584,860 active members*
5,141 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Old Bulleri Router in need of modern control

Old Bulleri Router in need of modern control

Old CNC Bulleri Router in need of modern control

I bought Bulleri Model 644NC3D CNC Wood Router made in 1986 and are not able to get it going. There is no documentation and although it may be in good working order for me it is not good at all. My options are to scrap (3.5T of steel and valuable gear) or replace the control as everything is in good working order.

Can a solid old machine like this one be modernised to the newest technology available?

If “YES!” - who’s controls lead the market and can a non-expert install one?

If professional install is needed what an upgrade like this cost?

Any help is appreciated! Your answer may hold the last life line on a beautiful piece of engineering? Many thanks!

Re: Old Bulleri Router in need of modern control

Here is one: CNC Controls & CNC Kits - MachMotion.com Home

There was a poster in the woodworking CNC router forum on this site who renovated and upgraded a huge CNC that cut aluminum and changed it into a woodworking machine

I researched upgrading servos and controllers for a friends metal working machines and spoke to the maker of the system [not the above system] and the service company that installed them. After talking to them, I was of the opinion that it is best to hire a professional, especially because of calibration issues. The cost of installation was $10,000 per machine, with the systems running $25,000 to $35,000 depending on the type of servos. The service company owner indicated that it generally costs $5,000 to $10,000 to take out an owner's attempted installation and start over.

If you are an engineer or really really clever with things mechanical and lots of talented friends, and deep pockets and a tolerant wife .. go for it!

PS: I built two CNC routers, a small one and a large one.

You could convert it to some modern control systems including the motors and PC. I don't know what size motors you're looking at but mechanically adapting something new to the existing machine shouldn't be too difficult.

I retrofitted an machine using the Mach Motion CNC system. The control, servos, and all of the other items was around $10k. We did the complete conversion in about 1 week. After some set-up tweaking the machine has been running without problems for almost a year. Can you do it yourself? Maybe if you have the time to learn about machine building. I used to design and build automated machines for several companies and still had to scratch my head a few times. I also had to machine some parts ... so keep that in mind also. Hope this helps!
    ROB

Thanks Zool! I did not visit the forum to see your wise words The machine is now converted, but it did cost a lot. Galil controller and new servo drivers from a company in Bulgaria

Thanks again

Thanks slopecarver! Nothing is difficult for the one who know for all others the CNC conversion world if you come from the outside is vast and unknown.

Old CNC etechups.com

Router in need of modern control I bought Bulleri Model 644NC3D CNC Wood Router made in 1986 and are not able to get it .