559,951 active members*
2,399 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

QueenBee Pro Build - experience and thoughts

So I built my machine about 8-9 months ago and have put a few hundred hours on it at this point and wanted to share my experience and thoughts on the machine, the parts I picked up, in hopes that it will be helpful to someone. I'm actually in process of selling this machine to upgrade to another.

Machine details:
    - 1515 / 1500mm x 1500mm (i.e. 4ft x 4ft or actually 48.25" x 50.25" working space)
    - QueenBee Pro mechanical kit from Bulkman 3D
    - 1.5kW 110V ER16 24K spindle from G-Penny (i.e. BEST Technology CO)
    - 4x Rtelligent 3Nm Nema 24 60A3ED Closed Loop Motors with T60 drivers
    - 48V power supply for motors
    - Masso G3 controller
    - routed 4" dust hose
    - sound proof enclosure using mineral wool sound proof insulation and 2x4 with drywall construction

Thoughts on Performance:
    - at 1500mm long, the gantry is not nearly stiff enough and should really use at least 50x100 extrusions or bigger, as opposed to the 40x80 they use
    - I have to limit the speed and force on the spindle, otherwise the gantry twists. cutting at 4000mm/min (about 150 IPS) and 3/16 depth of cut with a 1/4 end mill produces pretty decent results
    - Y axis works just fine with 4080 and I didn't notice any issues
    - 8mm lead screw is: a) too thin and whips around too much, and b) is wearing out the Delrin nuts pretty quickly
    - have to limit rapids on the machine to 5000 mm/min (about 200 IPS) to limit screw whip
    - the 3Nm motors are crazy powerful and can probably push the machine to double the speeds I have it at now
    - spindle has been great, no complaints. plenty powerful enough
    - controller is great - I love not having to have the computer nearby and have had 0 issues with it

Support received:
    - Bulkman 3D has been good in providing support, though I didn't need much from them
    - G-Penny / BEST Tech has been good but very slow (I recently had a vibration issue when going above 18K RPM and it took a few weeks of chasing to get updated VFD settings to resolve)

Lessons learned:
    - I bought the Nema 24 motors for their low 1.8 mH rating... should have stuck with Nema 23 as I had to manufacture the adapter plates and adapt the design a bit
    - closed loop hybrid steppers are absolutely fantastic - I can easily stop the motion with my hand when in open loop, when in closed loop the steppers just move my hand out of the way no matter what
    - 8mm lead screw is too thin and not accurate. Highly recommend you consider the "QueenAnt Pro" machine or upgrade from Yuyong Industry, though I don't have any experience with it
    - replace the X axis extrusion with a much stiffer one if you're going for 1500mm long span
    - soundproofed enclosure goes a LONG way... highly recommend

I use my machine mainly in plywood and hardwood - works great. I was debating the QueenAnt Pro upgrade along with some way to stiffen the X axis extrusion, but decided that purchasing a reliable welded steel machine with ATC and vacuum table already built in is going to save me more time in the long run.
    I would still recommend this machine, especially when knowing it's limitations and being able to work with them. I still use it on a regular basis and will continue to do so until I sell it for the upgrade.

Let me know your thoughts on my build, what would you have done differently?
    And if you have any questions, please let me know - happy to help.

Build photos:
    Attachment 474862
    Attachment 474864
    Attachment 474866
    Attachment 474876
    Attachment 474868
    Attachment 474878
    Attachment 474880
    Attachment 474882

Re: QueenBee Pro Build - experience and thoughts

Wow! I love how you repurposed that PC case. That is very clever. The only thing I would change would be simplifying the dust collection line. I think suspending the hose from the ceiling with a bungie cord would have shortened the hose considerably.

Regards,

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rickey_H View Post
    Wow! I love how you repurposed that PC case. That is very clever. The only thing I would change would be simplifying the dust collection line. I think suspending the hose from the ceiling with a bungie cord would have shortened the hose considerably.

Regards,

Rick
    In my case I was constrained by the enclosure in order to keep the noise as low as possible, so this was a compromise. And for what it's worth, using 4" straight pipe is far more efficient than flexible hose, so I'm not sure what would have resulted in better airflow in the end.

I did upgrade and did the exact same dust collection setup again and I'm not having any issues with it.

I'm actually down to 62-64dB on my second go around so I'm quite happy. And the dust collection is working just fine.