585,692 active members*
4,579 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How did you convert

your vertical mill to cnc? I have a Miro Mark vertical mill I want to convert to CNC.

I'm having some metal machined out to convert my vertical mill to cnc, I will post them ASAP. I will be driving it with 5a drivers drom Camtronics. Got my conversion ideas from here http://plsntcov.8m.com/grizzley.html

I take it, youre converting with steppers?
    Theres really no need for servos, as its kind of scary watching a 1000+ pound machine do 60 IPM rapids, much less a little 165 pounder like the mini mills!
    I found that 305oz-in hybrid steppers are plenty powerful enough to power it. But then again, Ive used ballscrews on all of mine,so power from motor to the drive is substanciallly more efficient than if I were to use the stock leadscrews.

I several Grizzly mini mills that I converted with ballscrews.
    You're going to love it.Its great to wtch the little buggers machine a part almost completely unattended!

The little machines are pretty sturdy for their size and weight.
    And you'll probably need to beef up the column if you plan on machining anything harder than Alum. just to be safe.

I am in the process of converting another one for my son, who has this obcession with making waterblocks for his many watercooled PC's.

The convertion is a bit more complicated than the others, because I am using much larger, factory preloaded ballscrews this time, and some major mods have to be made to the saddle to accomodate for the larger ballnut under the table.

I should be done in a couple of weeks, and will gladly post some pics and maybe even some plans for someone else to convert theirs.

I went the "cheapo" route and machined all of my parts for convertion with the little mill itself......if it wasnt so fun to create these things I would have had someone else machine them for me,because they were a PITA to mill.

Good luck with your conversion.
    And keep us updated on you progress.

John

Very cool can wait to see how you did it.

I using NEMA 34 stepper motor with a Camtronics 5A driver. I want to convert the counter balance with the one from littlemachineshop.

I milled the steel plate with the (non CNC) vertical mill, it sure has enough power to cut 1/2" at a time.