584,812 active members*
5,199 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > New VFD / Water Cooled Spindle Kit.

New VFD / Water Cooled Spindle Kit.

I want to replace the router in my cnc with a VFD / water cooled spindle motor ER16 kit. Available power is 120VAC, 15A so I will get whatever KW is available for this power input. The ER16 is not a real requirement but since I have a complete set of ER16 collets I would like to use them if possible.

Any suggestions of a similar kit you used and place you bought it from?

Thanks
    Nicolas

Re: New VFD / Water Cooled Spindle Kit.

I found a thread here and mastec54 recommend G-Penny for spindles/VFD. So I will search at that site to find what I need and come back if I have any questions.

The power panel to the house is too far and no practical to run a 240VAC line to my garage so I have to stick to 110VAC.
    Nicolas

Is there a big difference between the HY or Fuling Inverters? I prefer the Fuling cause light color and compact size
    Nicolas

Quote Originally Posted by kolias View Post
    I found a thread here and mastec54 recommend G-Penny for spindles/VFD. So I will search at that site to find what I need and come back if I have any questions.

The power panel to the house is too far and no practical to run a 240VAC line to my garage so I have to stick to 110VAC.
    The biggest Kw spindle you can run with your 120v power supply is 1.5Kw and then it should be 20A

Normally the Laundry / kitchen oven will have a 240v circuit unless you have Gas

So, the sub-panel will have 240v supply and that is normally not far from the garage so check to see if there is a space for a 2-Pole Breaker and you could then have 240v supply to your garage
    Mactec54

Is there a big difference between the HY or Fuling Inverters? I prefer the Fuling cause light color and compact size
    HY is the best low cost VFD Drive
    Mactec54

Many thanks for your time mastec54,

So I will stick to HY and forget about the Fuling inverter.

Too bad the 1.5Kw takes 20A because my garage plugs are connected to a 15A branch.

My 2 levels house has no basement so the ground floor is level with the street. The double garage on the ground floor is divided at the back to make a room the same width as the garage by about 8 feet deep and in there I have my workshop and the electrical panel is located there. I have the space in the panel for an extra breaker and it’s easy to rum a line from the panel to the garage but all walls / ceiling are gyprock and that’s the problem, I will have to break the gyprock to conceal the new wiring or perhaps I can run the new line inside an exposed conduit which we don’t like.

I could change the 15A breaker with a 20A but the wiring to the plugs is only 14AWG

So I guess I will have to settled for an 800W water cooled spindle with 1.5KW inverter which is not that bad for my needs, I only do hobby work.
    Nicolas

Many thanks for your time mastec54,

So I will stick to HY and forget about the Fuling inverter.

Too bad the 1.5Kw takes 20A because my garage plugs are connected to a 15A branch.

My 2 levels house has no basement so the ground floor is level with the street. The double garage on the ground floor is divided at the back to make a room the same width as the garage by about 8 feet deep and in there I have my workshop and the electrical panel is located there. I have the space in the panel for an extra breaker and it’s easy to rum a line from the panel to the garage but all walls / ceiling are gyprock and that’s the problem, I will have to break the gyprock to conceal the new wiring or perhaps I can run the new line inside an exposed conduit which we don’t like.

I could change the 15A breaker with a 20A but the wiring to the plugs is only 14AWG

So I guess I will have to settled for an 800W water cooled spindle with 1.5KW inverter which is not that bad for my needs, I only do hobby work.
    You can squeeze by with the 15A but may have it trip the Breaker when fully loaded, is the sub box 240v or just 120v how many wires are coming into it, remove the front panel and take a photo, 800w would work well on that power supply
    Mactec54

The “squeeze by with the 15A” is tempting but I wonder about the tripping the breaker as to how often. The cost also may be a factor as I didn’t check yet the cost difference between the 2.

The attached shows the panel, it’s an I-T-E panel, the house was built in 1986. Can’t move the front panel now, I did that many years ago when I had to add breakers to update the electric heating system. Also noticed there is no space now for an extra breaker.

Noticed at the G-Penny site their English is quite bad and I wonder how good the communications will be when I’m ready to place the order. When I select a kit and I click to change to power supply from 220 to 120 the pictures of the unit remain the same which is not good to me to assure that I will get the right unit. I plan to place the order in January since I will not do any work on the cnc before X-Mas
    Nicolas

The “squeeze by with the 15A” is tempting but I wonder about the tripping the breaker as to how often. The cost also may be a factor as I didn’t check yet the cost difference between the 2.

The attached shows the panel, it’s an I-T-E panel, the house was built in 1986. Can’t move the front panel now, I did that many years ago when I had to add breakers to update the electric heating system. Also noticed there is no space now for an extra breaker.

Noticed at the G-Penny site their English is quite bad and I wonder how good the communications will be when I’m ready to place the order. When I select a kit and I click to change to power supply from 220 to 120 the pictures of the unit remain the same which is not good to me to assure that I will get the right unit. I plan to place the order in January since I will not do any work on the cnc before X-Mas
    That would be easy to add a 240v circuit to that panel or a 20A 120v if you had too, you could take the cable up the wall to the top go across the ceiling rafters and down the wall without too much trouble, if you do something like this, you would use a 4-wire cable then you can have 240v / 120v from the same supply which is what you want for a machine Power supply is you live in NA

See if you can get a wire across the ceiling if you can't you aways fish some wire in the ceiling and walls with very minimal sheet rock removal normally a 2" hole is enough , there are some videos on how to fish electrical wires in walls Etc.
    Mactec54

Sound easy Mastec54 but it’s not, bottom line is if there is a need and will to do something it will be done and in my case I have neither one.

When I moved to this house 25 years ago the garage/workshop was in a very sad shape and I had to remove all the ceiling gyprock and a lot of the walls gyprock to re wire everything and install proper lighting, plugs & plumbing. Now yes it is possible but in my age I will not even dream about it!

In addition, I remember the rafters in the workshop room (where the panel is located) run in the east/west direction and spaced every 6” and it’s a nightmare to drill holes on them to pass a cable. Never understood why the rafters are spaced so close in that room, perhaps because that’s a corner of the house and I have no basement? In the garage the rafters run in the north/south direction and spaced like they should, every 16” c/c so there is no problem in the garage.

If I had a basement where everything in the ceiling is exposed, we would not been talking about it.
    Nicolas

Decided to buy now a HY 1.5kw VFD kit with 0.8kw water cooled spindle but communications with G-Penny are not good so decided to try this site which I know from Mach3 forum. Do you have any experience with them?

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/314742

Dealing with Chinese vendors I would like to have a web page indicating what I will buy to avoid confusion. So far with G-Penny I select input voltage 110-120VAC but all items below show 220VAC.
    Nicolas

Hi,
    I buy, and have bought on a number of occasions, from this company Delta servos:

https://www.fasttobuy.com/

They sell all manner of things including spindles.

Craig

Decided to buy now a HY 1.5kw VFD kit with 0.8kw water cooled spindle but communications with G-Penny are not good so decided to try this site which I know from Mach3 forum. Do you have any experience with them?

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/314742

Dealing with Chinese vendors I would like to have a web page indicating what I will buy to avoid confusion. So far with G-Penny I select input voltage 110-120VAC but all items below show 220VAC.
    On here they ask you to leave a note as to what voltage you want

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/22518...andl_shipto=US
    Mactec54

I did use that link yesterday mastec54 and he replied only “800W spindle comes with ER11 collet”. Earlier this morning I sent another email and ask how to place my order for 110VAC power input, no reply yet

The fasttobuy only have individual items and not a kit (VFD, Spindle, bracket etc) and I didn’t see any HY Inverters which I understand are better.

Looks like G-Penny price is about $100 less than the others
    Nicolas

BTW I have this submersible water pump which years ago I paid for a 110VAC pump and they send me this 12VDC pump which they replaced and told me to keep the old one.

The pump is: 12VDC, 14.4W, 4M Head, 660L/H, would be ok to use it when I get the new kit?
    Nicolas

BTW I have this submersible water pump which years ago I paid for a 110VAC pump and they send me this 12VDC pump which they replaced and told me to keep the old one.

The pump is: 12VDC, 14.4W, 4M Head, 660L/H, would be ok to use it when I get the new kit?
    It does not have a high flow rate, but most likely will work fine, so try it and just check the flow rate once installed is enough to keep it cool
    Mactec54

Thank you mastec54 for the help with the water pump. I finally took a chance and ordered my kit from G-Penny despite the language problem. They also sent me a link with 4 pages of the initial parameters settings.

BST Automation also they reply today and told him it was too late (his price was $60.00 higher) but at least their English was perfect and answered all my questions.

If all is ok I should have the kit by Dec-10 and then it will take me some time to re-fit the Z axis for the new spindle and re wiring/setup etc.

When I’m ready, I will start a new thread asking you for help with the parameters settings and hopefully you will have the time to give me a hand again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My KIT Purchase1.jpg  
    Nicolas

Order was placed in Dec-01 and as of today Dec-06 the order is not shipped and AliExpress says if order is not shipped in 7 days I will get an automatic refund. However yesterday I ask G-Penny when he will ship and he said in 7-10 days because 110V is customized order but on his web site it’s says 110V 19 available! My opinion so far for G-Penny is that they are a machine shop making spindles and whatever and are not properly equipped for online ordering.

Considering the bad communications and late delivery I should have chosen BST Automation where I had good communication, although it took them one day to reply, and most likely the order would have been shipped the same day.

Now if AliExpress gives me a full refund, which I think that’s what will happen, I don’t know what G-Penny will do
    Nicolas

Order was placed in Dec-01 and as of today Dec-06 the order is not shipped and AliExpress says if order is not shipped in 7 days I will get an automatic refund. However yesterday I ask G-Penny when he will ship and he said in 7-10 days because 110V is customized order but on his web site it’s says 110V 19 available! My opinion so far for G-Penny is that they are a machine shop making spindles and whatever and are not properly equipped for online ordering.

Considering the bad communications and late delivery I should have chosen BST Automation where I had good communication, although it took them one day to reply, and most likely the order would have been shipped the same day.

Now if AliExpress gives me a full refund, which I think that’s what will happen, I don’t know what G-Penny will do
    There web page must have not updated

Just remember you get what you pay for 110v indeed is special order for some of the manufacturers, and in reality, should not exist, just think 3Phase 110v, I believe that some other suppliers are shipping 220v spindle marked as 110v and that is why they perform like a wimpy noodle
    Mactec54

An update on this subject: got email this AM my package was shipped FedEx IE with estimated delivery Dec-10. I don’t know what FedEx IE means most likely means “international express”.

So regardless that the vendor didn’t ship the item when the order was placed, the estimated delivery date of Dec-11 when I placed the order was not changed, actually was improved by 1 day.
    Nicolas