584,808 active members*
5,040 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mori Seiki Machines > Mori Seiki lathes > New to me SL-4 with 2000G II, alarm code...

New to me SL-4 with 2000G II, alarm code...

Hello everyone, new guy here. I hope everyone has had a good holiday and a Happy New Year.

I have recently bought an '81 or '82 Mori Seiki SL4 lathe with the 2000G II control. It does have the CRT on the control. When I went to inspect it before purchase it ran as it should, I was adamant to see it run before I decided to buy. It was filthy but ran well and had no glaring issues. I did get the transformer and disconnect with the machine. It is a 480v machine. I measured the voltage before unhooking and I have matched them in my shop.

I got it unloaded in my shop and it had to set for a couple weeks before I could move it. When I could I did some cleaning on it, only using simple green or purple power on a rag, no pressure washing although I wanted to.

I did get to move it a few days ago to a semi permanent spot in my shop where I could power it up. I was able to Zero Return/Home it out. I can index the turret, it shows pressure on the hydraulic pump, the chip conveyor works, but I get an alarm when I try to turn on the spindle. It is popping up Alarm 28. I have a manual for it so I looked it up and it says "machine preparation incomplete. 1. MRD signal is not sent from the machine side or 2. MRD signal was lost temporarily."

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if I goofed up the machine somehow. I looked in the book and I think I am doing it as directed. I turn the mode selector to 'handle', select low gear and hit register, the low gear light is lit when I do this, and I turned the spindle rpm dial down to low and push the 'normal' button and as soon as I do it throws an alarm #28. Once that happens, I can't do anything. I tried reset, but it won't. I have to power off the machine completely. When I power it back up it is cleared.

When the alarm is set there is a red led light on in the cabinet where power comes in. It has 'FAN' above it kinda. This has me thinking it may be a fan not coming on? In cleaning this machine the last couple weeks I pulled a few of the cooling fans that were terribly gunked up and a couple couldn't even turn. One I took out was the big fan (app 8" square) on the spindle motor. This fan is mounted directly to the spindle motor. I was careful and if I recall I did not unplug it as the wires were long enough to reach. I did not notice until after seeing the red light on the circuit board that this fan is not running at all.

Is there a chance that it is throwing the alarm because the fan is not on? Is it even supposed to be on all the time?

I have not called Mori yet to see if I can get electrical schematics, any idea if they can be bought for this machine?

I appreciate any help I can get,
    Jason

Re: New to me SL-4 with 2000G II, alarm code...

I got to work on it more today and found another alarm that I didn't see previously. It is a #26 Spindle Drive alarm. Book said to check fuses which led to finding a bad one. It seems to be a special one, at least to me. It is a double bodied fuse with ends that have brackets for you to bolt the fuse into the machine. Looked them up and they are not cheap, starting at $120. There was another blown one in the cabinet door pocket, so I hope this isn't a common thing to happen.

Any ideas as to what makes these special? Could I swap in a new holder to use a more common style of fuse with the same rating?

Do you guys have any preferred sources for fuses?

One is a Kyosan 60FHS110
    other is a Mersen BS217UT69V110

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macgyver37 View Post
    I got to work on it more today and found another alarm that I didn't see previously. It is a #26 Spindle Drive alarm. Book said to check fuses which led to finding a bad one. It seems to be a special one, at least to me. It is a double bodied fuse with ends that have brackets for you to bolt the fuse into the machine. Looked them up and they are not cheap, starting at $120. There was another blown one in the cabinet door pocket, so I hope this isn't a common thing to happen.

Any ideas as to what makes these special? Could I swap in a new holder to use a more common style of fuse with the same rating?

Do you guys have any preferred sources for fuses?

One is a Kyosan 60FHS110
    other is a Mersen BS217UT69V110

Thanks
    I know this is kinda old, but it sounds like you might be over volting the machine. What are you running for power? And what is the machine setup for? Mori's of this vintage had a 208 volt switch on the spindle drive down low inside the electrical cabinet.

Haven't checked in in awhile... I don't have exact numbers on hand at this moment, but it is powered from the same transformer as the PO had it on when I bought it. I got to test drive it at his place and everything worked as it should. I checked the voltages going in the transformer and going out, wrote them down and matched it at my place. The lathe is setup on 480v, I have 240v 3 phase at my place, not 208, and from what I recall it is within a couple percent of the same voltage as it was at his place. Rotation is correct as the hydraulic pump and chip conveyor are correct rotation.

I have not had a chance to get back to it, I have been buried with work and just haven't made any progress on it. I will try to remember to find my notes on it and also investigate inside the cabinet more, see if there is anything that looks like it may show what range it should be in.

Quote Originally Posted by macgyver37 View Post
    Haven't checked in in awhile... I don't have exact numbers on hand at this moment, but it is powered from the same transformer as the PO had it on when I bought it. I got to test drive it at his place and everything worked as it should. I checked the voltages going in the transformer and going out, wrote them down and matched it at my place. The lathe is setup on 480v, I have 240v 3 phase at my place, not 208, and from what I recall it is within a couple percent of the same voltage as it was at his place. Rotation is correct as the hydraulic pump and chip conveyor are correct rotation.

I have not had a chance to get back to it, I have been buried with work and just haven't made any progress on it. I will try to remember to find my notes on it and also investigate inside the cabinet more, see if there is anything that looks like it may show what range it should be in.
    I realize this is over a year ago- did you come to a conclusion or find the problem with this?
    We have a SL6 that had the same error but it turned out to be an over traveling sensor on the tail stock. Seems totally unrelated but there’s a common wire powering CB5 in the door. Wire number 96/P4 leads from this breaker and goes to a number of relays and then goes back into the cabinet to a terminal bar branching out to a few sensors. If anything in this parallel configuration pulls the breaker off the Alarm 26 goes on.

Hi Jason, @fnf
    Since you mentioned that one of the fans (the one on the spindle motor) is not running, it's possible that this could be causing the alarm. Spindle motors generate heat during operation, and a fan failure can lead to overheating and trigger an alarm. Check the fan's connections, and if it's not running, it may need replacement.