584,841 active members*
4,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Gang Plate Dimensions

When I download the Tormach models for the gang plate & riser the t-slot's don't lineup and it looks like they would not even go together at all! The first slot is different than both the 2nd & 3rd slots.

I called Tormach & they just gave me the lame excuse that their models are just approximations and that the real dimensions are proprietary.

Anyway, if someone with gang tooling could tell me the dimensions I would appreciate it?

From the models it shows:

It's not a lot but if these are the real dimension it looks like the mounting bolts will be cocked and the reference surfaces not necessarily in contact.

Maybe the actual gang plate slots are bigger than the model dimension of 0.472" or 12mm. Actually all I really need to know is if the riser dimension is really 1.378" (35mm). Then I can just correct the plate but it would still be nice to know what the plate really is.

So I decided to make my own gang plate because my saddle mating surface is not parallel to the spindle center-line.

I made my own QCTP mounting plate because of this issue & it worked out great -Cross Slide Variance

Thanks

Re: Gang Plate Dimensions

I'll measure mine in a few hours when I get home, if you haven't gotten any replies by then. Interesting, my Tormach brand riser is very short.. in that I needed to use ALL the shims and it still wan't high enough to center tools w/ the spindle. I was also going to make a proper one rather than screw with the shims every time I moved it.

Yes, very easy to do, install a new steel block on the plate, put the drill in the chuck and drill, you'll be sure about the height of the tool.

Measured the actuals and they match your diagram. In other words, yes, the center of the riser to the plate is .020 variance, but in practice I didn't notice any issue.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LatheRiser.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	432296

Are you buying the gang tool holders and/or risers?

After seeing that you made your own QCTP mount and now your gang plate, I figure you'd make your own tools holders and riser too. If that is the case, you could make the t-slot spacing any dimension you like. If using the tool holders/risers, I'd probably get them first and make the plate fit them perfectly.

Am I wrong to lean towards buying the blank tooling block and putting holes in on the lathe? Should be ordering a Slant soon.
    -Jon

Quote Originally Posted by number40Fan View Post
    Are you buying the gang tool holders and/or risers?
    Yep, I got a discount from Speedy Metals so for the gang plate & 2 risers the iron cost was only 135$ delivered.

I needed a t-slot cutter which I found for 27$ from Little Machine Shop & I’m thinking of getting a 7/16” End Mill from Shars ($44) just for this job. Although I probably have a EM laying around that I could use I’m kind of interested to see how the EM from Shars will work.

So I have everything else I need and it’s a breeze to make these parts on my 10X50 manual mill.

These parts from Tormach add up to: gang plate $345 + riser $165 + riser $165 = $675. My cost making them will about $205 so I’m saving $470 and will have a custom fit to my saddle.

Since I’m retired I’m count my time as free.

If the Tormach tool holders have an accurate 1/2” center-line I’ll probably just buy those. Otherwise I might make some of those too.

Quote Originally Posted by maker of things View Post
    Am I wrong to lean towards buying the blank tooling block and putting holes in on the lathe?
    I'm not putting any holes into the lathe - not sure what you mean here?

Thanks for the info ...

Put holes into the tool holder. At least in my mind, if everything is mounted and the tool holder is drilled and reamed using the spindle, shimming should be unnecessary.
    -Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Warren_3Deee View Post
    Measured the actuals and they match your diagram. In other words, yes, the center of the riser to the plate is .020 variance, but in practice I didn't notice any issue.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LatheRiser.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	432296
    Possibly to pull the riser against the plate in Z also?
    -Jon

I ordered a Tormach 33906 tool holder to check it's accuracy to decide if I would make my own or buy them. After checking it out I'm not happy with the findings. The fit & finish were OK but the bore hole is not parallel with the reference surface by what I think is a fair amount. I used a bushing to reduce the bore from 3/4" to 1/2" so I could use my reference 1/2" dowel.

So these are the measurements that I got:

.........Bore: 0.75080"
    ...Bushing OD: 0.75000"
    ...Bushing ID: 0.50075"
    Center Height: 0.5000" Nominal
    .........Left: 0.7520"
    ........Right: 0.7460"

The Tormach supplied bushing fit very well and is concentric. However, when measuring the reference dowel on either side of the holder there exists a 0.006" variance.

I was under the assumption that once the risers were set at the correct height the tool holders would be interchangeable. It looks more like you would need to shim each tool holder and depending on the tool type you would have shim both height and parallelism.

At $100+ for tool holders it seem like Tormach should be able to get the center height within a thou and the bore parallel to the spindle axis.

Looks like I'll be ordering some 4142 HT from Speedy Metals to make my own.

I may make my own as well based on this info. I do wonder if the tormach tooling is imported? I tracked this place down Engineered Concepts based on some of Grimsmo's old slant pro videos. the designs are nearly identical so I don't know if tormach is buying from ECI or knocked off import?
    -Jon

Well I decided to make my plate the way I wanted it. This is how I did it:

So I finished cutting the slots last night. I just need to reface the top & bottom to set the height correcting for my saddle parallelism to the center-line.

Some nice work there

Finally got the plate mounted onto the lathe:

On to risers & tool holders.
    I did buy a Tormach 33906 holder but I'm disappointed.
    Maybe it's just a bad one but I decided to buy one from ECI to see if it's any better.

Looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    I ordered a Tormach 33906 tool holder

So these are the measurements that I got:

.........Bore: 0.75080"
    ...Bushing OD: 0.75000"
    ...Bushing ID: 0.50075"
    Center Height: 0.5000" Nominal
    .........Left: 0.7520"
    ........Right: 0.7460"

What was the reason for using a block under the tool holder rather than putting the tool holder on an edge of the surface plate? I think any out of parallel between the top and bottom of the block will make for an inaccurate measurement.

1-2-3 blocks are made to perfectly parallel, square and to size.

Yep ...

The tool holders have a lip on them to align to the riser in X and as such will not sit flat on the plate. Yeah you could hang it off the edge of the plate but then I could not get to both sides of my reference dowel with the height gauge. So I perched it on top of a precision 1-2-3 block. You could even use a gauge block or anything that's parallel.

No. Here's specs for a new set
    They are parallel within 0.0002", flat within 0.0002" and square within 0.0002".
    https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...ProductID=1233

Geometry increases the inaccuracy at the ends of the dowel pin. Taking a second measurement after rotating the block and averaging them would go a long way to eliminating the problem.

Finished making one of the riser. Pretty happy with the results. My reference dowel wants to go into the Tormach holder but sticks about half way in because of the 0.006" slope that in it. We'll see if the ECI holder is any better.

Page 1 of 2 12