584,837 active members*
5,879 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Windows 10 is a dog

If I could justify the price of a Mac or the hassle of a Hackintosh to run Fusion 360 I'd wipe this junk.
    That is all.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Re: Windows 10 is a dog

Fusion isn't all that intensive, IMO, but having enough RAM and an SSD sure makes a nice difference. I'd recommend at least 12gb of RAM for Windows 10. Lots try to get away with 8gb, and it just isn't enough in my opinion. The W10 work station I am on right now is using 9.5gb of it's 24gb of RAM, and I'm not doing any CAD/CAM. If I open a few models in Fusion it takes up another 2gb or RAM.

I have four MacBook Pro's though, and even my oldest one (mid 2011) still runs great. They all have 16gb of RAM and SSD's though.

I'm guessing that an automatic update got a bit intrusive and swallowed a chunk of the time you had allotted to producing some things.Its one of the reasons I run LinuxCNC-I choose when the updates happen.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    If I could justify the price of a Mac or the hassle of a Hackintosh to run Fusion 360 I'd wipe this junk.
    That is all.
    Sounds like you don't have enough computer power CPU Ram SSD Graphics a Mac would be no better if it did not have what is needed to run these programs
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    I'm guessing that an automatic update got a bit intrusive and swallowed a chunk of the time you had allotted to producing some things.Its one of the reasons I run LinuxCNC-I choose when the updates happen.
    It's pretty easy to turn off updates in total, or schedule them for off hours. The real pain in the ass updates are the Fusion updates.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Sounds like you don't have enough computer power CPU Ram SSD Graphics a Mac would be no better if it did not have what is needed to run these programs
    OSX is less resource intense than Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    No, it's not really intrusive with updates.

The computer has 16G of ram. The part that needs updating most is the graphics card although it's still on the acceptable list for Fusion. Originally it had a 60GB SSD for OS and software with a traditional HD for files. After seeing how quickly the Windows 7 chewed up HD space I removed the SSD for the Windows 10 install. The Windows partition on this computer (it's dual boot) is used mostly for Fusion and tax software, I've installed little else voluntarily. One thing I did install voluntarily is AVG, boy that was a mistake but now I'm afraid to uninstall it.

What's irritating isn't the speed so much as the unwanted software included and the feature bloat of previously simple things (looking at you File Explorer). What I really want from an OS is let me run my software and store files and otherwise stay out of my way, like a silent partner.

btw: at home I use mostly a distribution of Linux with a stripped down desktop. (feel free to roll eye's here**) Sometimes I get to play with the B-inlaws Mac and I sure do like it. .

** I don't want it to turn it into one of those kind of threads. Linux distributions have many warts, users even argue with each other over which ones the worst.

OSX is a pleasure to use, it is my favorite OS, and dollar for dollar my MacBooks have outperformed every PC I have ever had.

I run a Linux server as well as a Windows server in my home, as well as the entire IT department for day job. I don't dislike Linux, in fact, it's great for many things. I don't however pretend that it's the answer to everything like some people do.

If you aren't currently using an SSD (it's not clear), then you should go back to one. They are dirt cheap these days. 240gb is like $25.

Don't run any aftermarket anti-virus. Let Windows defender take care of it. I don't run any firewall at all actually, I turn it all off. But I do have some other network protections that I run.

I use W10 Pro, and do a clean install even with brand new computers. Assuming you aren't CPU strapped, your machine should do what you use it for without issue.

They are dirt cheap these days. 240gb is like $25.
    Wow I paid much more than that for the 60GB at the time. W10 is installed on a traditional platter drive, I forget the technical term. Hmm... another thing goes on the to-do list. I was a bit shocked how much space Windows 7 chewed up as I have one linuxcnc machine running on a 8GB DOM.

Oh yeah, I think Windows is up to like 40gb of disk space now. All those hot patches and what not really eat up space. Of course Windows has always been dirty software and it tends to accumulate garbage data, so that's nice. That said, I mostly satisfied with my W10 machines performance, both for my UCCNC controller and my work station.

Egads did I install an operating system or adware ?
    Dear Microsoft:
    Please allow me to run Fusion 360 and quit bothering with features and offers I don't want.
    Is there a way to turn this stuff off ?
    If this trend continues I wish Windows 11 all the success of Microsoft phones and the mighty Zune.
    Surely many people want all this stuff but for my simple needs 10 is a move backwards from 7.

Not short of ads is it?I do wonder how much of the computer's resources are dedicated to phoning home and how often it does it.I only use Windows on the work laptop these days and it has to pack quite a lot of performance to do a reasonable job.The reality is that with it's dominance on the home and office,most people won't know of any alternative and will just sit there and suffer the limitations.Yet the world's most common OS is Android and that takes adware and monitoring of usage to a whole new level.

Classic Shell does a nice job of cleaning up the start menu.

haha I still use windows 7 and work on linux and there are no problems between work and study, but I spend time on this site who wants to make money with me https://book-of-ra-play.com/learn-ho...ng-book-of-ra/