584,841 active members*
4,437 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Using Treadmill motor on Metal Lathe

Using Treadmill motor on Metal Lathe

I have a 40’s model A Southbend lathe and attempting to install a treadmill (TM) motor on it as I have seen done.
    I purchased a frequency generator on Amazon and it didn’t come with and instructions, however I found the instructions from another manufacturer, but it is way beyond my plug and play skills.

I’ll post photos of the instructions below, one of the things the instructions talk about is setting the frequency for the motor, how would I find that out?
    It also mentions turning the module on and setting various parameters, it is wired through the TM, are they referring to the TM on/off switch, or do I need to do the setup with an outside power source and after setup connect it back to the TM controller?

I connected the frequency controller exactly like I say one on the internet. And I cannot get the TM motor to fun. I connected a 18V DC directly to the TM and it runs.

Can someone give me some tips on getting this setup?
    Thanks

Re: Using Treadmill motor on Metal Lathe

Just got a reply back from YouTube and the motor can be controlled now.
    Hope this helps come one else.
    Here’s the link
    https://youtu.be/scWJFe9OUU4

I built some 50mm x 50mm Micro based boards to control these (MC2100) T.M. boards, they require a 20Hz PWM signal to run.
    I fitted a Stop and Start PB inputs to control as well as the pot.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I built some 50mm x 50mm Micro based boards to control these (MC2100) T.M. boards, they require a 20Hz PWM signal to run.
    I fitted a Stop and Start PB inputs to control as well as the pot.
    Al.
    Sounds like a good plan AL, adding an of off button sounds good, I think they tried to put too many functions in the module.
    I’m guessing yours had a speed dial and the on and off button. That’s mostly all you need, Once you set the frequency why would you need to change it.
    Thanks AL
    Hager

This the general idea, I had some other ideas for the unit for other purposes.
    Al.

Albert E.

That looks good, like the addition of the Tach. So that circuit runs the motor?

The circuit board is the basic Stop/Start P.B. input and features the speed pot.
    Plugs into the HD2 socket.
    Uses a 8pin PicMicro.
    Al.

Albert E.

Looks like a very useful module.

I suppose you already had the parts from the TM but my 2 pennoth worth would be to buy a 1 HP 3 phase motor and a VFD......did that for my small lathe and my mill too and it was a ten second plug and play exercise apart from bolting the motor(s) down etc.
    Ian.

Around here, at least one T.M. comes up for free pick up per month in the local on-line market place, (not working)..
    Good source of 2hp - 3hp DC motors and/or controller board if lucky.
    Al.

Albert E.

Around here, at least one T.M. comes up for free pick up per month in the local on-line market place, (not working)..
    Good source of 2hp - 3hp DC motors and/or controller board if lucky.
    Al.
    Thanks AL, I’ve been searching all the tread mill lathe motor swaps and they are countless, and my TM motor is a permanent magnet one which seems to be desirable so I’m sold on this conversion, and verified that it runs equally smoothly in either direction. Only saw one instance where they made so tweaking to the brush holders for better brush life, but there wasn’t much details. I can take it apart and see if they are positioned in a neutral manner or angled/aligned in relationship to their contact surface.
    I thinking I need to get the original pulley dimensions pretty much the same for generally running it at 1725 for normal lathe work yet have the flexibility of faster and slower when the need arises. Looking forward to this project.
    Hager

On the question of the motors, there MAY have been one model that had offset brushes, but they were few and far between, the brush story was prolonged due to motors being marked, CW (or CCW) only, this was NOT due to any brush offset, but because the flywheel was threaded on.
    And spectacular results could occur if reversing!
    The only rare occasion I came across a TM manuf that used a Universal (AC/DC brushed) motor and they used a control board featuring a Motorola IC, TDA1085, that was intended for Universal motors in washing machines.
    But they did not last long.
    China has the market on rare earth magnets, so many of the motors are quite good, particularly the Johnson models.
    Al.

Albert E.

On the question of the motors, there MAY have been one model that had offset brushes, but they were few and far between, the brush story was prolonged due to motors being marked, CW (or CCW) only, this was NOT due to any brush offset, but because the flywheel was threaded on.
    And spectacular results could occur if reversing!
    The only rare occasion I came across a TM manuf that used a Universal (AC/DC brushed) motor and they used a control board featuring a Motorola IC, TDA1085, that was intended for Universal motors in washing machines.
    But they did not last long.
    China has the market on rare earth magnets, so many of the motors are quite good, particularly the Johnson models.
    Al.
    Some good news, the flywheel end of the motor shaft was fitted with a socket head cap screw. took it off and the flywheel slipped off, it was not screwed on, and a straight shaft, didn’t have a key way but that’s not a show stopper. The motor does have a powerful magnet so I’ll have to shield that from the Chips I’ll just lock tight the cap screw in and no danger of it coming unscrewed no matter which direction it is ran. The flywheel inner section has fins so it’s part of the cooling system so I kinda want to leave it on and look for a serpentine large pulley to match the small serpentine pulley on the flywheel

You should not experience any chip attraction to the motor frame, in spite of powerful magnets inside.
    The frame acts as a shield.
    Al.

Albert E.

Correction on that shaft, it is tapered, 0.632” on the end to 0.668” on the inside and 1.450” long. The serpentine V spacing on it is 0.092” while the V spacing on a typical US serpentine belt is 0.145”. So I need to keep that V spacing in mind.

Hi. Hey just my two cents I did this mod a few years back on a lathe. Used a Chinese driver and can control the speed with Mach 3. It was easy enough to do.

I do have to say though I used a 2hp motor very much the same as the one you have there and personally I have found its lacking torque. Much less than the 1.5hp single phase one I pulled out. It is only (from memory) 110mm in diameter so even though its 1500kw still lacks. But just letting you know my experience you may not need it (torque) as much as I do. And my problem might be my driver...... don't know.

I do only have a small lathe. Regards

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk