585,700 active members*
4,133 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Newbie/initial setup; homing correct directions, wont travel past hard limits

Newbie/initial setup; homing correct directions, wont travel past hard limits

I have recently put together a cnc router. Using CNC sPRO v5 controller, and its online software or CNCjs software. I set it up (as per mfr instructions) with the limit switches set up so the back right corner is where it will go zero. Meaning any travel away from that corner is now negative on the classic x/y/z model.

If i try to leave the corner I hit my 4mm travel limits. If I flip any axis, I run into the ends of everything. is this the classic way things are setup? Why can i not leave this corner to the other corner, which would be -1300,-1300?

Re: Newbie/initial setup; homing correct directions, wont travel past hard limits

Let me see if I understand. With the machine homed at the rear right corner the entire table is then in the lower left quadrant of the classic Cartesian coordinate diagram? And Z can only move negative (down) from the home position?

That seems normal to me. I do much of my work in that quadrant because I like to zero on the upper right corner of the part. You only need to make sure that your part setup in CAM setup agrees with your machine.

On the other hand, you should be able to set the work 0,0,0 anywhere on the table and work from there, it really has nothing to do with where the home position is.

Maybe I'm not understanding the problem you are having.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA