glass. Today I checked it and the solenoid was already activated and staying on. We shut the mill down and took the solenoid off the valve and verified that it and the valve was moving freely. They were. When we restarted, the solenoid stayed off until it fully started so it seems to be operating?
    So, it got checked once a week by me and I'm wondering if it's operating normally. Maybe I just always happened to check it when it was off?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Chris
    Although you are not worried about the Oil consumption this can cause MAJOR issues with your spindle. Over oiling is a problem and can cause your spindle to over heat. I would recommend unplugging your solenoid and checking the voltage to the solenoid. Has any Electrical work been done to the machine? any parameters been changed? What happens when you go to dign on the lube page what does it say (IE 30 min till next cycle) This issue should be addressed before you have problems with your spindle.

Thank you for your answer and concern. I am still concerned but maybe not as much. I still don't believe the air should be on constantly but the solenoid operating the oil drop is operating correctly. So that explains why I'm not using too much oil. Doesn't explain the air solenoid.
    No electrical work (or any work since the battery change last year-umm year before last). No parameters changed. Just making parts.
    DGN timer says 6 minutes before next lube cycle. Stays constant until spindle is turning (I checked).

There are two solenoids - one pumps the oil into the line and the other blows the air up to the spindle. The oil pump solenoid only comes on intermittently as you confirmed. The other solenoid comes on and stays on whenever the spindle is turning and also for several minutes after the spindle stops. Your system appears to be working normally.

Thanks Sjschall624. It does appear to be working to put oil in the spindle. However the air blow into the spindle comes on at start up (spindle off) and stays on. Getting warm and buzzing at times. The solenoid, not me...well ok me too but that's another post.

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    Thanks Sjschall624. It does appear to be working to put oil in the spindle. However the air blow into the spindle comes on at start up (spindle off) and stays on. Getting warm and buzzing at times. The solenoid, not me...well ok me too but that's another post.
    Note: it will come on any time the spindle moves at all, like orienting the spindle or gear change.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Interesting. So you guys are saying it's possible everything is OK. I like that. So I'm going to just verify it's blowing and the oil drip one works when activated.
    Thanks. I'll post any updates if it stops working.

If you can hear the spindle's fan, the lube mist solenoid will be on at the same time. Hitting the E-stop button should deactivate it (and the fan). but then if you perform just about any type of MDI operation like toolchange, any programmed axis movement via MDI, toolchange, etc...then it'll start back up under the assumption that you're about to start running a program.