585,883 active members*
4,832 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > ATC not working need to run with manual tool changes.

ATC not working need to run with manual tool changes.

I have modified the ATC with air cylinder and need to make brackets without the ATC. The fusion 360 post processor Gcode needs to be modified to allow me to not do an ATC tool change but to load the tool in the spindle manually. What is the best Gcode to do this modification and get rid of the line that has the T1 M6 line so that I can do a manual tool change?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Re: ATC not working need to run with manual tool changes.

Search for InsertToolCall.

Around this area...

writeBlock("T" + toolFormat.format(tool.number), mFormat.format(6));
    if (tool.comment) {
    writeComment(tool.comment);
    }

Jeff,
    You can remove the tool call and change it to a comment, then insert a M1 there. afterwards make sure your tool offsets are still called.
    I figured once you found the right area in the post you know what to do, if not let me know I will dig deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
    Jeff,
    You can remove the tool call and change it to a comment, then insert a M1 there. afterwards make sure your tool offsets are still called.
    I figured once you found the right area in the post you know what to do, if not let me know I will dig deeper.
    I suggest using M00 (program stop, as you MUST toolchange), not M1 ( opt. stop )

Yes, M00, the M01 was incorrect.

rwskinner, thanks for the update. I got if figured out now. Here is the code that I came up with. After line N31 I should be able to just hit start and continue with the code. I am having to make new ATC brackets for my VMC15. I took the plate with the tool in out motor and replaced with Air Cylinder like the EMC20 mills. Streamed lined the look of the mill and only cost like $200 vs a new $600 motor from FADAL. I had to do very little wiring and in fact used the original relay to operate the air solenoid on the stock original air manifold. Once I get the brackets done the mill ATC will operate like original.
    H%
    O1001 (1001 ATC SLIDE BRACKET)
    (MACHINE)
    ( VENDOR: AUTODESK)
    ( MODEL: FADAL VMC15XT)
    ( DESCRIPTION: GENERIC 3-AXIS)
    (T1 D=0.375 CR=0. - ZMIN=-3.167 - FLAT END MILL)
    N10 G90 G94 G17
    N15 G20
    N20 G28 G91 Z0.
    N25 G90

(2D ADAPTIVE3 PROCESS 1)
    N26 M5 M9
    N30 M0 (T1 M6)
    N31 (Insert T1 .375 Endmill)
    N35 S5000 M3
    N40 G4 P36
    N45 M8
    N50 G0 E1 X0.9404 Y1.5384
    N55 G43 Z0.6 H1
    N60 Z-0.3
    N65 G1 Z-0.3375 F40.
    N70 X0.9402 Z-0.342

That post ought to work fine.
    Great idea on the air cylinder. Be sure to post some pics of your mod when done.

I'm sure you already planned to use them, but I had to install adjustable dampers (flow control valves) to keep the speed reasonable and smooth on that RF45 ATC I built years ago.

RW, here is the pics of my design. I bought a 3D printer to try it out first and what a time saver to be able to R&D this modification. The cylinder has all the bells and whistles, mag piston, air cushion, and flow control for speed. Wiring up the sensors was relatively easy. I did not remove any of the stock wiring nor did I have to cut any of it. I used molex connectors for the new sensors to make appear it is factory. I did have to add 2 extra air solenoids to the stock FADAL air manifold that is under the VFD/Transformer cabinet that operates the EXTEND RETRACT position of the ATC. Very happy with the outcome and would do it again when I buy another FADAL VMC15XT.

Jeff
    Attachment 486432
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATC2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	486434

That turned out really nice. I bought a couple of 3D filament printers about 10 years ago and they were so finicky on settings I ended up giving them away. I'm pretty sure most of it was inconsistent filament properties. I believe they've probably came a long ways since then and I might explore it again.

I bought a Creality 5plus and is a fun machine and very easy to use for R&D projects. I like it because I can make a part in Fushion360 go to bed wake up and it is done. When I have the part the way I want I will be able to machine it out. I had to build an enclosure for it to keep the dust out and the heat in. Used it without an enclosure and the printer would trip off because the heated bed could not overcome the cold in my shop. I do not have heat in my shop, fixing that in 2 weeks! Will have 120K BTU and 5 ton heat pump. The FADAL does not like the cold. Amazing how the metal on the machine will grow and shrink with temp changes. My drivers for sure do not like the cold. I bought this FADAL from a local company and did not know how big of a POS it was. Needless to say I rebuild the whole thing down to the frame. The NSK original ball rails were trashed so I replaced them with NSK roller rails. Made the machine much more rigid as the roller contacts more of the rail. Took me forever to get each axis correct, long days and nights to make it right. Powdercoated the entire enclosure and rebuilt the pendant with color monitor and added a Intell NUC in the Pendant so I can get on the NET from the machine. I have the Calmotion setup with FTP so I can just send my NC code direct to the machine from my laptop wirelessly.

Attachment 486442
    Attachment 486444

Are you doing your own sheet metal work? Cat 40 and keyboard racks?

Quote Originally Posted by rwskinner View Post
    Are you doing your own sheet metal work? Cat 40 and keyboard racks?
    RW I actually bought those CAT40 holder trays off of a guy in Minneapolis who bought like 30 of them off of online auction. They were on a pallet. They were HAAS tool holders. They don’t sell them anymore but the guy may have more to sell. Made it nice to hold all the tools I have for now. I made the keyboard tray under the pendant myself. Was fun to do and I wanted it to function good. I did a lot to the machine but I have it the way I wanted and got to put my spin on it.

Here is the link to the eBay for the racks

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265641010574?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Q1NnNm3iSBi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=lmODKFuLSl W&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Jeff