545,749 active members*
2,314 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Motion control

1st post so please forgive me. I have a concept for a cnc machine (could be a router 3d printer ECT) it would have the xy plane move up and down together to form the z axis. Similar to a core xy machine without the belt system. I'm sure this has been done before but I can not get the terminology right to find information. Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Piecedtogether View Post
    1st post so please forgive me. I have a concept for a cnc machine (could be a router 3d printer ECT) it would have the xy plane move up and down together to form the z axis. Similar to a core xy machine without the belt system. I'm sure this has been done before but I can not get the terminology right to find information. Thank you for your time.
    Does anyone have suggestions on what this type of configuration would be called?

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    Thank you for your response. Those are some interesting designs but mine would be a cartesian machine. I'm probably not doing a very good job of describing the concept. The XY plane moves up and down together to form the Z axis. Probably would have 4 corner posts to travel vertically.

Re: Motion control

Hi Pieced - Its called a lifting gantry machine. Does not need 4 posts can move up and down on two columns. Very large mills (the size of a small house say) do this some have moving Z and lifting Z as well. The Milli thread describes the design of a lifting gantry machine... there are a couple of threads on this type of machine.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/verti...14840-cnc.html

https://www.yogiemachinery.com/news/...-10660851.html

cheers Peter