584,829 active members*
5,330 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Open Source CNC Machine Designs > Project to make open source, 5'x10'x24", 5 axis router/plasma plans

Project to make open source, 5'x10'x24", 5 axis router/plasma plans

Hello all,
    I have posted about 3 build logs so far, the last one was a 5 axis, 5'x10'x29", 5.3hp, router & 60Amp Miller Plasma machine: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/plasma...a_10x5x24.html

I've launched an endeavor to produce an open source set of instructions for a 5 axis cnc router/ plasma machine. The documents will be based on the 5 axis router/plasma machine that I chronicled in that last build log, also seen here:
    Mike Calvino Architect Calvino Architecture Studio inc. CNC plasma router
    & here: YouTube - calvinoArchitect's Channel

I'm launching the open source document project through Kickstarter, I've got a full description, & a video, & you can see the link here:

Open Source 5 axis CNC Router & Plasma Machine Plans 5'x10' by Mike Calvino — Kickstarter

The idea is that if enough people are interested in the technology and are willing to spend a few $ to see an open source set of cad models, drawings, supplier lists, etc. that detail a complete, working machine, become available, then I can get it all assembled into a concise instruction file set & post if for download on my website. I would think there are a quite a few people who may be interested in something like this. If it works I think it will help to shed light on 5 axis (as well as 3 axis maybe) CNC machine technology as well as 5 axis CAM technology, how it can work, and how it can be used.

The Kickstarter funding project will go on until April 6th & if we've reached the goal, then it'll go through. I'll post updates here & some more info about the machine over the next few weeks as it goes on.

Well, here's to making cool stuff! & let's hope there's enough interest to get this plan/instruction set out there.

Cheers!
    :cheers:

--Calvino

Calvino,

I just found your thread and I have to say this is one of the coolest and most challenging projects I have ever seen.

I have a couple of quick questions about the router table. I have never seen a gantry built like a crane or suspension bridge before. Is the gantry built like this to keep the weight down or to add strength using all those triangle shapes?

Do you have plans to provide parts for the machines as well as plans?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bgriggs View Post
    Calvino,

I just found your thread and I have to say this is one of the coolest and most challenging projects I have ever seen.

I have a couple of quick questions about the router table. I have never seen a gantry built like a crane or suspension bridge before. Is the gantry built like this to keep the weight down or to add strength using all those triangle shapes?

Do you have plans to provide parts for the machines as well as plans?

Bill
    Yep,the truss design is exactly that, to keep weight down and to increase stiffness in all directions.

I'll certainly entertain making parts if there's enough demand for it . . . although the parts wouldn't be free like the plans of course . . .

We'll see where it goes!
    :cheers:

Love the machine. What kind of power are you using to drive the axis?
    My uncensored views and CNC Router planning: http://reinventingcnc.blogspot.com/

The gantry is driven by two 2830oz-in NEMA 42 steppers from kelinginc.net. could probably use a pair of RS2550's from homeshopcnc.com as well, they would drive it no problem. The X carriage uses an 1810 and the Z uses a 1200. The A & C use 1290's w/ about 21:1 gearing.
    Cheers!