584,817 active members*
4,899 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Milling > Putting urethane pads under leveling feet (mini mill 2)

Putting urethane pads under leveling feet (mini mill 2)

We are going to be moving our new Mini Mill 2 into place this weekend. Dad wants to put 3/4" urethane pads under 1" thick 12x12 steel plates under all 4 feet.

It's our first cnc machine, and this is something I've not heard of before. We will have a 2004 tm1 next to it running second ops, he thought it would help damped vibrations in the slab.

Do the machines want to "dance" if set up this way?

Good idea? Terrible idea? Meh?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Re: Putting urethane pads under leveling feet (mini mill 2)

I have placed thick 1" thick soft rubber tiles in whole my workshop to dampen noise and prevent damage when I drop some thing (end mill). The tables for the mill and 2 lathes are placed on these rubber tiles. The tables are also fixed to the wall by using a thick rubber fixture. I haven't noticed any change on the mill or mini (0.5 kW 60kg) lathe. The small lathe (1.5 kW 260kg) is noticeably more resonating when turning unbalanced workpieces using the 4 claw chuck. This has however no influence on the parts turned. It works for me, so give it a try.

They make vibration dampening pads specifically for heavy machinery, and I've seen these under equipment such as mills and lathes. I think it can be helpful for isolating low frequency vibrations. I would be pretty careful about centering the feet on the steel plates. It looks like polyurethane is available in a pretty broad range of durometers, and I think like a 60-70A would be as soft as I would be willing to go. I think the softer durometers will absorb more low frequency vibration, but they're also not as durable. It looks like a Mini Mill 2 (~6000 lbs loaded) on 4 x 12in x 12in plates will put down about 10-12 PSI if it's all centered nicely, and something like Sorbethane 70(00) would seem to perform well at that kind of compressive stress.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by SirAIG View Post
    We are going to be moving our new Mini Mill 2 into place this weekend. Dad wants to put 3/4" urethane pads under 1" thick 12x12 steel plates under all 4 feet.

It's our first cnc machine, and this is something I've not heard of before. We will have a 2004 tm1 next to it running second ops, he thought it would help damped vibrations in the slab.

Do the machines want to "dance" if set up this way?

Good idea? Terrible idea? Meh?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Concrete will absorb most vibrations that you will get from either of these 2 machines

I don't believe it would be a good idea I had a CNC Bridgeport on urethane pads and it would move around quite a bit so removed them and used steel in there place much better machine stability

I don't think Haas would approve of you doing that but it is your machine you can do what ever you like with it

I think machine leveling will be the biggest problem as the urethane will move, machine leveling will affect the quality of the cut parts and the wear on your machine

Quality machine installs level the machine after a settling period they relevel and grout around the machine base
    Mactec54

I wouldn't do the urethane , I'd go with the 12" plates though . They'll help keep the machine level longer if the concrete isn't thick . The mini's aren't overly heavy but keeping them level on light concrete can be a pita especially when changing from season to season
    I honestly don't think vibration will be a problem