584,846 active members*
4,085 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Milling > Help whats wrong with my spindle?

Help whats wrong with my spindle?

Turn your volume down.!!!

https://youtu.be/XN26uIw9e5M

CAMaster cnc
    It was working fine. then it just started making bad noises.
    why does the cap spin?

Its an HSD mt1090 spindle
    Whats a good drop in replacement? if i can't get a new one.

Thanks
    Last edited by marauder; 11-09-2019 at 04:21 AM.

Re: Help whats wrong with my spindle?

My guess is that you have a bad bearing in your spindle. The cap spins due to resonance.

Don't run it with a noisy/worn bearing, you could cause more damage Looks like a nice motor worth repairs

Quote Originally Posted by marauder View Post
    Turn your volume down.!!!

https://youtu.be/XN26uIw9e5M

CAMaster cnc
    It was working fine. then it just started making bad noises.
    why does the cap spin?

Its an HSD mt1090 spindle
    Whats a good drop in replacement? if i can't get a new one.

Thanks
    Did you crash it ???

It does sound like a Bearing problem HSD mt1090 is an expensive spindle to replace, take the tool and collet nut off and do another test run, this will eliminate the Tool Collet and Nut as being a balance problem

Bearings are not hard to replace, but you do need the right tools to do this, Balance is important with any of these high speed spindles, so no rotating parts can be damaged

Remove the top cover and see if the fan is loose or filled with junk, this can cause a out of balance also and a noise like this
    Mactec54

No I haven't crashed it (lately). I stopped running it as soon as I noticed it making weird sounds. My machine manufacturer told me to make a quick video of it, So they could diagnose the problem. Sorry boss, time to spend some $$$. Maybe ill try to repair it for the home shop. err I mean on the shelf backup at work.

No I haven't crashed it (lately). I stopped running it as soon as I noticed it making weird sounds. My machine manufacturer told me to make a quick video of it, So they could diagnose the problem. Sorry boss, time to spend some $$$. Maybe ill try to repair it for the home shop. err I mean on the shelf backup at work.
    Meaning that it has been crashed in the past, sometimes it takes a while before the results of a crash show up, any crash will cause some Bearing damage and over time they will get worse, how old is the spindle and how much work has it done they don't have a long life when used everyday
    Mactec54

The machine has never actually been crashed that I know of. Only a few bumps and tripped servos ect. The machine was new in 2016. Its in a production shop. Used several hrs daily, sometimes 2 shifts. The spindle spent most of its life with a 1/2" endmill sticking out of it 4.5" We cut parts out of 4" hdpe plastic sheet stock. Thats a lot of force/ pressure on the bearings with the bit sticking out so far. I'll look tomorrow to see if our software (WINCNC) has the total hrs on the machine. I've ordered a new one And took the old one to have the bearings replaced. I was in a rush to get the machine back up running. Now i wish i had upgraded to a atc spindle. So i could press a button and manually change the bits. I had the boss mans credit card with his ok to spend as much as it takes. And i messed up and didnt get an atc spindle.

The machine has never actually been crashed that I know of. Only a few bumps and tripped servos ect. The machine was new in 2016. Its in a production shop. Used several hrs daily, sometimes 2 shifts. The spindle spent most of its life with a 1/2" endmill sticking out of it 4.5" We cut parts out of 4" hdpe plastic sheet stock. Thats a lot of force/ pressure on the bearings with the bit sticking out so far. I'll look tomorrow to see if our software (WINCNC) has the total hrs on the machine. I've ordered a new one And took the old one to have the bearings replaced. I was in a rush to get the machine back up running. Now i wish i had upgraded to a atc spindle. So i could press a button and manually change the bits. I had the boss mans credit card with his ok to spend as much as it takes. And i messed up and didnt get an atc spindle.
    Things wear out it's normal

If you where able to stall the servo's than that is considered a high load on the Bearings and is hard on the motor windings, it happens not quite as bad as a crash when they break the tool off at the collet, I would say with 3year of use, it has done Ok, High Speed spindles like this have a short Bearing life, when used like this
    Mactec54