585,597 active members*
3,652 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Shoptask 1720 XMTC add CNC

Hi All! Im new here and just bought a Shoptask 1720 XMTC used for 500.00. It has x/y steppers on it and was interested in adding CNC. The guy I bought it from has some gekko controllers on another unit and siad to use those. Anyone done this setup and what would I need to make it happen? I have a computer, just need the hardware and software. Thanks and great forums!
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by mustangdug View Post
    Hi All! Im new here and just bought a Shoptask 1720 XMTC used for 500.00. It has x/y steppers on it and was interested in adding CNC. The guy I bought it from has some gekko controllers on another unit and siad to use those. Anyone done this setup and what would I need to make it happen? I have a computer, just need the hardware and software. Thanks and great forums!
    Doug
    Gecko is a good choice for your drivers, but you need to match the motors and wire them properly. You will need a motor on the Z axis unless you are going to use it strictly as a CNC lathe. Shoptask sells a hardware kit for about 40 bucks that includes the belts, nuts and bolts and some torrington bearings to reduce lash in the Z axis. Mach III is a good software to try.

Quote Originally Posted by instructor37 View Post
    Gecko is a good choice for your drivers, but you need to match the motors and wire them properly. You will need a motor on the Z axis unless you are going to use it strictly as a CNC lathe. Shoptask sells a hardware kit for about 40 bucks that includes the belts, nuts and bolts and some torrington bearings to reduce lash in the Z axis. Mach III is a good software to try.
    On the older machines, you would be miles ahead to buy the ball screw kit from Shoptask for the Z axis. The X, Y table works good in original configuration for CNC, but the Z axis needs the ball screw to really work well.