584,862 active members*
5,363 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PP 2.1.6 problems

Has anyone else noticed malfunctions with PP V2.1.6?

I had a problem on bootup, it didnt load all the files or something, keyboard didnt work, neither did the jog controller, this has happened once.

In the Boss probing routine, it starts out OK then makes a sudden move in Y- instead of Y+ , then it moves in a rapid move across the top of the part and does not trip the probe. Restarting the boss routine it works as it should the second time. This has happened twice, the first time it is used after bootup this occurs, using the same routine the second time it works as it should.

I am wondering if anyone other than me has had problems similar to these with their PP v2.1.6 install? This could be something I have not done correctly as well, any input welcome.

V2.1.5 worked fine.
    mike sr

Re: PP 2.1.6 problems

When keyboard/job doesn't work, that sounds like a USB problem with the computer/controller. I don't think that depends on the software version itself.

For "bad moves" when probing, I've found that the probe routine may move Y rapidly into the part in the "find rectangular part" routine after probing the fourth side, if I start probing the first (left) side at below the midpoint. I e, if the part goes from (-1,-1) to (+1, +1) and I start with the probe at (-1.5, -0.5) then the probe will move "through the part" after probing the -Y side. If I start with the probe at (-1.5, +0.5) then the routine completes correctly.

Thanks for your reply.

The probing routine was on a piece of 2" round stock, I started at X about .5 left of the part at Y centered of the part, the whole routine was not correct, the setup was correct. Once the routine started it wasnt correct, it was making small moves in Y, then it made a long move in X the made a rapid move in Y toward the part and didnt trip the probe and stop like it normally does, I was lucky to be at the very top of the part and there was enough overtravel in the probe to not damage it or break the tip.

I ran the routine again from the same starting point and it worked fine. This has happened on the same routine twice always on the first time it was used after a bootup,

The usb problem has only happened once, maybe the computer or a part of it is going south??

I tried a bug report and it doesnt seem to be working correctly as I couldnt get it to go thru, kept asking for more info when all the fields were filled in.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I tried a bug report and it doesnt seem to be working correctly as I couldnt get it to go thru, kept asking for more info when all the fields were filled in.
    Hi Mike
    I can't help you with the probe issue but to file a bug report you have to enter values into all fields even though they already appear to be set. For example the Pathpilot Version field has 2.1.6 preset (on my phone it appears without the 'v') but this is only a dummy text. You need to pull down the list and reenter the value.
    Step

Thanks Step

I may not have done that on all fields as they were already there. The probing problem may have been there in the older version as I mainly use the probe in a hole or the opposite of what I was doing when it malfunctioned. I never indicated a boss in 2.1.5.

At least I know what it does and I can stop it if it doesnt look right and restart, as the second time it works as it should.
    mike sr

Hey Mike,

Do you have an ATC. There was a boss probing issue early on with PP2. I cant remember all the details, but we were able to determine that it only happened on ATC machines. I thought they had fixed it though.
    Tormach PCNC 1100 Series 3 w/ Rapid Turn, Fusion 360

No I dont have an ATC, I do have the power drawbar.

I normally dont use the boss routine so it may have been a problem before I dont know, everything else works fine, I will keep an eye on it, and probe a boss close to the top of the part so that if it makes an uncalled for move it wont break the stylus as there is enough overtravel in the probe.

I had a problem awhile back trying to indicate too small a boss but I knew about that one and it didnt make a sudden uncalled for move.

PP as far as machining, I have never had a problem with any of the updates from the beginning.
    I was just curious if anyone else had had a problem or a fix for it??

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sharmstr View Post
    Hey Mike,

Do you have an ATC. There was a boss probing issue early on with PP2. I cant remember all the details, but we were able to determine that it only happened on ATC machines. I thought they had fixed it though.
    mike sr