584,866 active members*
5,141 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

machining threads off

let me see if I can explain this, so I have this nut (7/8-9 unc), I would like to set it on a lathe about 10 degrees slanted on the backside, then I will machine the I.D of the thread to a certain I.D dimention. does anyone have any sudjestion or ideas on how to place the nut at an angle? or maybe make a ficture.

Quote Originally Posted by cob View Post
    let me see if I can explain this, so I have this nut (7/8-9 unc), I would like to set it on a lathe about 10 degrees slanted on the backside, then I will machine the I.D of the thread to a certain I.D dimention. does anyone have any sudjestion or ideas on how to place the nut at an angle? or maybe make a ficture.
    Mount nut on your tool post. Rotate compound to appropriate angle. Put cutting tool in chuck-mill cutter/drill bit/ boring head. Simplest way to mount nut might be a socket with steel bar welded to it.

Re: machining threads off

Is the cut a taper parallel to the axis of the nut or is it instead a cylinder at an angle to the axis of the nut?