584,817 active members*
4,550 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > MPG Handwheel Pulse Multiplier

MPG Handwheel Pulse Multiplier

Hello. I'm using a Chinese 80mm 100pr 5 volt MPG Handwheel to directly pulse the stepper drivers on my CNC mill system. Making a "fly by wire" method to jog/move mill axis bypassing the software controls.
    The steps are actually too fine, and I do not want to alter the pulse per revolution that the stepper drivers are set at. Does anyone know a method that will multiply the step output of the MPG handwheel? Ideally a method to switch select x1, x10 or x100 would be great.
    Arduino solutions are fine if someone could point me in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by cgabel View Post
    Hello. I'm using a Chinese 80mm 100pr 5 volt MPG Handwheel to directly pulse the stepper drivers on my CNC mill system. Making a "fly by wire" method to jog/move mill axis bypassing the software controls.
    The steps are actually too fine, and I do not want to alter the pulse per revolution that the stepper drivers are set at. Does anyone know a method that will multiply the step output of the MPG handwheel? Ideally a method to switch select x1, x10 or x100 would be great.
    Arduino solutions are fine if someone could point me in the right direction.

I’m also looking for a similar solution, i'm building a lathe with a ballscrew for both feeding manually and a controller for threading, a switch to chose between manual or threading,

The encoder input to an arduino, multiply the pulses to a stepper driver that matches with steps/rev for different resolutions to be able to jog the machine fast and then go back to fine “calibrated” resolution,

Anyone have some code who does this?