584,850 active members*
4,465 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Multicam MT-22 Help from a Newbie

Acquiring an MT-22. How do I find out if I can run it in my home? Single phase? - 3 Phase?....all foreign to me. Are these 120volt or 240? Also, searching internet for user manual or service manual or any information on this one heavy machine. Thanks!

Re: Multicam MT-22 Help from a Newbie

Most multicam machines are 3phase, there are however a few that are single phase machine, but even those are normally 240volt powered machines. Unfortunately this is a machine, that I don't not have any electrical drawing for this model machine. But if you have some pictures of the machine, I may have a manual for the operation of this machine. I need to know what keypad is attached to this machine.

Control panel showing in upper right. The machine is 50 miles away in storage. Hopefully you can tell what kind of MT22 it is. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachment 259200

Sorry your attachment didn't come through....send it to [email protected]

Thanks..just sent you a picture. Not the best... :-)

Sorry incorrect email address

[email protected]

I have a MultiCam 22Plus. It is a "single phase" unit. I do have the wiring diagrams for it. I'll send them to you if you want.

Mine is also a mid 90's unit. I am also getting ready to give it a rebuild. Your machine runs on DNC software which unfortunately will only work on older Windows Software up to XP.

My plan is to gut everything up to the steppers and go with a PC based system with a USB to a new controller. Will be a project but it beats the $9K+ I was quoted to upgrade it. I figure I should be able to do the whole thing for under $1K. Plus by rebuilding it I'll should be able to trouble shoot easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesdee View Post
    I have a MultiCam 22Plus. It is a "single phase" unit. I do have the wiring diagrams for it. I'll send them to you if you want.

Mine is also a mid 90's unit. I am also getting ready to give it a rebuild. Your machine runs on DNC software which unfortunately will only work on older Windows Software up to XP.

My plan is to gut everything up to the steppers and go with a PC based system with a USB to a new controller. Will be a project but it beats the $9K+ I was quoted to upgrade it. I figure I should be able to do the whole thing for under $1K. Plus by rebuilding it I'll should be able to trouble shoot easily.

Jamesdee/MCPService, I would love to have that wiring diagram. Also, where do you get the parts to rebuild. This one has the computer, but like you said I believe it is Windows 95 or 98. This week I finally get to pick it up. However, I am looking to disassemble it to lessen the weight. This machine weighs a ton! Again any help would be appreciated. Also, do you know where I can find a operators manual on this machine? Thanks! -Matt

Attachment 268442

I hope the attachment came out.

I have made a few changes. I'm still using Windows XP & the DNC software to run "Arnold", (what I call my MultiCam). I use VCarve Pro to layout my work.
    I have purchased everything I need to totally gut the electronics. I purchased a Planet CNC Controller & software. Three power supplies, 40V, 24V, 5V. Three heavy duty stepper drivers.
    It will be over engineered but brought up to date.

I went to Goodwill and bought an old Sony 5 disk stereo for $10. I gutted it and have a great case for the new electronics. The reason I'm doing it this way is I am still using Arnold to make plaques and don't want the downtime. It will be a challenge as I know just enough about electronics to be dangerous. There is a lot of help on the forums to answer most questions.

By the way, I think the MultiCam prints are not that accurate. As an example they say the steppers are type Nema 34. They are Nema 23. The "Z" drive is an 8 wire motor and the print shows a 4 wire stepper.

My email address is [email protected] if you have a problem downloading the prints.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesdee View Post
    I hope the attachment came out.
    It did! And thank you for posting it publicly. I've been reverse engineering my setup over the weekend ready to retrofit a new controller, so your pdf was a useful check to see I was headed in the right direction - even if it's not quite the same.

How's your new Planet CNC controller working out?

I'll drop my machine details here in case anyone is searching in future, or needs some scruffy, hand-drawn, wiring diagrams!:
    1996 vintage, Cipher CS2513 engraver/router. The electronics cabinet contains a G960 (4) controller and M23 (2) interface board with some MultiCam LCD pendant of unknown type. The wiring is similar to the pdf, so perhaps it shares a heritage with the MT-22 and was modified in its long life (I only found it on eBay 6months ago).

Glad the prints helped.

Progress is slow on the Planet CNC, MK3/4 controller upgrade. The problem I have at this time is I use "Arnold", my cnc's name, to carve plaques for various customers. So I have to double jumper all the shielded cables to the new stepper drivers and limit switches. I picked up an old Sony 5-CD changer, gutted it, and am building a new cabinet to house the workings. When done, I'll be able to remove the large "old" cabinet completely. I will then have 2015 technology!

Nice to hear other people name their machines too!
    5CD changer is a good call - I considered my old TiVo chassis, but now thinking a 19" telecoms cabinet with a couple of trays, this way, when I make some friends for Gerti all the electronics/power etc. can be in one place. I'm going to try and document the build, so will post up when I do.

Post Re: Multicam MT-22 Help from a Newbie

Might seem a bit random to message you after 5 years, but I just bought a Cipher CNC machine on ebay during covid lockdown, and I can't find any trace of its existence except for your post in this thread.

Do you have any idea if the company that made it still exists in any shape or form?? I'm trying to find if a more modern software solution is compatible with the control unit, as I was given a 30 year old computer running win 95 to run the software, which is even older than I am

Lol, mine came with a similar heap of junk Windows PC attached to it and with a virus freeloading onboard too. I never worked out if cipher was just a badging exercise or a manufacturing company but a google search turns up this guy who seems to have resold reconditioned ciphers in the past: http://www.caservicing.co.uk/engraving-machines/

If yours is the one that sold on ebay uk at the end of June the control box is totally different to the Multicam electronics mine came with. However, If you haven't tried sending some super simple G code to it see what it does that's probably where to start. If it interprets standard G-code there's plenty of software out there that can drive it.

So, finally got a chance to take another look at it after a few months. as it happens, that July ebay listing was exactly the machine I purchased, drove to lincolnshire to get it myself. I will try running it through GRBL controller, thanks for the heads up :-)