584,802 active members*
4,981 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HT400 interupted cutting

We have a Hyperrtherm HT400 power source on a MG table with a Burny 5 controller using shop air for cutting. Nesting software is Hypertherm Pro-nest.

The system will cut and then stop cutting for +-3 in, this happens in both directions in various positions on the table The "GO" button goes out when it happens, By pressing "GO" it fires up and will cutting again. It starts immediately and will run fine for +- 12-48" before it happens again. It almost look like a bad control wire that looses contact ?

Can it be a bad torch that effects feedback signal ?

Any advise will help.

Thanks.

Re: HT400 interupted cutting

Quote Originally Posted by leoag View Post
    We have a Hyperrtherm HT400 power source on a MG table with a Burny 5 controller using shop air for cutting. Nesting software is Hypertherm Pro-nest.

The system will cut and then stop cutting for +-3 in, this happens in both directions in various positions on the table The "GO" button goes out when it happens, By pressing "GO" it fires up and will cutting again. It starts immediately and will run fine for +- 12-48" before it happens again. It almost look like a bad control wire that looses contact ?

Can it be a bad torch that effects feedback signal ?

Any advise will help.

Thanks.
    Hi Leoag,

Did you ever solve the issue? I am experiencing the same exact symptoms as you are describing!

Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by cowhead View Post
    Hi Leoag,

Did you ever solve the issue? I am experiencing the same exact symptoms as you are describing!

Best regards
    Hello,

Did not find the problem but I learned that it has to do with cutting amps ! The lower the cutting amps the worse it gets ! Believe it has something to do with the signal feedback from the cutting head ? Still want to try a new head ! Did you try a new cutting head ? Keep in touch. These old things are very finicky ! Can call me at 608- 931 8502

Thanks

I don't know your machines but do they have ohmic sensing? My neighbour has had a lot of problems with his new 200 amp Hypertherm machine that was finally diagnosed as being RFI being picked upon the Ohmic sensing wire which was acting as one great big antenna. It was a lot worse on mild steel due to greater conductivity than the aluminium he usually cut.

If thats the likely source, I'll dig out some possible solutions.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
    I don't know your machines but do they have ohmic sensing? My neighbour has had a lot of problems with his new 200 amp Hypertherm machine that was finally diagnosed as being RFI being picked upon the Ohmic sensing wire which was acting as one great big antenna. It was a lot worse on mild steel due to greater conductivity than the aluminium he usually cut.

If thats the likely source, I'll dig out some possible solutions.
    Thanks for your input ! Yes it is using ommic sensing. When it stop cutting....we revert back to last pierce and recut the same part ....then it works fine ! Some days it cuts good !

Will a welding machine cause RFI signals ?

Thanks,

Nico

Quote Originally Posted by leoag View Post
    Thanks for your input ! Yes it is using ommic sensing. When it stop cutting....we revert back to last pierce and recut the same part ....then it works fine ! Some days it cuts good !

Will a welding machine cause RFI signals ?

Thanks,

Nico
    The plasma cutter itself will be a big source of RFI or EMI particularly with HF start which I'm sure you have. What was happening to Adam was the spurious noise was triggering the probe signal during a cut and this is treated as an error. (probing while cutting is not allowed). I guess it thinks the torch has hit the surface.
    So the manufacturer was coiling up the Ohmic wires and perhaps some ferrite beads may help.

But my HF expert reckons fitting this where the wire enters the control box would fix it (it needs bare metal contact)
    https://au.element14.com/tusonix/249...OPPING-1186422

With our ohmic circuits, we isolate both sides of the circuit with opto isolated relays which are only triggered when we are actually probing so there is no connection between the antenna and the control circuitry. See how you go with the capacitor and report back. Its cheap enough.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au