586,009 active members*
5,088 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PT-22 Plasma Table Issue - Please Advise

To whom it may concern,

We have the Miller Spectrum 625 X-TREME and XT40 torch which are operated by a Baileigh Plasma Table PT-22. We construct tool paths for the PT-22 using 'ucancam' software which has worked on other PT-22 plasma tables.

Our current problem however, is that the torch does not form an arc through certain areas, even though it should according to the programmed tool path, and tool path simulation.

In the link below, a program was previously run to cut the figure visible at the beginning. The same exact program was run again in the video, and the torch did not form an arc in the bottom right corner in the same exact location as the previous run. (However the tool path and tool path simulation were such that it should have cut).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4x...JRSGNkTnM/view

Would anyone have any suggestions as to how we could resolve this issue? Please ask us if you require any more information to develop a solution. Thanks in advance for any support!

Regards,
    Siddharth Shrivastava
    Engineering Student

Re: PT-22 Plasma Table Issue - Please Advise

Hi Sid
    I have the same table got it used without software in Feb 2017 took a while to learn (first timer) I ordered UCANCAM and hated it !!! I later got UCANNEST (same company)
    I am using a MILLER SPECTRUM 2050 with aftermarket machine torch that I love !!! and it cuts pretty/very good depending, there is no Z axis on that machine
    and it doesn't cut as well as it could ; - ( I made a few parts with good results, then I BLEW THE CONTROLLER BOARD TO SMITHEREENS !!! when I attached an older style plasma cutter with HF start.............
    the controller was gone but the motor drivers and motors were fine..........so instead of replacing the chinese controller I bought a WARP 9 ESS board that uses MACH 3 or 4 software, I am almost done the changeover,
    I have to say that the that so far the support has been AMAZING both with the WARP 9 and MACH 3 people, but the MACH 3 still needs a cad cam program, and even though UCANNEST is better then
    UCANCAM It still crashes from time to time, and randomly requires a reboot to make it work, I am trying various cad/cam programs without any huge success because they also cater to milling, lathe, etc
    they have waaaaaaaaaay too many unnecessary buttons and widgets, I also have tried INKSCAPE and that seemed pretty good,.
    Ralph

Re: PT-22 Plasma Table Issue - Please Advise

I am trying various cad/cam programs without any huge success because they also cater to milling, lathe, etc
    Have a look at SheetCAM TNG. It's optimized for 2D/2.5D cutting and has POSTS for MACH3. It will directly import an SVG file that is the native file format of Inkscape. It does not auto nest but it will do manual nesting. Pretty easy to learn and its nicely supported and still being worked on. Runs in Windows or LINUX. The POST language is open and documented and there are hundreds of POST examples in the defautl download. Demo is fully operational but will only put it small 150 line or less G-code files. There are online videos and tutorials.