585,676 active members*
4,189 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Can't get Mach 3 to Spindle Control (DMM DYN4) communication

Can't get Mach 3 to Spindle Control (DMM DYN4) communication

Hey All.

I have a Syil X4. It is a 2013 model and has never made a single chip! The spindle control has been blown out since it was new. When I finally got around to fixing it, Syil didn't sell parts anymore. I tried having the board rebuilt. No Joy.

Stephen at DMM set me up with a DYN4 Servo Controller and a servo motor for the spindle drive. I bench tested the DMM hardware. It all works. Then I installed in the Syil Mill. I can run the spindle using the DMM testing software, so everything is powered up correctly.

I made the connection to the Syil Controller per Stephen's directions, which are as follows:

So the connection is:
    Controller P/A into DYN4 Pin 13 AIN+
    Controller Gnd into DYN4 Pin25 AIN-
    Controller Gnd into DYN4 Pin1 Gnd
    Controller DIR to DYN4 DIR+ Pin 22
    Controller Gnd to DYN4 DIR- Pin 10
    The analog from the controller will control the spindle speed, the DIR output from controller will control the spindle rotation direction.

Pics attached of the ribbon cable at both ends.

The result is that I cannot control the spindle through the Mach 3 software. I can control all 3 axes on the mill, so I do know that Mach3 is talking to the mill. I can't help but think there is some settings in Mach 3 that aren't set up correctly.

Can any of you Mach maniacs guide me through a list of settings, or some such?

Thanking you in advance for any help,

Best,

Chris E.

Attachment 447442

Attachment 447444

Attachment 447446

Attachment 447448

Re: Can't get Mach 3 to Spindle Control (DMM DYN4) communication

Ironically I am just fixing it to sell it. Imagine that! I bought it 6 years ago brand new, it has never made a chip, and I spent another $800 in spindle stuff, just to sell it. Lol. Easy come easy go!

Quote Originally Posted by lockbuilder View Post
    Hey All.

I have a Syil X4. It is a 2013 model and has never made a single chip! The spindle control has been blown out since it was new. When I finally got around to fixing it, Syil didn't sell parts anymore. I tried having the board rebuilt. No Joy.

Stephen at DMM set me up with a DYN4 Servo Controller and a servo motor for the spindle drive. I bench tested the DMM hardware. It all works. Then I installed in the Syil Mill. I can run the spindle using the DMM testing software, so everything is powered up correctly.

I made the connection to the Syil Controller per Stephen's directions, which are as follows:

So the connection is:
    Controller P/A into DYN4 Pin 13 AIN+
    Controller Gnd into DYN4 Pin25 AIN-
    Controller Gnd into DYN4 Pin1 Gnd
    Controller DIR to DYN4 DIR+ Pin 22
    Controller Gnd to DYN4 DIR- Pin 10
    The analog from the controller will control the spindle speed, the DIR output from controller will control the spindle rotation direction.

Pics attached of the ribbon cable at both ends.

The result is that I cannot control the spindle through the Mach 3 software. I can control all 3 axes on the mill, so I do know that Mach3 is talking to the mill. I can't help but think there is some settings in Mach 3 that aren't set up correctly.

Can any of you Mach maniacs guide me through a list of settings, or some such?

Thanking you in advance for any help,

Best,

Chris E.

Attachment 447442

Attachment 447444

Attachment 447446

Attachment 447448
    Have you checked the 0-10v output from the control board this is what has to be working before you can control the spindle
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Have you checked the 0-10v output from the control board this is what has to be working before you can control the spindle
    I have measured voltage between the P/A and Ground pins as Stephen (from DMM) requested. I got the following voltages:

M03 clockwise 4.40
    M04 counter clock .681
    M05 stop spindle .681

500 rpm 1.70
    1000 rpm 2.204
    2000 rpm 4.18
    3000 rpm 6.14
    4000 rpm 8.09

I have measured voltage between the P/A and Ground pins as Stephen (from DMM) requested. I got the following voltages:

M03 clockwise 4.40
    M04 counter clock .681
    M05 stop spindle .681

500 rpm 1.70
    1000 rpm 2.204
    2000 rpm 4.18
    3000 rpm 6.14
    4000 rpm 8.09
    So your voltage would be incorrect to run a servo by analog control you need to have +/- 10v you only have an output of 0-10v so to control the servo motor you will have to use Step/Dir control most control it through a spare axis but Mach3 has a Step/Dir spindle output so you may get that working to control the Drive and spindle speeds
    Mactec54

So your voltage would be incorrect to run a servo by analog control you need to have +/- 10v you only have an output of 0-10v so to control the servo motor you will have to use Step/Dir control most control it through a spare axis but Mach3 has a Step/Dir spindle output so you may get that working to control the Drive and spindle speeds
    Thank you Mactec54. Forgive me if I am not asking the right question, but is this the difference between avi and pwm? Syil told me the board handles both and jumper #5 is the difference between:
    (from Syil's email)
    1/2 pin closecircuit: PWM and AVI signal will work in lowactive;
    2/3 pin closecircuit: PWM and AVI signal will work in highactive.

Thank you!

Chris E.

Thank you Mactec54. Forgive me if I am not asking the right question, but is this the difference between avi and pwm? Syil told me the board handles both and jumper #5 is the difference between:
    (from Syil's email)
    1/2 pin closecircuit: PWM and AVI signal will work in lowactive;
    2/3 pin closecircuit: PWM and AVI signal will work in highactive.

Thank you!

Chris E.
    Active low and active high is normally just a direction change to run a servo like this you need a +/- 10v the normal PWM will only be 0-10v so if this is what you have it will not work

So unless there control says it can do analog +10v -10v output it is not going to work and you will have to use Step/Dir to control the spindle
    Mactec54

I believe the DMM drives accept step/dir inputs so you are correct that would be the way to go for him
    Active low and active high is normally just a direction change to run a servo like this you need a +/- 10v the normal PWM will only be 0-10v so if this is what you have it will not work

So unless there control says it can do analog +10v -10v output it is not going to work and you will have to use Step/Dir to control the spindle