585,700 active members*
3,673 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Seeking advice from small business owners that operate laser cutters

Seeking advice from small business owners that operate laser cutters

Hi Folks. I have begun to do research about starting a small business that would be centered around laser cutting. I have a degree in mechanical engineering and my professional experience has mostly revolved around manufacturing and design.My plan is to offer laser cutting and engineering design as services. I think I can figure out the "making of parts" part of the business. Where I am lacking is on the business side of things. I am trying to determine what size of laser I would need to buy. I am currently looking at a machine from Full Spectrum Laser with a 48"x36" bed and either a 120 or 150 watt tube. Is that too big or too powerful? I know it all depends on what the jobs are...but I guess thats what I am trying to figure out. For you folks with businesses centered around these machines, what kind of stuff do you make? What machines do you run? How do you market your business? I realize there are hundreds of answers to these questions and no "right" answer...I'm just looking for general advice and ideas.

Re: Seeking advice from small business owners that operate laser cutters

If you can manage to maintain it yourself that would be your edge on others, most laser services here on our area closes down once the machine starts to give problems, hiring a tech to repair your own unit is so costly and will end up not profitable on your side.

Hi Coleyong,

i had read all news you mention here i find what you are looking for is our LC1390 laser cutting machines,

belwo is tis photos, pelase check /

Attachment 368160Attachment 368162Attachment 368164Attachment 368166Attachment 368168

for more news can you conatct me for our LC1390 laser cutter ?

QUiven from gweike laser
    [email protected]
    skype; wkquiven
    ;

Quote Originally Posted by coleyoung View Post
    Hi Folks. I have begun to do research about starting a small business that would be centered around laser cutting. I have a degree in mechanical engineering and my professional experience has mostly revolved around manufacturing and design.My plan is to offer laser cutting and engineering design as services. I think I can figure out the "making of parts" part of the business. Where I am lacking is on the business side of things. I am trying to determine what size of laser I would need to buy. I am currently looking at a machine from Full Spectrum Laser with a 48"x36" bed and either a 120 or 150 watt tube. Is that too big or too powerful? I know it all depends on what the jobs are...but I guess thats what I am trying to figure out. For you folks with businesses centered around these machines, what kind of stuff do you make? What machines do you run? How do you market your business? I realize there are hundreds of answers to these questions and no "right" answer...I'm just looking for general advice and ideas.

FYI If you do not have a idea of what to make or how to sell why purchase such an expensive machine? Yes anything over 80 watts or so will not be the best for engraving. If your just going to cut wood or whatever a bigger wattage machine would be the answer. FSL is still a Chinese machine and they are slow for engraving, but start out with a 60 - 80 watt machine. I purchased a smaller footprint 40 watt machine from LightObject out in California good people and they stand behind what they sell.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Hi wmgeorge. Just trying to get a feel for where to start out. I've been told that, for the most part, anything much above 80 or 90 watts just increases your speed, not so much your cut thickness. I probably don't need to go with such a high power tube.

I am thinking I will offer custom engraving and sign making. The sign making is what makes me think I might want a larger machine.

I'll have a look at lighobject. I'm also interested in bosslaser.

Since most Chinese machines use stepper motors for motion control more power does not mean you can run faster. You will gain speed with servo motor motion control and high wattage as the Trotec machines, very pricey however.

For cutting yes you want more power, speed is not a big factor.

Engraving, the larger dot size on the higher wattage tubes works against good detail in the engraving.

So if you just want a good all around machine a Chinese 60 to 80 watts would be fine. Larger bed size, its up to you as some machines do not come apart and getting in your door will be an issue. I would stick with LightObject, Rabbit Laser USA, and I think Boss does a good job. Do not purchase off eBay, so many stories online of the bad things.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

For signs a CNC router maybe a better choice

Quote Originally Posted by fixtureman1 View Post
    For signs a CNC router maybe a better choice
    Yep if the OP`s purpose is just for cutting then I guess a 4ft.X 2ft. chinese CNC router is far more efficient than buying a high watt Laser machine, it can last almost a lifetime with almost no consumables, for plastics and wood, he can use even a small concrete nail to cut or engrave those materials, just paint it with black then wipe it with thinner to have a laser effect on it. unlike the laser machine when the tube is exhausted no more happy hours, the router can do anything you want, imitating the laser work with a CNC router is a breeze, but imitating a CNC metal works is impossible by just using a CO2 laser machine. the router can do it all with speed and efficiency, one thing it cannot do is the black mark, but if you paint it black afterwards they have the same effect on my opinion.

There is not a lot of money in being a job shop unless you land some big customers and then a single laser is probably not going to be enough. It's better to design a unique product and then manufacture it yourself. Take a close look at what is already on offer in your area. A lot of hobby users sell stuff on Etsy etc. You can't compete with them on price. Sounds to me like you just want a laser and hope you can build a business around it. Better to do some more market research and put together a proper business plan.

Hi wmgeorge. Just trying to get a feel for where to start out. I've been told that, for the most part, anything much above 80 or 90 watts just increases your speed, not so much your cut thickness. I probably don't need to go with such a high power tube.
    I am thinking I will offer custom engraving and sign making. The sign making is what makes me think I might want a larger machine.
    I'll have a look at lighobject. I'm also interested in bosslaser.
    Don`t let get fooled. Read how many bad opinions is all around LightObjects
    CNC lasers, constructions, service