584,808 active members*
5,126 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > need help on my new used cincinnati arrow750

need help on my new used cincinnati arrow750

Hello,
    I bought a used arrow 750 with kolmorgen drives.
    I tested the machine before buy and it was running ok.

The machine is from england and know i'm at Portugal.

When i receive the machine the machine was with the table locked on the maximum y movement due to the seller didn't put some wood blocks to lock it and it moved during shipping since i couldn't move it i tried to put some power to see if it would make the alignment under power.
    I connected the 3 phase cable off my shop( it's 220v) to the transformer input and the cables on the transformer and transformer heat temp sensor to the machine.

The computer started and everything was ok but axis doesn't move and machine didn't align. and the i had a transformer overheating error. when i press the alignment i ear some noise like a engine trying to work but nothing moved and then i shut off the machine and changed the phase to see if it could be a wrong phase order.
    After this the machine never started any more, i turn the master on on the machine and then the shop power shuts off and at the same time i ear a "tlack" sound off a contactor shutting off.

Can someone help me find the problem?
    I changed the phases to those that the machine start ok but the machine is always shutting down when i put master on ( i have unlocked the table )

Can i jump the two blue cables coming from the transformer? ( overheating sensor )

Thanks.

Re: need help on my new used cincinnati arrow750

Yes, you can jumper the two blue wires for the transformer over temp together. Only the coolant motor is phase sensitive, the drives are not. Did you check any fuses?? Do you have electrical prints??? Did you check any voltages??

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

Quote Originally Posted by meckardt55 View Post
    Yes, you can jumper the two blue wires for the transformer over temp together. Only the coolant motor is phase sensitive, the drives are not. Did you check any fuses?? Do you have electrical prints??? Did you check any voltages??

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services
    Thanks for your answer it's good to know that it's not phase sensitive.
    I have checked the fuses and are all ok.
    I check the voltages and i'm having 280v, 280v, 110 v i think this is the problem! since one phase is very low the shop energy is going down due to overcharging the other phases.

When the machine started i ear the engines doing a noise like "emmmmmm" maybe due to the lack off one phase right?

Are you still having some trouble?

This is hard to figure out what the sound is that you are trying to explain. Maybe a video would help? Also, did you ever get the Y axis off max travel yet? If not, that is the first thing I would have done even before powering on if possible. YOu have to take a way cover off then manually screw the ball screw by hand to get the table more centered. This was the Servo motor isnt fighting an instant jam of the table against the max travel. I also like to have a nice buffer zone of travel around all axis if possible especially at first power up of a new machine.

As for the noise. I am curious if it is the same noise my machine had on the x axis. it is called a dither. There is a chance that the table slammed against the end of the ball screw and very slightly knocked something out of alignment. The Siemenes(if you have these) are way too sensitive for any noise(vibration, harmonics) in an axis. I had my drives tuned and that noise went away 100%. Yes my ball screw isnt brand spanking new like it was from the factory, but it sure isnt bad to where it needs to be replaced. Its a 15 year old machine thats in great condition, just the harmonics of the machine has changed. That is maybe all you need is a tuning of the servos. Just some thoughts from issues I have had with my machine.

Hello, i have repaired my self all the ballscrew nuts with new ball and also repaired the toll drum and one of the rear board.
    I bought a bad machine but it's getting new.
    It's now working but stills with the "biiiiiiii" irritating noise when the axis are stopped.
    I made a square and a circle an it was everything ok but when the axis stops in running condition i have this noise.
    I think it's like motor vibration.
    Is it possible to solve this ?
    I also have sometimes the z to over travel upwards.

I had also to repair the spindle drive and one of the rear boards!

It was all repaired by me i'm a aerospace engineer and that was my luck or i would have to pay more for the repairs than for the machine.
    Total cost to repair until now 80 euros

Thanks for your help

This is the info you need to correct your problem.

Axis Drive Compensation Board Settings To Eliminate Motor Resonance (Buzzing)
    For Use on Sabre / Arrow / Lancer VMC’s with Kollmorgen BDS4 Drives
    1) This procedure assumes that an axis drive set up has been performed and that the axes gain and balance is set properly.

2) The drive stability pot should be set to 9 O’clock (12 O’clock for 10 amp drives, (X and Y axis only)).

3) Any resonance (buzzing) is to be removed with the low pass filter switches (Bank 1A - the set of 6 switches in the back of the drive - NOT the bank of 10 switches!). Switches 3 through 6 will be used. The axis that is buzzing can be determined by viewing the axis following error on the control.

4) There are 4 possible settings for the switches.

Switch # 3 4 5 6
    Highest Bandwidth

off off off off
    on off on off
    off on off on

Lowest Bandwidth on on on on

5) The Highest bandwidth is the most desirable. Start with the switches on the highest bandwidth settings and work down the list to the lowest bandwidth setting until the buzzing is resolved.

Excellent info mike!

What is the spindle issue?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk