584,837 active members*
5,372 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Stepper Motor doesn't spin but makes noise
Page 1 of 2 12

Stepper Motor doesn't spin but makes noise

Hello everyone,

I am trying to connect stepper motor to the driver.
    For some reason instead of turning it makes noise.
    When I increase voltage the noise becomes louder but motor still doesn't move.
    I am wondering what could be wrong.

What kind of noise does it make; buzzing or screaming?

The noise maybe the motor moving but very slowly, try jogging at high speed.

Ок, I was afraid to raise voltage more but curiosity was stronger then fear.
    I increased the voltage at ohhh yes it is turning!

Increasing voltage will only give you more torque at higher rpm’s. If it is turning very slowly and makes a buzzing sound you need to increase the step pulse to increase speed.

What kind of driver? What kind of motor? What is the power supply voltage?
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

I'm having the same problem.
    using EMC2, 24v supply, which is the rating for the steppers, and is within spec for the driver board (12v-36v).
    the noise coming out of it is just like the noise it would make if it were running, and holding it, it feels and sounds like it's trying to move, but the shaft doesn't actually move. stepper is not seized. brand new, and can turn with hand. when powering up the computer, the steppers all "hold" well, then release when the boot up is finished. Not sure if it makes any sense, but it almost seems to me like the steppers are trying to move, but are being held or something. The frequency of the noise is coordinated to what it's being told to do, with accelleration, microstepping etc. it all sounds like it's running, but the shaft won't spin. tried multiple (identical) steppers, all teh same, and on all 3 axis I'm using. triple checked wiring, and I think i have the pin layouts correct. i did notice my driver pin laoyouts have seperate pins for XYZ permission and XYZ Pulse, and the Permission ones make it actually do somthing, while the pulse pins dont' seem to. i know i probably don't have enough information, but this is a start in case anybody happens to fix "Finder"s problem, the solution will probably fix mine too.

Turn down your velocity and acceleration to very low values and atart there. Make sure you have the correct number of steps per unit configured. i.e. TPI - step size. For example a single start 10tpi at half step would be 4000 steps per inch.

ESTOP!!!
    mine works now. the X "permission" is really an estop out. I'm relatively new to cnc, so i didn't put two and two together... at least not in the right order. so i just kept trying different pin definitions until it finally worked. if at first you don't succeed... part of my problem was my ignorance, and part was due to my pin descriptions being translated by someone from chinese that isn't familiar with the concepts of cnc, just a literal language translation. anyhow, this was my first post and i intend to get more involved in the future. Thanks again!!!

Estop won't keep the motors locked........

yeah. like i said, I'm relatively new.
    what i did worked, but I'm sure this is probably a case of two wrongs making a right.

You got it working that is what is important. Doubt there is two wrongs as Estop doesn't work like that.

Motor not spining

I bought 3 stepper motor 57BYGH115-003, interface card . when i connect the interface card with driver and motor, i checked the interface card pin 2(DIR) and gnd and did get 5v when i press left key and 0 when right. but the motor is not spinning. Instead it makes a weird noise. it makes 2 diff noises when left and right key is pressed. even the motor, motor wires and the driver gets heated up.. what could be the problem..?? i tried to figure out but couldn't. i checked the voltage it was 24v into the driver (SD-2H044MA 22).http://tinypic.com/r/et86fb/6 please check the wiring diagram.

If it is making noise, then the stepper is working. If when you tried the turn right or the left changed the noise frequency probably you should check steps per unit. If when press the turn r or l button noise frequency isn't changing then probabbly problem at ports and pins or eires. So check ports and pins settings on software and check motor to driver wires and other connections...

Same problem

I am having the same problem bought this kit here 4 Axis NEMA 23 Stepper Motor 287oz in Driver CNC Kit Longs Motor Free Shipping | eBay If anyone has an answer please help. Has anyone else purchased one of these kits and got the motors to turn if so what are the correct settings under config ports and pins to get them to move?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg View Post
    I am having the same problem bought this kit here 4 Axis NEMA 23 Stepper Motor 287oz in Driver CNC Kit Longs Motor Free Shipping | eBay If anyone has an answer please help. Has anyone else purchased one of these kits and got the motors to turn if so what are the correct settings under config ports and pins to get them to move?
    There is a lot of discussion about those driver boards here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...y_chinese.html

Re: Stepper Motor doesn't spin but makes noise

Hi i am having the same problem!

the motors are making a high picked squeal!

i am using ramps 1.4 with A4988 drivers. I am not using any jumpers for micro-stepping. I am also building the Kossel mini printer.

When i command the g28 command on PrinterFace to my printer, the stepper motors hum but do not go to their home positions. The motors have a lot of torque however they do not move. The endstops are all working correctly and i checked each driver and stepper motor individually and they all work. The wires are all connected correctly. When the power if off and i move the stepper motors they all make the Arduino light up. does anyone know that the problem is?

thanks!

Have you also tried issuing a G91 for relative mode and then something like a G01 X20 Y20 to see if there's any movement?

When i upload this code as a test function, the motors turn:

#define X_STEP_PIN 54
    #define X_DIR_PIN 55
    #define X_ENABLE_PIN 38
    #define X_MIN_PIN 3
    #define X_MAX_PIN 2

#define Y_STEP_PIN 60
    #define Y_DIR_PIN 61
    #define Y_ENABLE_PIN 56
    #define Y_MIN_PIN 14
    #define Y_MAX_PIN 15

#define Z_STEP_PIN 46
    #define Z_DIR_PIN 48
    #define Z_ENABLE_PIN 62
    #define Z_MIN_PIN 18
    #define Z_MAX_PIN 19

void setup() {
    pinMode(X_STEP_PIN , OUTPUT);
    pinMode(X_DIR_PIN , OUTPUT);
    pinMode(X_ENABLE_PIN , OUTPUT);

pinMode(Y_STEP_PIN , OUTPUT);
    pinMode(Y_DIR_PIN , OUTPUT);
    pinMode(Y_ENABLE_PIN , OUTPUT);

pinMode(Z_STEP_PIN , OUTPUT);
    pinMode(Z_DIR_PIN , OUTPUT);
    pinMode(Z_ENABLE_PIN , OUTPUT);

digitalWrite(X_ENABLE_PIN , LOW);
    digitalWrite(Y_ENABLE_PIN , LOW);
    digitalWrite(Z_ENABLE_PIN , LOW);
    }

void loop () {

if (millis() %10000 <5000) {
    digitalWrite(X_DIR_PIN , HIGH);
    digitalWrite(Y_DIR_PIN , HIGH);
    digitalWrite(Z_DIR_PIN , HIGH);

}
    else {
    digitalWrite(X_DIR_PIN , LOW);
    digitalWrite(Y_DIR_PIN , LOW);
    digitalWrite(Z_DIR_PIN , LOW);

}

digitalWrite(X_STEP_PIN , HIGH);
    digitalWrite(Y_STEP_PIN , HIGH);
    digitalWrite(Z_STEP_PIN , HIGH);

delay(10);

digitalWrite(X_STEP_PIN , LOW);
    digitalWrite(Y_STEP_PIN , LOW);
    digitalWrite(Z_STEP_PIN , LOW);

}

However when i prompt the g28 command it does not turn.

What I was trying to get at was to see if the G-code interpreter and the stepper driver electronics were working properly (by issuing a simpler G-code command).

If that is the case, then the problem with G28 may have nothing to do with your stepper motor driver setup, and instead it would be useful to investigate things such as velocity and acceleration settings, home switch wiring, or other configuration parameters.

I am running marlin on the arduino. When i command it to move using any command it does not work however when i check endstops and other stuff, i get a response. Do u know what might be wrong with my marlin firmware?

Page 1 of 2 12