589,390 active members*
8,010 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Possible to re-use old Servo Motors?

Possible to re-use old Servo Motors?

I just bought an old machine and would like to re-use as much as possible.

Is it possible to use the old servos with new electronics and software (Linux CNC)?

Possible for LinuxCNC to communicate with the existing servo drives?

I just found a small Techno Isel CNC router for $100. But... the software seems to be difficult to find.

How practical would it be to reuse the existing servo drives with LinuxCNC?

Re: Possible to re-use old Servo Motors?

When you say "Old Servo's" what are the details?
    DC Brushed ? AC ?
    DC are generally the easiest to re-use, but brushes and bearings should be checked.\
    If they are fitted with DC tach's these are no longer used and can be disconnected and brushes removed.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    When you say "Old Servo's" what are the details?
    DC Brushed ? AC ?
    DC are generally the easiest to re-use, but brushes and bearings should be checked.\
    If they are fitted with DC tach's these are no longer used and can be disconnected and brushes removed.
    I will have to pull an axis apart and check it out. The machine has everything fully enclosed so I have no idea what servos are in it. The Z will be easiest to check out. I'm going to first try to get the original software (Techno's Kay I believe). But I am hoping for a backup plan in case that fails. My guess is that if I had a PC with the required software, the machine would work perfectly.

LinuxCNC has the capability to run ll sorts of things.It may not be an easy ride getting the result you are hoping for,but advice is out there.Sadly a lot of it is in the form of techno-gibberish.If you can cope with that,you may well succeed.

Send us info on what you have and we can make some recommendations:
    https://cnc4pc.com/contact

Arturo Duncan
    https://cnc4pc.com

There's a company that works on old Techno-Isel CNC machines; they might be worth asking about this: https://www.acsindustrial.com/cnc-re...chno-isel.html
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Hi,
    weigh the cost (analogue capable controller) and complexity (setting up and tuning PID control loops) with the cost of replacing the servos with modern AC servos and matching drives and then using any one of a number of Step/Direction controllers.

AC servos and matching drives are costing less and less, not that I particularly recommend the cheapest Chinese AC servos, not because they don't work, but the documentation is poor and no set-up and tuning software.
    I use Delta B2 servos, good quality, support, documentation and most importantly free set-up and tuning software at fair prices. I have bought ten 750W B2's and four 400W B2's over the last four years.

https://www.fasttobuy.com/flange-80m...er_p28084.html

Quite frankly these modern servos are just that much better to set-up and use.

Craig