584,858 active members*
4,499 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PCNC 1100 stand fixes/mods?

Hey Guys,

Just pulled my 1100 out of storage. Getting ready to have the stand and trays powder coated. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for modifications I should do to it. I'm tempted to add another drain on the right side.
    Tormach PCNC 1100 Series 3 w/ Rapid Turn, Fusion 360

Re: PCNC 1100 stand fixes/mods?

I think I saw it here. someone put thick spacers on the mounting pads, so they could clean out under the base. Haven't gotten around to that one. I have a lot of missing paint.

I made a bracket and moved the way lube pump out from under the chip tray to make it easier to refill.

Dave

If I had my machine apart, I would do like a few others I know of and order a new m series stand and scrap the old design.
    No easy way to maintain coolant on old series stand without serious mods. Making that part of the mill system maintenance time consuming and a pia.

I bought some machine casters for it when I put it in storage. Those lift it up a good 4".

I didnt realize that the new stand fit the series 3. Hmmm. I just watched the install video. It is a way better design. I wonder how big the coolant tank is. I currently have a home made one that holds 11 gallons if I remember correctly.

A few years back I did the streamliner mod and that helped. I was looking at it yesterday and I think if I add a 6 or 12 inch shower drain (2" pipe) on the right side of the machine which routes through the computer cabinet to the tank, It will recover faster than it use to. Screen will go where the tile is suppose to go.

Dont know exactly how well new m series base fits. I do know 1 person that changed theirs. He reads these forums so I bet he will pm you. Me, I would make it fit

Forgot about the coolant tank. I put it on casters outside the base. Since I moved the machine, I am not planning on using coolant , just makes a mess. I was using it on a couple stainless jobs over a few years, Gone and don't care if they come back. Using an air blast now.

I put a garbage can under the hole. I should probably rig up a chute and put the can on casters.

Since I wasn't using it much, the pump used to freeze up and I had to jump start it with pliers. I had finally took out the screws retaining it and used a couple nails to keep it from spinning, so I could pull it out easier.

Dave

As a guess I'll say the coolant tank is about 8 gallons. That's not based on anything other than a rough estimate from when I first filled mine. I dumped a 5 gallon jug in, then another one. The tank didn't overflow but it was overfilled based on the site glass. Since it wasn't overflowing I figured the excess would eventually dissipate so I didn't bother siphoning any off of it. Turns out I was right cause my enclosure had a few leaks and the T-fitting for the line out from the pump leaked badly so it was only a few parts before the level was where it should be.

According the website, which I missed before, the tank is 12 gallons.

Leaks are always fun. Speaking of. Anyhow know of some good concrete paint that wont react poorly to coolant? I want to paint a small area around the machine.

I've never noticed the tank capacity on the website either. Interesting that it's listed as 12 gallons but the site glass will max out before you get 10 in there.