585,778 active members*
4,454 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Selling my Tormach 1100 s3, Portland Or.
Page 1 of 2 12

Selling my Tormach 1100 s3, Portland Or.

A life change is letting me upgrade my Tormach to a Haas VF2 quicker than I had anticipated. The short is MSFT shut down our factory and everyone got laid off. So in my downtime looking for a new full time position I'm able to build up my side business. Of course that means the Tormach goes to make way for my first VMC.

Here's the link to my post on craigslist.https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/tls/6229755471.html

Id prefer to find someone in the NW that just needs help loading on a trailer rather than figuring out how to ship it out. In the meantime, I'll probably be cutting parts on it daily to front load my products. If someone wanted to see it in action I'm home working most days now. I can also get videos of chips flying and examples of what I like in my tooling and feeds and speeds.

Re: Selling my Tormach 1100 s3, Portland Or.

I'm a bit surprised I haven't had any interest so far. Of course Im sure everyone here already has a machine but thought maybe there were lurkers out there. Anyone have thoughts on other places to advertise?

Craigslist maybe?

I do have it on Craigslist but maybe I need to be open to shipping. Though that does seem pretty difficult considering the weight I guess companies do it with freight on CNCs all the time. Perhaps my next avenue is ebay.

Why don't you keep it and continue using it for prototyping and as a second operation machine?

I have an 1100 Series II in my garage and I am also looking to upgrade to a Haas, but I am looking at the DM2.

But, before I can do anything like that I have to get out of my garage and into a shop.

I don't use my machine for outside work any more, I manufacture a like of running gear for remote control gas powered boats and trucks.

One of my sons has been trying to get me to make some parts for BMX bicycles, but I just don't want the liability if someone gets hurt.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

I really wish I could keep the Tormach also, I feel really at home controlling it and confident in what it and I can do now. Unfortunately with the race car that I design parts for I just don't have the room for both. Turns out cars torn apart take up exponentially more room than a medium sized CNC

[

How much did your new haas set you back if you don't mind me asking

QUOTE=Dallas J;2074052]I really wish I could keep the Tormach also, I feel really at home controlling it and confident in what it and I can do now. Unfortunately with the race car that I design parts for I just don't have the room for both. Turns out cars torn apart take up exponentially more room than a medium sized CNC [/QUOTE]

Hi there,
    Probably seem like a strange question but what Voltage in your 1100 Series 3?

And are there any ancillaries that are a different Voltage?

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    [

How much did your new haas set you back if you don't mind me asking
    My budget is 60k, so 55k for the machine and delivery. Nothing different than the pricing online but including about 3k in shipping and rigging. Also need to get the phase converter which will cost 5.5k for the 20hp Phase perfect. I really wanted to make the 10hp work but feel like it just wont have the overhead needed. Will need to sell a few more things to build up some reserve cash on the tormach in the meantime but Im expecting around $1000/mo payment.

Quote Originally Posted by Warmingup View Post
    Hi there,
    Probably seem like a strange question but what Voltage in your 1100 Series 3?

And are there any ancillaries that are a different Voltage?
    The 1100 needs both 220v and 110v. 220v runs the spindle and stepper electronics (I think on the latter) and 110 for PC and accessories. 220 needs is pretty low and most houses should be capable of it. My house has 200amp service though so I have enough overhead to add a 70amp 220 circuit in lieu of my current 20amp.

Instead of a VF2 have you considered a TM2P? It's about $26,000 less than a VF2 AND it will run on single phase power. Granted the TM2P it only 7.5 horsepower with a 6,000 RPM spindle, but if you upgrade with rigid tapping, P-Cool and the 20 station tool changer, you're still right around $45,000.00.

I had a TM1 in my shop and if I had known then what I know now I would have taken some of the money I got when I sold the shop, paid off my Haas and brought it home.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Tormach but the Haas is a way better machine.

I will be coming into some serious money in January or February and my plan is to set up what I will call a really cool hobby shop.

See if there are any local maker spaces, often they are looking for them or know someone who is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas J View Post
    I really wish I could keep the Tormach also, I feel really at home controlling it and confident in what it and I can do now. Unfortunately with the race car that I design parts for I just don't have the room for both. Turns out cars torn apart take up exponentially more room than a medium sized CNC
    Yes a disassembled car takes up at least two bays. What race car are you building/rebuilding? I saw some of your parts on the craigslist add, nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Instead of a VF2 have you considered a TM2P? It's about $26,000 less than a VF2 AND it will run on single phase power. Granted the TM2P it only 7.5 horsepower with a 6,000 RPM spindle, but if you upgrade with rigid tapping, P-Cool and the 20 station tool changer, you're still right around $45,000.00.

I had a TM1 in my shop and if I had known then what I know now I would have taken some of the money I got when I sold the shop, paid off my Haas and brought it home.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Tormach but the Haas is a way better machine.

I will be coming into some serious money in January or February and my plan is to set up what I will call a really cool hobby shop.
    The 6000 rpm spindle feels a bit limiting on the TM1 and the 16" of Y-travel is really needed in my case. 12" Wouldn't let me do uprights with the long dimension in the Y-axis and would reduce number I can nest on the table. I did think about a DT-1 and SMM2 also but the DT-1 doesn't have enough table weight capacity and SMM2 doesn't have enough Z height to bore the ends holes. Overall thought it seem the VF2 is like Haas's bread and butter so should do well for me for a long time. Will definitely be a bit more universal for my growing side business and less dedicated to one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by IMT View Post
    Yes a disassembled car takes up at least two bays. What race car are you building/rebuilding? I saw some of your parts on the craigslist add, nice work.
    I'm making parts for Mitsubishi Evos, mostly suspension components. Right now its in the process of recovering from a massive engine failure. Wife was actually driving when we snapped a crank and it took out the block, clutch, trans, smacked head but was recoverable, and all the ancillaries that have to be replaced due to contaminated oil. New motor and taller gears should keep us off the rev limiter and be more "bullet proof" than the old built motor. Have the new motor 90% assembled in the garage but waiting on a stupid thing I forgot before dropping back in. Trans should be back from builder monday so will be up and running next week

Here the car at the even before we blew up.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTSt5CJA...-by=ssb_design

Decent price IMHO
    Not building race cars but my current toy hauling trailer project has wiped out my garage for 2 months. One of the reasons for this trailer build is I want to be able to buy and pickup a used or new tormach or other new - used machine tools or cnc equipment. Also pick up material and haul toys around.

Attachment 368902

Tormach in the background lots of rattle can paint in that picture lol

Also it will be used as a 1 ton cap. 4x8 work bench that I can move in and out of my garage bays

Good to know. Most folks seem to upgrade to the vf2.

My budget is 60k, so 55k for the machine and delivery. Nothing different than the pricing online but including about 3k in shipping and rigging. Also need to get the phase converter which will cost 5.5k for the 20hp Phase perfect. I really wanted to make the 10hp work but feel like it just wont have the overhead needed. Will need to sell a few more things to build up some reserve cash on the tormach in the meantime but Im expecting around $1000/mo payment.

The 1100 needs both 220v and 110v. 220v runs the spindle and stepper electronics (I think on the latter) and 110 for PC and accessories. 220 needs is pretty low and most houses should be capable of it. My house has 200amp service though so I have enough overhead to add a 70amp 220 circuit in lieu of my current 20amp.

I'm making parts for Mitsubishi Evos, mostly suspension components. Right now its in the process of recovering from a massive engine failure. Wife was actually driving when we snapped a crank and it took out the block, clutch, trans, smacked head but was recoverable, and all the ancillaries that have to be replaced due to contaminated oil. New motor and taller gears should keep us off the rev limiter and be more "bullet proof" than the old built motor. Have the new motor 90% assembled in the garage but waiting on a stupid thing I forgot before dropping back in. Trans should be back from builder monday so will be up and running next week
    Looks like fun. I see the SCCA sticker on the front, do you race wheel to wheel, timetrials or autoX?
    I'm building a Factory Five 818R for road racing (NASA ST2 and WERC E0 or ES). Run out of room fast on the 1100, both Y and Z, on car parts so the move to a VF2 makes sense. What options did you get?

Looks like fun. I see the SCCA sticker on the front, do you race wheel to wheel, timetrials or autoX?
    I'm building a Factory Five 818R for road racing (NASA ST2 and WERC E0 or ES). Run out of room fast on the 1100, both Y and Z, on car parts so the move to a VF2 makes sense. What options did you get?
    I mostly AutoX and a few track days here and there. Wheel to wheel just isnt my thing, dont have the guff to risk my car with someone else hitting me when trying to push things. So Im mostly happy with just designing and building things and seeing how they really effect the car. I remember watching the 818 a bunch when they were announcing it, seems like a pretty rad build. A ton of work for sure building one.

I didnt really get any options other than WIPS. We looked at all the things available and the only thing I cant add later are things Im ok with or just cant have now. Side mount changer would be cool, but it wouldn't fit through my garage door and in my case is just a nice to have. The cost for a higher speed spindle would pretty much just push me to a VF2SS but thats pushing the budget for something that wont make me more money. Being able to probe though seemed like one of those things that would really make a difference.

...So Im mostly happy with just designing and building things and seeing how they really effect the car. I remember watching the 818 a bunch when they were announcing it, seems like a pretty rad build. A ton of work for sure building one.
    I'm really looking forward to dialing the car in when it's done. My build has turned into 2 tons of work since I'm doing alot of things different than Factory Five's plan. Design and built my own front suspension, dry sump oil system, etc...

... Being able to probe though seemed like one of those things that would really make a difference.
    For me a probe is a must have. Setups are so much faster. But at the price Haas charges I can see making due with a Hiemer for a while.

Dallas J, you just need a bigger shop Sounds like a fun project.

I'm really looking forward to dialing the car in when it's done. My build has turned into 2 tons of work since I'm doing alot of things different than Factory Five's plan. Design and built my own front suspension, dry sump oil system, etc...

For me a probe is a must have. Setups are so much faster. But at the price Haas charges I can see making due with a Hiemer for a while.
    I was going to mention the front suspension but figured it wasn't a warranted comment. Glad to see you're redesigning what FF did. It would be my one major gripe about the car having seen one in person. Nothing wrong with building it and getting it done though, then working to improve . I'm a whore for suspension, its pretty much all my side business is working on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Dallas J, you just need a bigger shop Sounds like a fun project.
    Ugh, don't I know it. Almost got a new place with a 30x50 shop that would have been perfect but it fell through . But I'm sure everyone here is in that same boat of needing more and more space.

Page 1 of 2 12