584,863 active members*
4,933 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Parker SSD Easyrider help?

Parker SSD Easyrider help?

I'm a hobbiest and total newbie to servos, but it looks like I will be getting some SSD 635 servo drives and matched motors. I have had a quick look at the SSD site and found the 635 ref manuals and had a quick look.

It seems that the drives require easyrider software to set them up?

Is this the case, is there an easy way to set them up for step/dir inputs (I will be using emc2).

Can anyone send a copy of the software(or can the drives be configured via serial terminal?), the SSD web site don't seem to have it.

I hope to get the drives middle of the week after next but want to be able to get all the backgound stuff setup beforehand.

Any one give any suggestions about setup of these servos?

What else might I need to get hold of to interface and setup these drives (PC serial/parallel cables, setup software, best type of settings for use with emc2, etc....)

Post found

I just did a search and found this rather interesting post:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...311#post128311

doubly interesting as I think that the servos that I got on Ebay may be the exact same ones in the above post.

So looks like this may be a hard one to solve as may be the previous owner could not get them to work?, I won't know until my brother brings the servos when he visits at easter.

I think I may have cracked it

Looks as though the servos may be salvagable, I hope to actually know for definite this weekend when I get some help in the workshop.

I may make a full post on "how to setup an ssd 635 servo", provided everything goes as planned.

Easyrider config

Just a quick post showing config of the 635 servo drive using easyrider.

I will when i get time show how I managed to fix the drives (thanks to the help of ssd excellent tech support).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv1HUBE5ZGs"]YouTube - ssd easyrider 635 servo motor configuration[/ame]

A long delay due to unforseen problems

Well I have finally got the drives working after initially thinking they were working (as shown in the video), I found some other problems to get it interfaced via the parallel port that required replacement of some components (mostly capacitors) and some firmware programming.

It was all a rather long and complex task (probably 20 hours), that I now cannot be bothered to go into unless someone specifically needs to know.

Basically any further write up would degenerate into a long winded guide to electronic testing, fault finding, guesswork, and soldering practice.

So I will leave this thread now unless its of help to anyone else and they want to know something specific.

I will say that the drives now seem to work very well though there is still a temperature fault shown and I still have not got round to precise testing and calibration. I must say they seem excellent equipment with loads of features that are not available with steppers and I probably will never use (precise torque control, speed control, and position control, and a PLC with fairly easy to use programming language). They cost a packet new, well beyond anything I could afford, but a punt on ebay and a lot of work and luck with testing and I have a 8Nm 3 axis servo system working under emc2.

I have a love hate relationship with ebay as mostly you are bidding to buy someones problems that they want rid of, I generally have a rule of maximum bid of 10% of new price, but even then I find 10% of the time its a bad buy. If the servos were fixed proffesionally I doubt they would be cost effective, but as a hobby project I think these were a winner.

I am newbie at this forum. I search for help about the software SSD easyrider and found you at this forum. So I have a servo 631 buy from ebay. Now, I want to config it to run by software easyrider. But I could not find it. Could you please send me the easyrider software by email ? my email address is: [email protected]

Thanks and With Best Regards!

HIGH CAD

Hello. I got ahold of couple of Eurotherm SSD 635 servo drives+motors. These servo drives take some sort of special rs232 connector to com1 port. The connector I had to make myself for it costs £74!! Really?! Anyhow, now that I made the connector for it, I'm still unable to get easyrider software to establish communication with the drive. Easyrider lists serial port parameters:
    baud rate 19600
    parity even
    start bit 1
    data bits 8
    stop bit 1.
    The confusing part is that windows device manager doesn't have settings for start bit. Could this be the reason it's not working? Or is it the keyspan USB to serial adapter? Please, any help with that is appreciated.
    Thanks

Re: Parker SSD Easyrider help?

The SSD 635 drive acts very weird now. I’m trying to set it up to work with step/dir commands. I use AD 4640 CNC controller to control the Parker SSD 635 as my A-axis. When configured X40 as Pulse+Direction mode and connecting pulse+ and - to pulse and pulse(inverted) respectively, along with Dir+ and - to Dir and Dir(inverted), the motor now starts moving and the speed of the motor is proportional to the number of pulses supplied. The motor doesn’t stop and as more pulses are given the speed increase and the servo drive will fault for over current.
    I’m not sure if I’m not doing something right, or doing something wrong. Anybody else had this situation?